The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Well as I mentioned earlier I like the numbered edition Speedmaster and everything your post says basically applies to it. Were I to get one I certainly wouldn't expect it to appreciate in value, but at the discounted price I'm seeing I would expect it to hold it's value. Of course if it didn't I feel strongly enough that I would still love the watch considering how many different photos of Speedmaster references I've seen.

Ah, but I never said anyone said it's the worst option. I was simply saying there are worse options out there, though depending on the scope of your gaze probably even more better options.

Fair enough on the rest and I agree. I think I was just struck at some of the commentary as I personally hadn't seen or noticed it's like here before. Were the the watch a Rolex and there were a lot of "Omega fans" saying the same I'd surely have posted the same.

Anyway, no offense to you or anyone else. My apologies.

Let me first say that I'm definitely painting with broad strokes. That said I was very specifically referring to aesthetics in one way or another. As regards the Saxonia, I'd say that at looking at both watches that they are both of a similar style. The hour markers, minute markers and general face are pretty similar. You've also got the sub dials, which of course have their differences, but when you compare the faces they're pretty similar. Sure you've got different hands and the different text/font, but apart from that they are similar in appearance. And that was all I was saying. You could also add other watches that have this "style" if you ask me. All of that said, of course there are other major differences such as materials, case thickness, lugs, crowns, movement, finishing, etc that set the watches apart. However my post clearly states that I was comparing the watches in terms of how they look and I very clearly noted they look "similar" for the reasons I just stated. Also, I in no way compared the Orion to the 1815 nor does my post suggest I did. I clearly and simply was referring to the differences in price, my budget and my wanting an 1815.

My Swatch reference goes back to my perception of Swatch back in the 80s along with my somewhat my perception of Nomos now as they compared to other watches out there. For me they both occupy/occupied a space that was different than other watches as both were for the most part at the "lower end" of the spectrum in terms of price yet distinctive in terms of style. Of course there are a myriad of differences. And let me be clear here, I mean that as no slight to Nomos and again I actually like Nomos. Specifically to your point, I can see where you're coming from, but still for me the Tangomat, Club, Ludwig and Zurich all still have a "fashion" element to them. I hate to use that word, but "style" is an entirely different (yes, Nomos have a style as well) and would be too broad. Of course that doesn't mean that they aren't also something else, but with the distinctive looks of many of the Nomos watches they are very "fashionable." I could also say "artistic", but you could say that about a myriad of other watch brands and I felt "fashionable" was a more apt descriptor. And for me the Metro is their most typical example as of nearly all the models that Nomos make it is the one that I find the least like other watches out there for multiple reasons.

I would take back the part about it being a distinctive GMT as it's part down to appearance. however it for me definitely looks less "Nomos" than the majority of their other collections.

Wow, you move fast. [​IMG] I was eyeing up your Metro at the time. I remember it based on that photo and the strap.

2. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

I don't think it's fair use the word "fashion" to describe Nomos. They have a consistent and distinctive style, certainly, but it's not like it's based on some kind of meaningless passing trend.

I think they'll continue to be relevant and look good on the wrist long after most of what else is available in their price range has been forgotten. Good design isn't the same as fashion.

By the way, spoiler tags are considerate when quoting long posts, people.

3. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Great points. I completely agree that Nomos indeed haven't pitched themselves to be trendy or youthful like Swatch. I think they simply are "trendy" and "youthful" because of the product they make for multiple reasons you mentioned. I also agree that only real watch lovers might see them as modestly priced and for me it's all relative. I've actually thrown out Nomos to a few friends and co-workers who I felt might like them. They're however ignorant of the watch world and specifically pricing and when I tell them they could get one for about $2k they look at me like I'm crazy.

Like I said, I was definitely painting in broad strokes.

4. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

I can understand after re-reading my initial post where the use of "fashion" comes across as wrong. And it is no matter how you slice it. That said I did use quotes for a reason. I think "distinctive style" is a better way to put it. Good design is most definitely not the same as fashion.

I agree that they'll definitely continue to be relevant for some time as I think that at minimum they'll always have a strong core of enthusiasts.

Anyway, putting the mouse down and climbing down from the tree.

5. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Pretty much a waste for an industry outsider. Friends of mine that are journalists who cover watches, said unless you have been invited as press, you are a buyer for a big chain, or you know someone, you won't have access to much of anything.

You said, "There are plenty of worse options out there." I was simply saying no one called it the worst option. But is something "Not being the worst option" a good reason to buy one? I doubt most people would buy a car if one of the sales person's most compelling sales points was "There are worse options out there."

As for you being "Struck at some of the commentaries." Commentaries here on new releases tend to be very blunt and critical regardless of brand. Perhaps you should merely have chalked it up to this design striking a very negative chord with a lot of people.

Not every design is a success. And hopefully, whether a design failure is from Omega, Rolex, AP, PP, VC, Lange, JLC, Piaget, Cartier, GP, GO etc...all we can hope is that manufacturers will learn from their mistakes and provide better designs/products in the future. To sugar coat things and pretend something is more appealing that it is, doesn't help manufacturers nor does it help a brand's fans to get better products.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016

6. BostonHedonist

BostonHedonist Senior member

Nomos is kind of the exact opposite of fashion.

They're mid market, don't appropriate, don't cater much to major market trends or try to set them, don't charge a premium for a name, don't build a bloated marketing budget into the price tag...They do remain aesthetically consistent, know their customers and are so stylistically minimalist that the wearer, on any given city day, stands about a 1.5 percent chance of another person casually recognizing his watch and even then, maybe a 10 percent chance of being "envied" in any way for it. The Nomos wearer, as far as I can tell, picks the Nomos for his own sake rather than for the purpose of trying to add something interesting to the collective aesthetic environment.

I posit that Nomos is, in fact, the Anti-fashion watch.

7. alford78

alford78 Well-Known Member

If they would freakin quit putting blued hands on gold patina indices dials on the Orion series it would help IMO. I love the blued hands but not with the golden indices. It's just wrong I think. That case is way more stylish to me than the super thin lugs on the others but I'd like blued hands with silver, black, or even blue markers- heck almost any color other than what they provide. I haven't had enough interest to see if could just buy a model with silver markers and buy blued hands to change out. That could be an option if could get a hand set rather cheap.

I also like the tonneau case model but they put the tiny lugs on it which threw it out as an option for me too!!! The dial and case look good and is of modest size which is rare.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016

8. alford78

What I really wish one could buy is a nice regulator for under $10,000. There are two or three that have me pondering purchasing that are under $5,000 but just don't know if they will draw to me once on the wrist. May just have to buy a used one for a couple grand just to see. There are 3-4 priced between $10,000 and $40,000 that I love but that's just a lot of dough for a simple complication. It would be hard not to buy a perpetual calendar instead at those prices.

9. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Pi...

AWhile this is not the normal TWAT material, this is my new addition to the stable. This is a Garmin Fenix2 which I bought more for the GPS running capability than the smart watch abilities but I decided to wear it today to get used to it. It can go 50hrs in just watch mode and a little less if I use the Bluetooth to have messages sent to my wrist. It has other neat features like thermometer, barometric altimeter, compass, and other GPS based features.

Overall it is kind of a cool casual watch that I may wear every now and then but that was not the main reason for the watch. It will not replace my Rolex as I doubt a smart watch ever will.

[​IMG]

10. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

Some pics would be helpful to offer context. But the IWC portuguese (ref. 5444) regulator can be had for less than 5k in ss.

11. no frills

no frills Senior member

I love these TWAT discussions. Just saying.

12. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

You're welcome. I commented in celebration of your birthday. Shake shack is on me next time I'm in town.

13. no frills

no frills Senior member

Woh! Thanks bruh!

14. alford78

Ok. I'll try to update that for the sake of everyone interested here soon.

And, the IWC is one of them I was pondering just something about it doesn't say, "hey, buy me! I'm right for you".

15. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

No one had to call it the worst option for a remark like "there are plenty of worse options out there" to still be used and make sense. And I'm not suggesting anyone buy one. I wouldn't.

Perhaps, but again I had yet to see that sort of reaction in relatively brief time posting in the TWAT threads so hence my comment and further explanation.

I agree.