1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SonofOctober

SonofOctober Member

a

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. SonofOctober

SonofOctober Member

Good for Tudor. The Black Bay line is a strong foot forward, and really one of the best options at 3-5K.

Still go with Nomos in that range, but other than that there's not much out there.

3. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Black Bay is great, and I don't see UPS here, but not a fan of the Bronze edition. Would have preferred a green bezel version.

Looking forward to seeing what happens at Basel.

4. mimo

mimo Senior member

As I happened to be wearing this one today, a couple of quick pics: Longines Flagship Column Wheel Chronograph - Silver Dial. Note the blued column wheel in the second pic. Well under $2k new on a bracelet; I added a gator strap for about $100 that I think really makes it. The low contrast dial made it a little too formal for a casual sports watch, but on a strap I think it becomes a modern sort-of-dress-watch really well.

There are a lot of versions; I like the "Heritage" line a lot, of which the cream dial with gold markers on a brown croc strap is a standout. @RogerP has the super cool 1973 Chrono with the same movement in a cushion case for a retro sporty aesthetic. It's awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As i said before, it's not going to win any bragging contests, but it's a well made watch with a classy take on a proven movement, and I'm surprised by how many compliments it gets in this rather dull version!

I want to like this more than I do. Conceptually, I like the idea of a bronze cased dive watch. I like the use of brown to go with it. I like the woven strap. But, UPS aside, I'm not quite loving it. Maybe if the dial were brown instead of the bezel? And bronze watches make me think of Archimede at the value end, or Helson in this price bracket, and neither are quite historical or luxury enough to stand up to this brand identity.

OK, I'll come out and say it: I fear it looks a bit cheap, with too many elements in imperfect order and the association of bronze with lesser items. If they'd done something extra fancy and rare like the PAM 507 it might be an interesting curiosity for BB lovers. But as a mainstream option, as it stands it's a bit of an ugly sister. I'd rather see it with the burgundy, blue or black bezels, and one of their straps too.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    3 people like this.
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

Just had a further thought on the Bronze Bay: on the positive side, it now looks nothing at all like a Submariner. :)

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Thanks Mimi and yours does indeed work well as a dressy chrono - very nice indeed.

7. TwoStep

TwoStep Senior member

[​IMG]

Today's watch

5 people like this.
  8. TwoStep

TwoStep Senior member

Amazing piece. I do not see why any serious person would choose a RM over an AP. RM to me, feels like it is for the same crowd that carries Hublot.

1 person likes this.
  9. aol910

aol910 Member

Quick question. Does anyone her know of, and maybe have experience with, a good watchmaker in Philadelphia? I need to service my out of warranty Hamilton.

10. mimo

mimo Senior member

Don't call me Mimi. It's not the weekend.

2 people like this.
  11. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

Yes, they made this white (Sieffert) version and a black dialed version. I actually like the 70s case better, but it wasn't really a reissue but rather a modern interpretation. Also, they probably could have sold twice as many if they omitted TAG branding.

12. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

I think the Eberhard Extra Fort for sub 2k is a phenomenal value.

[​IMG]

Also, the cases on Hublot are pretty amazing. I personally wouldn't look to purchase one, but you see more of them on Madison avenue than you would think.

Finally, there is an interesting auction going on now. What looks like a clean Bovet Chrono and a gold filled JLC Memovox. I'm not sure if that Bovet looks like the dial is refinished. The pictures are pretty terrible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-wa...481386?hash=item4afb0c842a:g:SXEAAOSwu1VW5iXm

1 person likes this.
  13. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Lol facking auto correct.

14. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Someone mentioned a few pages back some hesitancy in wearing Rolex compared to other brands that are more under the radar. I got a Submariner in my early 30s and sold it within weeks for this very reason, I couldn't get over the admittedly cliched 'judgements' made about people wearing that specific watch. I didn't get another 'nice' watch for several years, until I got an oyster bracelet, silver stick dial DateJust. For me, it was the perfect daily wearer and I decided to just get over any perceived connotations.

The end result? I've never been asked about it once in 2 years, by friends/family/strangers. Not once. My take is that non-WIS people pay absolutely zero attention to what is on your wrist, assuming it's not garish. I suppose if I was sporting an everrose gold Daytona, for example, it would get noticed. But the sport Rolex watches, aside from perhaps the BLNR/Hulk because of the color pop, are just not going to get noticed. And for me, that's great. Some people want that brand to get noticed, I want it because of all the compelling reasons to own one aside from that.

A combination of my 40th birthday and 2nd child being born this year are going to have me commemorating with another watch. For a laundry list of reasons, I have quite a few Rolex sport models on that list, and almost nothing else. So, bottom line, I would not worry about any perceptions and simply get what makes you happy...

3 people like this.
  15. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Yeah it's big. Here it is with the RO Perpetual that came in at the same time (SS/PT LE, so cool! I'll post pics later)

[​IMG]

I was a very early supporter of Richard Mille. I had an RM002 in 2003. The high end pieces are still very cool to me, although crazy prices. The 10/11 thing I will never understand.

1 person likes this.
  16. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG]Love the SS/Platinum RO perpetual. I tried one on many years ago. It is really a beautiful piece.

RM...I've never liked them. As mentioned earlier there are lots of other watches I'd rather have for the same money or less.

17. dopey

dopey Senior member

Last week someone asked me if the watch I was wearing was a Rolex.
    It wasn't.
    it was, however a TAG Professional 1000, which is a submariner copycat, so I wasn't surprised by the question, even if I was surprised by the question.
    I was given it in the late 80s.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. atia2

atia2 Senior member

I'm guessing this happened around midday or midnight?

1 person likes this.
  19. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

Here's the RO Perpetual in Steel/Platinum. HOLY SMOKES this is a hot watch. Very strongly considering keeping this one for myself

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  20. iLuveketchup

iLuveketchup Senior member

In my experience, the Rolex Sub (and GMT) are the most recognized watches for a non-WIS.

1 person likes this.