1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TheWraith

TheWraith Well-Known Member

I have slender wrists as well. Anything from 34mm to 42mm (but no higher) looks good on me. If you have the slender wrists to pull off the 34mm watch (as Renaut above surely does), and you love the watch you're wearing, it will look good on you at that size. That's all that matters.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  2. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Well-Known Member

Looks like Nomos is doing a Neomatik Tetra.

3. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Dial size is important as you mentioned, and case shape, lugs, strap...and personal proportions. But I think this is something that makes a massive difference: I wear my 35mm Omega with a proper shirt regularly. Its smaller size and gently aged decrepitude make it subtle and classy imho. Most people don't notice it, and those who do are usually people who like watches, and appreciate the simplicity and personal story amid a sea of shallow bling. A smaller watch as a dress watch is classy, and more manly because of it!

But with a short sleeved polo it would look odd. For that I tend to go for the 40mm pilot - on which the tiny bezel/large dial and un-tapered strap make it wear a touch bigger. I think larger and smaller watches both have their place, but I don't think I'd go bigger than 40mm for a dress watch, or smaller than that for the casual sporty look.

1 person likes this.
  4. rnguy001

rnguy001 Well-Known Member

I think this looks pretty damn good..

HA. That would have done it for me too..

5. Omega Male

Omega Male Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Called the Bond St. boutique less than 5 minutes after this dropped at Baselworld and am now #6 on their list. Could hear the phones ringing off the hook in the background ...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. rnguy001

7. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Fantastic! And here's hoping Bond Street get at least seven.

Quote: But how about a 36mm Black Bay? A real sleeper perhaps, if the price is right.

[​IMG]

I'll let someone else dissect the new Monza! Not sure TWAT will love it (why so big, and so loud?), but I'm pretty sure they'll sell a few. It's the bright red Mustang GT of wristwatches.

As for the latest special edition Speedmaster, I think it's fun. And after all, without an Omega special edition, well, it just wouldn't be Wednesday.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    3 people like this.
  8. bkotsko

bkotsko Well-Known Member

The sleeper for me is the new Black Bay black (not the PVD version) at 41mm with the in house movement and the riveted bracelet and fully drilled springbar holes.
    [​IMG]

Those subtle differences made it a winner for me and on the next shortlist.

4 people like this.
  9. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

God Dam*it....

1 person likes this.
  10. Steel28

Steel28 Well-Known Member

I knew this day would come. New Daytona-C is freaking BOOM!

I'm 4th on the list at my AD. Most likely it will come before my PP 5711..still waiting for it. Damn.

1 person likes this.
  11. robw

robw Well-Known Member

Wow. Looks like Rolex hit one out of the park here. Can't decide if I like the white dial more than the black. My current Daytona is a white dial but the new bezel looks really nice with the black dial. Will have to wait to see one in real life.

12. tigerpac

tigerpac Well-Known Member

I knew buying a Daytona less 2 months ago would spur the ceramic bezel!! [​IMG]

And they updated the Explorer I a bit, the other model I bought less than 2 years ago... Rolex why do you hate me??

13. Keith T

Keith T Well-Known Member

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!

*calls AD*

1 person likes this.
  14. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Well-Known Member

I do prefer the Tudor rose logo over the crest.

1 person likes this.
  15. tricky

tricky Well-Known Member

Man that Daytona is something special.

16. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

Today's WSJ - That 6200 is a beaut.

[​IMG]

17. rnguy001

@no frills - so that new Daytona.....

18. mimo

mimo Well-Known Member

Even without little no-bezel ones and big bronze ones, there is a lot to think about already: my most recent bit of airport time wasting attempted to address the issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Well-Known Member

Exactly. I bought the Explorer about a month ago and told myself that the minute hand length was intentional! I'm actually not sure I would prefer the return to lumed numerals - I quite like the full rhodium numerals in the existing explorer. Mine also keeps phenomenal time so the new certification isn't a meaningful difference.

1 person likes this.
  20. bawlin

bawlin Well-Known Member

Anyone know US retail on the new Daytona? And yes, Rolex hit a home-run with this.