• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Whenever BlancpaiN finally downsizes this bad boy to something a little more reasonable (like 42mm), I'd be sorely tempted to get one.

Hell, I'm actually *somewhat* tempted at 45mm... but with those proportions it would just compete with my Radiomir for wrist time.

Black-dialed sport watches will be the death of me :D

This is an old pic from a tyre-kicking excursion that I've posted before...just always loved the history behind the 50 Fathoms, and I do especially like that sapphire bezel.

Having said that-- as it stands right now, I would probably prefer a 114060 as a modern diver classic. And this is the rare case where the Rolex is actually a less-expensive option.

OzWino

Reaction score
Thanks for those sites @Journeyman. I'll add those to my reading list. Once you start down this path you realise how much there is to learn, but therein lies the pleasure also.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Should always take a look at the latest Planet Oceans when lurking in the dive watch waters.

As for the Blancpain: Wish they would downsize the FF as well. Loved the Tribute to the Aqua Lung version they did a few years ago but still 45mm.

firenze_rob

Reaction score
With respect to a smaller FF, there is the 43mm bathyscaphe. I actually prefer the looks of this version more. The case is pretty sweet, but the dial may put people off. I think if you can find one for 5-6k, not a bad deal.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I much prefer the normal FF to the Bathyscaphe version, which looks like something from one of those fly-by-night "microbrands". I just don't find the design is very coherent, and the bold Arial on the bezel is pure lame-o. :|

firenze_rob

Reaction score
good points. i do like the syringe hands of the brachyscaphe...but let's be honest, not too many people are running to their AD and saying, I need to have a Blancpain.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Agreed.

A few elements are nice, but take "Blancpain" off the dial and there's not much to distinguish the overall look from the made-in-China catalogue-component stuff the off-brands that flog their wares on noob-heavy watch forums put out.

To be fair, at least the movement looks the part.

Last edited:

firenze_rob

Reaction score
A quick look at ebay this morning yielded a Camaro with an asking price of $4,500 USD. Oh the humanity.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I always liked the simplicity and difference of the Bathyscaphe. But two things have ruined it for me: first, when I got to try it on it sat very high and awkwardly on my wrist, making it wear even bigger than 43mm, and that rather goes against its understated charms. And second, not for the first time, Belligero has ruined it with his Arial observation. ******.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Bathyscape more than the original FF personally. Could never get the "toilet seat cover" picture out of my mind once someone brought it up.. But either watch is superbly made, aesthetics aside. I like the simplicity of the new Bathyscape, but don't like the date position. Plus it's in a rather expensive tier if bought new and has plenty of great competitors in that range.

I also think you can't go wrong with Rolex for a dive watch, but some of the things the OP was asking has me wondering, if he truly wants one because of the reputation? Buying something hoping to fall in love with it (regardless of its outstanding reputation and TWAT affection), is a risky move IMO.

But again, there's nothing wrong with getting a bit of first hand perspective from Rolex owners about what makes Rolex so.. Rolex.. I have to admit I came around a bit after spending years on here. PS - THANKS

R

sorry for the crappy ol' pic.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been wearing a quartz TAG-Hueur Profesional 1000 for decades. Apart from being the current President's watch, it is pretty much a direct copy of the Rolex Submariner. It is also, as far as I can tell, the perfect dive watch design and there is nothing I would change about it other than getting rid of the stupid date counter.
If I were looking to buy a new dive watch, I would likely start and end my search with a Submariner, though I would also certainly consider a Seamaster. That seems to be the sweet spot for a pretend tool watch. Going up the price scale seems profligate and down the scale makes the most sense only if you intend to actually use it.

Last edited:

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
My biggest gripe on the Bathyscaphe would be the smallish hour markers. Just seems like too much dial space on that watch to me.

(All personal preference).

Nice Sea-Dweller, rnguy001! You're welcome LOL.

tigerpac- Should always take a look at the latest Planet Oceans when lurking in the dive watch waters.

As for the Blancpain: Wish they would downsize the FF as well. Loved the Tribute to the Aqua Lung version they did a few years ago but still 45mm.

^^^And +1 to all of this. ^^^

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Back to the original question of suitable desk divers, some good suggestions so far. But given the consensus (and I do not dissent) on the perfection of the Rolex Submariner, I thought I'd come at it from a different angle: some people, maybe a lot of people, feel that a Rolex is just too recognisable to ever be subtle. So what is like a Submariner, but not a Submariner?

- More than $5k new but easy to find cheaper than a Sub
- 40mm case size
- 300ATM depth rating ("proper" dive watch!)

I give you: Blancpain Specialities GMT (smaller than the Bathy, bigger hour markers, different). Breitling Montbrilliant (technically for flying not diving, but also flies at the correct depth rating). Panerai 48 (or white dial 49, or 241; apparently Panerais are dive watches - who knew?)

Wild card: 42mm case size exception brings you the Girard Perregaux Seahawk.

There are plenty of others if you want a big beast, and plenty that are cheaper, but sometimes it's fun to compare like for like. I still think the Sub would win against any of those, and Breitling and Panerai are pretty recognisable. But, you know, just in case. In the mean time, I wear a Seiko Orange Monster to the beach. :)

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to the original question of suitable desk divers, some good suggestions so far. But given the consensus (and I do not dissent) on the perfection of the Rolex Submariner, I thought I'd come at it from a different angle: some people, maybe a lot of people, feel that a Rolex is just too recognisable to ever be subtle. So what is like a Submariner, but not a Submariner?

- More than $5k new but easy to find cheaper than a Sub
- 40mm case size
- 300ATM depth rating ("proper" dive watch!)

I give you: Blancpain Specialities GMT (smaller than the Bathy, bigger hour markers, different). Breitling Montbrilliant (technically for flying not diving, but also flies at the correct depth rating). Panerai 48 (or white dial 49, or 241; apparently Panerais are dive watches - who knew?)

Wild card: 42mm case size exception brings you the Girard Perregaux Seahawk.

There are plenty of others if you want a big beast, and plenty that are cheaper, but sometimes it's fun to compare like for like. I still think the Sub would win against any of those, and Breitling and Panerai are pretty recognisable. But, you know, just in case. In the mean time, I wear a Seiko Orange Monster to the beach. :)

I would have to throw in the Tudor BB and Pelagos as 2 options that would be viable. (Yes, bigger than 40mm)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads