• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jamesbond1

Reaction score
Latest Sotheby's Watch auction shows real weakness in the market?

I think we are seeing the beginning of deflating watch bubble. If Sotheby's could not sell Rolexes and Off Shores than what is next?
I am quite surprised by how weak the bidding was from all deep-pockets customers.
It’s about damn time things go back to not being insane!

Reactions: RSS

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Watched a few trade show episodes from NY and FL. Watches? This shit ain't rare. Grey dealers have humongous stocks. They gobble up so many desirable watches that it is no wonder desirbales are doubling tripling in price, One hedge fund should come and corner the whole market. What does it take 20 mill 100 mil to make a monopoly?
IMHO, if you are buying anything other than big three at retail, you are giving money away.
Are grey market dealers doing to watches what the Hunts did to silver?

Nickd

Reaction score
Latest Sotheby's Watch auction shows real weakness in the market?

I think we are seeing the beginning of deflating watch bubble. If Sotheby's could not sell Rolexes and Off Shores than what is next?
I am quite surprised by how weak the bidding was from all deep-pockets customers.
?
I only watched the Rolexes, but I saw a load of watches sell for around the estimate, with the odd one not sold. With 25% plus taxes on top of those prices, plus local tax. So for me that would be 25% plus 20%, plus duty. I don’t think any of those were close to giveaway prices.

At best a slowing down of the rise. I certainly wouldn’t say a deflation.

an draoi

Reaction score
David Lane's reputation is excellent, and the work looks fantastic, so if he can do what you want, definitely a great choice + support a Styleforum vendor, and located in the USA.

If he cannot for some reason, then Toshi Straps, in the UK (Rich...I do not recall his last name atm) also do custom straps, with a heavy concentration on Panerai. He has a vast selection of colors, etc. I have worn some of his straps for over 10 years now; the quality is very good. Production and shipping was very fast, service completely professional.

Toshi Panerai gallery.
A belated +1 for Toshi. I have a couple of straps from Rich (Beard).

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah, trying to rationalize cost doesn't make sense. I mean, step back for a second and realize you’re paying thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of $$$ for something that tells time.
True, all this watch business is highly irrational. I appreciate some design aesthetics, but ultimately these mass produced consumer goods don't stir any emotions in me.

Last edited:

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
?
I only watched the Rolexes, but I saw a load of watches sell for around the estimate, with the odd one not sold. With 25% plus taxes on top of those prices, plus local tax. So for me that would be 25% plus 20%, plus duty. I don’t think any of those were close to giveaway prices.

At best a slowing down of the rise. I certainly wouldn’t say a deflation.
Very many APs and Rolexes did not reach minimum reserve of low estimate. That is what surprised me at Sotheby's.
BTW, get yourself shipping forwarding account with one of the companies like planet express, forward to me or zenmarket and stop paying VAT and duties. I ship from around the World to Europe and do not pay the fees.

Newcomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we are definitely seeing the end of the Rolex bubble. People were paying loads of money for watches that are not THAT scarce. Whether it extends to the rest of the market, we will see.

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we are definitely seeing the end of the Rolex bubble. People were paying loads of money for watches that are not THAT scarce. Whether it extends to the rest of the market, we will see.
This has been called as often and as successfully as the top of the stock market in the last 10 years or so.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.