• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we are definitely seeing the end of the Rolex bubble. People were paying loads of money for watches that are not THAT scarce. Whether it extends to the rest of the market, we will see.
Rolex makes about 1 million watches a year, right? Is there any loose breakdown of how many per model?

It’s really gotta be a good number of GMTs and Daytonas made per year in comparison to Patek’s 50K or ALS’s 5K total output

Last edited:

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is one of the more interesting complications I’ve seen. In theory I’m down with all of the theoretically superior time keeping functions like tourbillons, constant force mechanisms, etc. In practice, however, I don’t think those watches are better at keeping time than fairly basic time only models from Rolex and Omega. So this to me is interesting in a similar manner to a minute repeater or the zeitwork.

Given how I tend to think about watches, I’m unlikely to ever go for something beyond a chrono complication, but if I were it would be something fun like this rather than a perp cal or tourby. Throw all that out the window if I’m getting an FP Journe of course.

This cements Chaykin's position in my mind as one of the greatest post-modern watchmakers:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a week-long vacation in Orlando. Went to Disney Springs the final evening mainly so my son could go to the Lego store, but I also stopped in the watch shop while my wife was looking at clothes. I knew that store was a Zenith retailer, and I mainly wanted to try on a Defy Classic that I mentioned several pages ago on this thread. I also tried on a few others:

Zenith Defy Classic. I was excited to try this on, but after seeing and feeling it in person, my interest has decreased significantly. I still like the design, and the titanium is cool, but it really is rather plain. I also wish it had no date at all, but the white-background date wheel is no good. It should be black or match the rest of the dial. And, besides, as @TheFoo suggested when I first mentioned this watch, if I'm considering a Zenith, why wouldn't I consider a chronograph, such as...

El Primero 38mm (not the new Chronomaster Sport). My right wrist is ~6.75", and I think the 38mm (pictured) fit much better than the 42mm which I also tried on. I really like this watch. I was skeptical of the date at 4:30 (would prefer no date at all), but in person not really a big deal.

Black dial El Primero 42mm. I'd never seen this before online, and it jumped out at my in the displace case so I tried it on. Very cool in my opinion, but I think the 42mm is too big for me with this particular piece. Salesperson said it was discontinued and "once it's gone, it's gone," but it's not hard to find online if I were to change my mind.

Bulgari Octo Roma. I've been interested in this for a while, and was happy to see this place carried Bulgari. I'm not a fan of the Octo Finissimo because of the power reserve indicator, but I like the overall shape, and I love the blue of this one. Again, wish it didn't have a date, but at least it's close to the color of the dial. Still really like this in person, especially with the ridiculously thin movement. If I bought this, I think I'd be wearing this to the office most of the time.

I'm really liking that 38mm white dial El Primero and have been thinking about it a lot. I'm still "on the list" for a 36mm Explorer with the local Rolex AD, but who knows where I am on whatever list there is, given my minimal purchase history with them. I didn't get too far into numbers with the salesperson, but I didn't get the feeling I'd get a great deal on it. I have the store manager's card along with his and the salesperson's cell numbers, so I guess I can see what type of a potential deal I can work out via text if I decide to do so. I'll just have to make sure it's what I really want, as I don't want to waste their time only to back out. God knows I do enough negotiating for my day job.

ryanluo23

Reaction score
Watched the latest Jenni's video and reminisced about homecoming

montecristo#2

Reaction score
If the bubble pops on Rolex and Patek it’s going to pop on everything.
I’m not so sure. The craze has brought a lot of new enthusiasts into the market who have discovered that there is more to high end horology than Rolex. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

suttonzach

Reaction score
Whenever my wife and are watching a movie or TV show and see a couple like us, we shout “WGWAG”! Once we did it when a friend was over and he was like wtf. We explained. Didn’t help.

WGWAG is eternal.
Nothing quite like an AutoAdmit crossover post

R.I.P nutella

Gabagool

Reaction score
Finally have something to post, it’s the first watch I’ve ever bought for myself and the third watch in my collection (already own two hand me down Tudors). Originally had my eye on the Black Bay Chrono but quickly realized it would be too big on my six inch wrist. So, went for this instead.

Attachments

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the bvlgari is just super dimensional, almost op art effect and fits your wrist terrifically. it's def jewelry territory

Nickd

Reaction score
This has been called as often and as successfully as the top of the stock market in the last 10 years or so.
Very true.

When (or if) supply is greater than demand then the bubble will pop. It doesn’t matter that Rolex make a million watches, if 1.2 million people want to buy them then they will trade for a premium.

It is a bubble as far as new watches go, they are being bought and sold for more than their intrinsic value. Vintage isn’t tied to that as there are no more being made. It doesn’t necessarily mean either will drop significantly in value - I know plenty of people who are waiting for that to happen in housing, and it hasn’t happened in a very long time.

Corrections are likely, close to certain. A significant and permanent drop across the entire sector? I don’t think so.

emiratiAL

Reaction score
Does anyone own a Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso?

I'm thinking of getting one for my engagement and would be interested in getting an owner's opinion, and possibly photos. I currently own a Rolex Explorer (214270) which I love and wear daily, but if I'm going to get another watch I'm thinking of something more formal and classic.

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
Does anyone own a Jaeger Lecoultre Reverso?

I'm thinking of getting one for my engagement and would be interested in getting an owner's opinion, and possibly photos. I currently own a Rolex Explorer (214270) which I love and wear daily, but if I'm going to get another watch I'm thinking of something more formal and classic.
I used to have one. Liked it but a little too formal for my taste. Hard to dress down but I think it's possible if you go for an SS/WG variant.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.