• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Are grey market dealers doing to watches what the Hunts did to silver?
I had to Google that. o_O

Rolex I like
rx-6036-TripDateCal-1.jpg

Also there are couple of wooden dials coming up for sale in Geneve.
H20784-L257413383_original.jpg

Last edited:

Nickd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest Sotheby's Watch auction shows real weakness in the market?

I think we are seeing the beginning of deflating watch bubble. If Sotheby's could not sell Rolexes and Off Shores than what is next?
I am quite surprised by how weak the bidding was from all deep-pockets customers.

?
I only watched the Rolexes, but I saw a load of watches sell for around the estimate, with the odd one not sold. With 25% plus taxes on top of those prices, plus local tax. So for me that would be 25% plus 20%, plus duty. I don’t think any of those were close to giveaway prices.

At best a slowing down of the rise. I certainly wouldn’t say a deflation.

an draoi

Reaction score
David Lane's reputation is excellent, and the work looks fantastic, so if he can do what you want, definitely a great choice + support a Styleforum vendor, and located in the USA.

If he cannot for some reason, then Toshi Straps, in the UK (Rich...I do not recall his last name atm) also do custom straps, with a heavy concentration on Panerai. He has a vast selection of colors, etc. I have worn some of his straps for over 10 years now; the quality is very good. Production and shipping was very fast, service completely professional.

Toshi Panerai gallery.
A belated +1 for Toshi. I have a couple of straps from Rich (Beard).

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yeah, trying to rationalize cost doesn't make sense. I mean, step back for a second and realize you’re paying thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of $$$ for something that tells time.
True, all this watch business is highly irrational. I appreciate some design aesthetics, but ultimately these mass produced consumer goods don't stir any emotions in me.

Last edited:

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
?
I only watched the Rolexes, but I saw a load of watches sell for around the estimate, with the odd one not sold. With 25% plus taxes on top of those prices, plus local tax. So for me that would be 25% plus 20%, plus duty. I don’t think any of those were close to giveaway prices.

At best a slowing down of the rise. I certainly wouldn’t say a deflation.
Very many APs and Rolexes did not reach minimum reserve of low estimate. That is what surprised me at Sotheby's.
BTW, get yourself shipping forwarding account with one of the companies like planet express, forward to me or zenmarket and stop paying VAT and duties. I ship from around the World to Europe and do not pay the fees.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are definitely seeing the end of the Rolex bubble. People were paying loads of money for watches that are not THAT scarce. Whether it extends to the rest of the market, we will see.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are definitely seeing the end of the Rolex bubble. People were paying loads of money for watches that are not THAT scarce. Whether it extends to the rest of the market, we will see.
This has been called as often and as successfully as the top of the stock market in the last 10 years or so.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rolex makes about 1 million watches a year, right? Is there any loose breakdown of how many per model?

It’s really gotta be a good number of GMTs and Daytonas made per year in comparison to Patek’s 50K or ALS’s 5K total output

Last edited:

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is one of the more interesting complications I’ve seen. In theory I’m down with all of the theoretically superior time keeping functions like tourbillons, constant force mechanisms, etc. In practice, however, I don’t think those watches are better at keeping time than fairly basic time only models from Rolex and Omega. So this to me is interesting in a similar manner to a minute repeater or the zeitwork.

Given how I tend to think about watches, I’m unlikely to ever go for something beyond a chrono complication, but if I were it would be something fun like this rather than a perp cal or tourby. Throw all that out the window if I’m getting an FP Journe of course.

This cements Chaykin's position in my mind as one of the greatest post-modern watchmakers:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a week-long vacation in Orlando. Went to Disney Springs the final evening mainly so my son could go to the Lego store, but I also stopped in the watch shop while my wife was looking at clothes. I knew that store was a Zenith retailer, and I mainly wanted to try on a Defy Classic that I mentioned several pages ago on this thread. I also tried on a few others:

VAvZ6wUh.jpg

Zenith Defy Classic. I was excited to try this on, but after seeing and feeling it in person, my interest has decreased significantly. I still like the design, and the titanium is cool, but it really is rather plain. I also wish it had no date at all, but the white-background date wheel is no good. It should be black or match the rest of the dial. And, besides, as @TheFoo suggested when I first mentioned this watch, if I'm considering a Zenith, why wouldn't I consider a chronograph, such as...

heaSOkph.jpg

El Primero 38mm (not the new Chronomaster Sport). My right wrist is ~6.75", and I think the 38mm (pictured) fit much better than the 42mm which I also tried on. I really like this watch. I was skeptical of the date at 4:30 (would prefer no date at all), but in person not really a big deal.

EtVYz0eh.jpg

Black dial El Primero 42mm. I'd never seen this before online, and it jumped out at my in the displace case so I tried it on. Very cool in my opinion, but I think the 42mm is too big for me with this particular piece. Salesperson said it was discontinued and "once it's gone, it's gone," but it's not hard to find online if I were to change my mind.

Jm2yXorh.jpg

Bulgari Octo Roma. I've been interested in this for a while, and was happy to see this place carried Bulgari. I'm not a fan of the Octo Finissimo because of the power reserve indicator, but I like the overall shape, and I love the blue of this one. Again, wish it didn't have a date, but at least it's close to the color of the dial. Still really like this in person, especially with the ridiculously thin movement. If I bought this, I think I'd be wearing this to the office most of the time.

I'm really liking that 38mm white dial El Primero and have been thinking about it a lot. I'm still "on the list" for a 36mm Explorer with the local Rolex AD, but who knows where I am on whatever list there is, given my minimal purchase history with them. I didn't get too far into numbers with the salesperson, but I didn't get the feeling I'd get a great deal on it. I have the store manager's card along with his and the salesperson's cell numbers, so I guess I can see what type of a potential deal I can work out via text if I decide to do so. I'll just have to make sure it's what I really want, as I don't want to waste their time only to back out. God knows I do enough negotiating for my day job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads