• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Drek Galloche

Reaction score
Watched a few trade show episodes from NY and FL. Watches? This shit ain't rare. Grey dealers have humongous stocks. They gobble up so many desirable watches that it is no wonder desirbales are doubling tripling in price, One hedge fund should come and corner the whole market. What does it take 20 mill 100 mil to make a monopoly?
IMHO, if you are buying anything other than big three at retail, you are giving money away.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Watched a few trade show episodes from NY and FL. Watches? This shit ain't rare. Grey dealers have humongous stocks. They gobble up so many desirable watches that it is no wonder desirbales are doubling tripling in price, One hedge fund should come and corner the whole market. What does it take 20 mill 100 mil to make a monopoly?
IMHO, if you are buying anything other than big three at retail, you are giving money away.
Somewhat of a narrow point of view. Some collectors, myself included, buy whatever we want and we prefer AD’s for warranty and authenticity purposes. I never look at a watch and think “oh, I’ll lose money on that.” I look at a watch and think, “do I love it?”

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhat of a narrow point of view. Some collectors, myself included, buy whatever we want and we prefer AD’s for warranty and authenticity purposes. I never look at a watch and think “oh, I’ll lose money on that.” I look at a watch and think, “do I love it?”
yeah, trying to rationalize cost doesn't make sense. I mean, step back for a second and realize you’re paying thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of $$$ for something that tells time.

mebiuspower

Reaction score
Basically this. Everyone is crypto rich and youtube rich...

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love a good three-quarter plate.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In what sense is IWC behind GO (at least as regards the Portugieser and Senator lines)?
It isn't.
They are in different segments. GO does make finer watches with more refined movements and more often in precious metal cases. But I don’t know that makes IWC “behind” when they aren’t trying to do the same thing.

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
Really enjoying the process with Benzinger so far. I had him change the design a bit to show the balance wheel in action. If people are OK with the whole off the shelf movement thing, then I think Habring, Benzinger, Dornbluth and other small german watchmakers offer a ton of bang for buck. Personally, I don't mind at all as I don't see the point of a unique movement unless it adds a specific function to the piece. The process of designing something with a watchmaker is really fun too, reminds me of working with a luthier for a custom guitar.

Also decided to lean into the over the top skeletonization and engraving thing, and get a cool floral motif on the back. The company I am stuck CEOing for a while is a floral co...so figured it would be appropriate.
IMG_5466.JPG

chocomallo

Reaction score
Basically this. Everyone is crypto rich and youtube rich...

I will take Foo and venessian any day of the week over this sort of tomfoolery. That fella isn't even a good hype man. The SEC is regulating crypto. It ought to consider regulating watches too at this point. Just a few minutes in, that guy is hyping future returns on a Daytona like Goldman (or Jefferies) would on an SPAC.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will take Foo and venessian any day of the week over this sort of tomfoolery. That fella isn't even a good hype man. The SEC is regulating crypto. It ought to consider regulating watches too at this point. Just a few minutes in, that guy is hyping future returns on a Daytona like Goldman (or Jefferies) would on an SPAC.
Youtube algorithm told me I needed that guy in my life. They were horribly wrong.

Drek Galloche

Reaction score
Latest Sotheby's Watch auction shows real weakness in the market?

I think we are seeing the beginning of deflating watch bubble. If Sotheby's could not sell Rolexes and Off Shores than what is next?
I am quite surprised by how weak the bidding was from all deep-pockets customers.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.