• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ebitdaddy

Reaction score
100% the GO. Finishing is generally a step up from IWC and they are available at very attractive prices used. If you go new, push for 25% - 35% off. You can use my super cheap indian dude method too and just blanket email 10 - 20 ADs. Just BCC them all and basically let them bid themselves down. This is how I got my ALS for wayyy below list and then profitably sold it when I got bored.

I'm going back and forth between these two - any thoughts?

Still haven't managed to see the GO in person - apparently neither dealer in Manhattan has one.

Also open to other suggestions along these lines.

View attachment 1623294View attachment 1623295

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what are peoples recommendations for NATO straps? I know Hokindee and The Armoury have them in their shops, but wanted to see if there were any other go-to recommendations out there

don’t be schnookered into spending a lot on a NATO strap. CWC sells the genuine thing for half the price. HODINKEE straps are sewn whereas the genuine NATO straps are heat welded.

George Red

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone that says GO is “a step above “IWC”… really? Come on.

Reactions: RSS

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of those two, I prefer the GO mainly because I think it is beautifully balanced. On the IWC: I do not like gap-toothed dates at 6:00 at all, the highly blued numerals, and the red PR. So in IWC I far prefer the Portugieser (automatic, unless you really want a chronograph).

Dornblüth & Sohn also make many superb iterations of the marine watch, many complication combinations, various case materials, printed applied numerals, etc. All of them are beautiful.

Caliber 99 or Q-2010.2 up & down

Caliber 99.2

Quintus 2010.9

Caliber 99.4

Caliber 99.5
The date on the GO is indeed better.

I prefer the applied and blue indices of the IWC though.

The Dornbluth watches look nice but I'm not particularly interested in a small brand, especially since it would more or less be impossible to see it before owning it.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That IWC is lovely. It's even better in person. If the larger case diameter doesn't bother you, go for it. If you want that but in a smaller, more manageable case diameter, then I recommend the new Portugieser 40 mm,
I looked at the Automatic as well and didn't find it quite as interesting.

I have one watch, a Snowflake, which wears quite small so the idea here is for a bit of contrast - a more substantial, weighty bit of steel.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% the GO. Finishing is generally a step up from IWC and they are available at very attractive prices used. If you go new, push for 25% - 35% off. You can use my super cheap indian dude method too and just blanket email 10 - 20 ADs. Just BCC them all and basically let them bid themselves down. This is how I got my ALS for wayyy below list and then profitably sold it when I got bored.
GO is a step above IWC... and once you go big date you won't go back...
Everyone that says GO is “a step above “IWC”… really? Come on.
In what sense is IWC behind GO (at least as regards the Portugieser and Senator lines)?

Reactions: RSS

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be a longshot here but does anyone have hookups for Rolex AD in the US?

Drek Galloche

Reaction score
We live in a tiny time-bubble where things appear solid and permanent, but then something comes across to remind that it is all fleeting in less than one human life. The double signed factory dials from Caracas 1960s.
Untitled.png

mebiuspower

Reaction score
In what sense is IWC behind GO (at least as regards the Portugieser and Senator lines)?
No swan neck, no 21ct rotor, no big date, no off set weight on balance wheel. GO movement is better finished and is simply more beautiful.

In the end, IWC is mass produced brand with huge annual production numbers like Omegas, versus GO which is haute horology.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.