• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

firenze_rob

Reaction score

So the brother-in-law is looking for a new watch. He likes bigger, louder watches than me so I'm a little out of my element. Went shopping with him today and found some good stuff. He liked this one and I gotta say, not too shabby. Anybody have any experience with this guy or something similar?
You can take a look at breitlingsource.com to find out more about the movement, etc.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was able to try on a 39mm Royal Oak Dual Time today at my local AD. Does anyone know how the Dual Time compares to the 15202 & 15300 size-wize? TIA!
The 39mm RO Dual time feels and fits differently than the 15202. The both the RO dual time's bracelet and case are both significantly thicker than that of a 15202, so it wears and feels different on your wrist. Also depending on when the Dual Time you tried was made the clasp may be different and cause it to fit differently than the 15300 (which also has a bracelet and case that are much thicker than that of the 15202). In addition, some say that the pre-2012 15202s feel differently not just because of their clasp, but because the pre-2012 15202's bracelets are slightly thinner than that of the 2012 and later models (who's thickness create a slightly stiffer bracelet feel). Because of the many variations, you almost have to try on the various models to make sure that a particular vintage and model are the right fit. Good luck on your journey!

OmarDubaibanker

Reaction score

The 39mm RO Dual time feels and fits differently than the 15202.  The both the RO dual time's bracelet and case are both significantly thicker than that of a 15202, so it wears and feels different on your wrist.  Also depending on when the Dual Time you tried was made the clasp may be different and cause it to fit differently than the 15300 (which also has a bracelet and case that are much thicker than that of the 15202).  In addition, some say that the pre-2012 15202s feel differently not just because of their clasp, but because the pre-2012 15202's bracelets are slightly thinner than that of the 2012 and later models (who's thickness create a slightly stiffer bracelet feel).  Because of the many variations, you almost have to try on the various models to make sure that a particular vintage and model are the right fit.  Good luck on your journey!

Or just get the 15400!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've come across him in the past via Instagram. I remember the name. He actually looks to have both of my watches in his collection. I think there's another guy out there who has them both as well.

Adam writes fun stuff like this ("18 Things You Didn't Know About AP's Royal Oaks"):

https://www.thrillist.com/gear/aude...u-didn-t-know-about-audemars-piguet-royal-oak

@no frills you are a monstrous show off. I've missed you.

Is that a 5146p there? Not quite as major as your top shelf items but it's one I really like. I see they're around for about $40k used, which is a lot of dough in anybody's language, but compared to the price of a new Calatrava makes them positively sensible. Definitely on the wish list.

5146 in white gold with an anthracite grey dial. Really nice in the metal.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard that about the contrast markers, but then I tried a couple on in the fall and it's all I can see when I look down. I think it's just a matter of not being able to un-see something that bothers you (obviously just my personal preference); like the winking face in the master geo or maybe that first scratch you get on a lug.

It's funny, but I simply don't see the markers on mine. I have the blue dial, so the contrast markers are bright green. I don't see 'em. I have to look for them. Maybe that's a good thing for me, I don't know.

Off of these boards anything will do just fine in any situation for the most part, but since he's asking here, I figured I should shun the idea of an oyster with a tux as much as possible. Rolex Oysters with a tux don't work. Unless your line of work involves attending black tie events where you may also need to fight an international criminal and/or their henchmen, then you don't need to wear anything from Rolex's Oyster line to a black tie event.

To answer from a real world perspective, almost no one will care if you wear the OP with a tux, and almost no one will care if you wear the IWC with sweats.

I'd wear any Rolex with a tux, although I certainly have much more appropriate watches. But in my line of work...
cool.gif

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hipster-grade Horween CXL strap back on. After spending too much of the winter with my GMTII, I'm re-discovering how much enjoyment I continue to get out the Speedy.

I've found that changing straps is a good way to smack down the desire for new watches that sometimes nags at me.

It looks surprisingly good on that strap
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
@tigerpac: if your brother-in-law likes "big and loud", you could do far worse than a modern piece from Breitling. Maybe at least steer him towards something reasonable and in-house.

The other obvious recommendation would be Panerai.

Good luck with all that...

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
It's funny, but I simply don't see the markers on mine. I have the blue dial, so the contrast markers are bright green. I don't see 'em. I have to look for them. Maybe that's a good thing for me, I don't know.

I'd wear any Rolex with a tux, although I certainly have much more appropriate watches. But in my line of work...
cool.gif

That's actually one of the two I tried on and it just screams Seattle Seahawks at me from my wrist, but it's all really just personal preference. I also tried on the grape and just thought it clashed horribly. Shrug. As long as you like the watch, I'm happy for you. If I ever pick up a GO PML I don't expect Dino to suddenyl find it attractive, but I'm sure he'll be happy for me; same thing here.

And I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who would also wear any Rolex, or worse, with a tux. Whatever floats your boat really. I just always thought the James Bond rationale was silly.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I ever pick up a GO PML I don't expect Dino to suddenyl find it attractive, but I'm sure he'll be happy for me; same thing here.

And I'm sure there are a lot of people out there who would also wear any Rolex, or worse, with a tux. Whatever floats your boat really. I just always thought the James Bond rationale was silly.
Of course I'd be happy for you bro!
cheers.gif
Not every watch on this forum is for me, but if it puts a smile on one of our posters face's then I'm happy for that person.

I'm a huge fan of James Bond and a big fan of Rolex. However, the James Bond rational is completely played out and ridiculous. None of the people quoting the Bond rational lead his lifestyle. If they tried they would probably already have been killed doing a stunt, or have several horrific forms of VD from bedding 3-4 different women a week for the last 50+ years. There are certainly better choices and worse choices for a watch to wear with a tux. If its the best watch a person owns, then IMHO that is a better reason to wear it with a tux than the Bond rational. Cheers!

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of James Bond and a big fan of Rolex. However, the James Bond rational is completely played out and ridiculous. None of the people quoting the Bond rational lead his lifestyle. If they tried they would probably already have been killed doing a stunt, or have several horrific forms of VD from bedding 3-4 different women a week for the last 50+ years.

But what a way to go...

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's actually one of the two I tried on and it just screams Seattle Seahawks at me from my wrist, but it's all really just personal preference. I also tried on the grape and just thought it clashed horribly. Shrug. As long as you like the watch, I'm happy for you. If I ever pick up a GO PML I don't expect Dino to suddenyl find it attractive, but I'm sure he'll be happy for me; same thing here.

Seattle Seahawks? Huh, that never even occurred to me. But you're exactly on point: I like the watch, and have from the first moment I saw it during last year's Baselworld coverage.

I actually prefer to wear either my Nomos Tetra or a pocket watch with a tux. My wife always requests that I wear my Christopher Ward Jumping Hour Mk2, interestingly enough.

James who?

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of James Bond and a big fan of Rolex. However, the James Bond rational is completely played out and ridiculous. None of the people quoting the Bond rational lead his lifestyle. If they tried they would probably already have been killed doing a stunt, or have several horrific forms of VD from bedding 3-4 different women a week for the last 50+ years.

What's your point?
smile.gif

IGotId

Reaction score
The 39mm RO Dual time feels and fits differently than the 15202. The both the RO dual time's bracelet and case are both significantly thicker than that of a 15202, so it wears and feels different on your wrist. Also depending on when the Dual Time you tried was made the clasp may be different and cause it to fit differently than the 15300 (which also has a bracelet and case that are much thicker than that of the 15202). In addition, some say that the pre-2012 15202s feel differently not just because of their clasp, but because the pre-2012 15202's bracelets are slightly thinner than that of the 2012 and later models (who's thickness create a slightly stiffer bracelet feel). Because of the many variations, you almost have to try on the various models to make sure that a particular vintage and model are the right fit. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks so much...

Or just get the 15400!

IIRC, he found the 15400 too large.

Yup, way too big on my wrist!

ellsbebc

Reaction score
My speedy pro needs a service. This is virgin ground for me so seeking advice. The closely Omega AD is 4 hours away so I dropped it off at the local Rolex AD to assess the repairs required and price quote. Given the circumstances, which route would you recommend to pursue? Pricing may come into the equation but I assume they will be about equal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads