The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

Big fan of the 2531.80...this was my SF avatar for a while....

[​IMG]

2. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

^While the Omega makes for a good avatar, I'd still have to vote for Kate.

3. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

Skeleton hands, and the sword hands, of Seamasters of this era were a nice design touch. IMO, the value proposition of owning a modern Omega has significantly dwindled. The retail price of a co-axial Seamaster 300 north of $6k and a official service of a co-axial close to $1k, make it hard to justify.

4. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

5. firenze_rob

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

6. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

That's never good, did they have to replace additional parts or fix a problem?

7. firenze_rob

The hands started to pit. It would have been tolerable for most, but I'm pedantic about things like that.

8. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Totally worth it to feel better about it but sorry to hear the costs ran up so much!

9. firenze_rob

There were some flubs with the service, I won't be using the NJ service center any time soon.

10. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I had my 300M serviced at the Omega boutique here in Houston (they probably sent it out to NJ) and it was in the low $500's, They replaced a few parts, fixed it (watch was running slow of about 6-7 minutes over a month), and repolished it.

11. Keith T

Keith T TWAT Master.

How would you rate the job they did on your servicing, Texasmade? I'd be concerned especially with the polishing, and the bracelet in particular...there's a lot of little shiny bits on there.

Personally, I think I'd only want Omega to do it as well....as per dino's warning about local watchmakers getting over-enthusiastic at times.

Would love to see a pic of your results, and also would be curious if Omega threw in any free promotional swag for you (polishing cloth, or maybe a pouch for instance?) :D

Totally agree on the value proposition ..... and if memory serves, I only paid around $1400 US for this little beauty back in the day.

(It was my first "nice watch", and therefore a permanent keeper).

And while I've always understood that the skeleton hands aren't exactly *practical* for a tool watch, I've mainly used this one as a "desk diver" over the years, and personally find them to be quite attractive. So here's a gratuitous lume shot:

[​IMG]

12. popman1967

popman1967 Active Member

My Daily....sturdy yet smart.
    [​IMG]

13. atia2

atia2 Senior member

Great seventies-esque design: simplicity, modernity, optimism.

14. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

I had a custom strap made for the URWERK 102. I think it came out nicely

[​IMG]

15. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, I've seen many ROs, Nautiluses (Not sure what the plural of Nautilus would be), and vintage Subs, GMTs, and DJ's that were ruined by ham fisted independents who over polished lugs, bezels, etc to the point of distorting the shape/look of the watch. Beyond that, even when using a factory service center, I would not get my watch polished or refinished every time it goes in for a service (particularly if its going to long terms watch or a keeper. Every time a watch gets polished a minute amount of metal is lost (unless its platinum), and although a polishing or 2 won't make much difference to most, for folks who get a watch polished every time it gets serviced eventually, crisp beveled edges on lugs and cases can start to be come softened. Granted, with technology there is laser welding and other stuff folks can do to try to restore over polished pieces, but you really don't want to resort to that. I'd rather live with a few scuff marks than have softened case lugs etc.

Very cool that you have your first good watch! I still wish I had mine, but it got traded a long time ago to lessen the purchase price of another Rolex. Cheers!