• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at one of those.

And much as I like to wind up anti-quartzitic forum autists about their goofy Spring Drive quartz movement, there's no doubt that Seiko makes a quality watch. You have to respect their autonomy, even if some of the designs can be rather derivative. That one is more distinctive, and I like it; one could certainly do a lot worse.

Last edited:

Imyouricecreamman

Reaction score

^
I definitely wouldn't turn my nose up at one of those.

And much as I like to wind up anti-quartzitic forum autists about their goofy Spring Drive quartz movement, there's no doubt that Seiko makes a quality watch. You have to respect their autonomy, even if some of the designs can be rather derivative. That one is more distinctive, and I like it; one could certainly do a lot worse.

The sheer volume of product that Seiko puts out (probably the biggest total collection of all the makers) makes some of their designs derivative by default. But they make some of the most individualistic watches around as well. When the "Tuna" launched back in the late seventies I highly doubt that anybody else would have the imagination to make such a product. ( Yeah, the PloProf existed:) ) In 1975 it was the first divewatch made from titanium as well. The kinetic and Spring Drive hybrids are similar stories with both good and bad, but Seiko is probably the brand that pushes advancement and technology in accessible watches the most. They make the most beautiful and probably some of the ugliest watches around, but they always make me smile.

Last edited:

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@chanoch - GO Senator Sixties is where I'd put my money on. I've had a love affair with the silver/white dial version for a while. Indeed I should've chosen that watch for my wedding watch instead of the JLC MC..

chanoch

Reaction score
@chanoch - GO Senator Sixties is where I'd put my money on. I've had a love affair with the silver/white dial version for a while. Indeed I should've chosen that watch for my wedding watch instead of the JLC MC..

Right ho, rnguy001! But I can't imagine suffering with a JLC for one's wedding ... I'll try on the Glashutte this week and see how it feels.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore one for a year, while its not black like a Submariner or anything, it's definitely not what a lot of people have in mind when they think blue.

Here is an old pic of mine...it often looked just like this:

I see what you mean based on that picture. It just didn't look that dark when I handled one, but lighting can make such a big difference.

I swung by the F.P. Journe Boutique yesterday. I saw the new and old dial versions of the Chronometre Souverain, and the current version of the Resonance. Though I've never seen it in person, I think the older dial is preferable. That and the Octa Reserve de Marche remain my favorite Journe pieces (not my pics):

The Resonance is great from a horological perspective but I think it would be a hassle to set and wind.

For some reason, I think the RDM would be nicer as a manual. And without a date window.

I just can't get into Journes all that much. Totally respect what's inside them and like one or two of them generally, but the hands just kill them for me.
Interesting combo on that GMT. The green really *shouldn't* work, and yet I think somehow it does.

But then when I clicked to enlarge, I notice....is that NATO hardware gold-tone? If so, then -1.

Not only does the green work, the gold-tone even works. Might not be as good as steel-tone, but IMO it works in a vintage sort of way.

Life would be boring if we all had the same opinions.
I've yet to see a bracelet type watch with a NATO strap that wouldn't look better on the bracelet.

Black Bay is an obvious in my opinion. Of course the vintage styling helps with that. Still I think I prefer NATOs actually. Of course a bracelet is always nice as well.

I agree about the brown shell strap on an Orion. I do not even own a black strap as I love the way the brown shell interacts with the dial. Wearing mine today (slightly bigger than 35 mm):

Looks great.

The 38mm looks good with the date, but odd without it.

Not as bad as I thought it would, but prefer the 35mm myself.

Lange Saxonia Thin 37 mm just arrived today in the Miami Lange boutique:

Price is $14,800. I think it's going to sell very well.

Looks great.

chanoch

Reaction score
Quote:mad:BLAUGRANA : Thanks for the write up of the Metro. Nice read.

Thanks, much appreciated. I do love the Metro, even if those wire lugs make changing straps a pain. It's few design flaws are really minor, and it's very comfortable. Glad you liked my write up.

My search for a new watch to replace my father's old Rolex (not interested in another one ...) has widened a bit, thanks to suggestions from many of you and reading some old threads. Shying away a bit from dark dials, except for those where the hands are a bit thicker and clearer than that Portofino, whose hands tapered to a fine point and for me got lost. Am now looking at a varied range of things from Glashutte, JLC, Frederique Constant, and dear old Nomos (for something really different, that my beloved father would have shuddered at but which I love). NB: I like the Orion, but find the 35 a bit small and if I get one I would prefer to wait until the 38s have the newer movement with their in-house escapement, like my Metro.

As always, your thoughts for this relative new-comer would be most appreciated. Besides style, any guidance on the quality of movements would be really helpful. I found that article posted in this discussion by Belligero about the problems with the IWC automatic with the 7-day reserve very interesting.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Out of those listed, I would go with the JLC MUT. Best combination of aesthetic and technical merit IMO.

chanoch

Reaction score
What do folks think about panographs? This Glashutte PanoReserve looks really interesting, but as I've never owned one, I don't know if the novelty of the design wears off after awhile. Anyone out there with experience of the PanoReserve or similar version, your thoughts would be most appreciated. Now that I'm off that Portofino, which also looked interesting, I am looking at a lot of different things. Seems to me that GO gets a lot of watch into a well-sized package at 40mm. And the blue and white hands work well with the combination of a stainless case and white face, I think. But does this pano design hold up over time (sorry for the pun ...)?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Teehee.

Please refer to the FAQ on page one!

Personally I rather like it, especially the grey dial PanoReserve. But only at a big discount.

It will always be seen as a poor man's Lange 1, and to many a straight rip-off, but get the watch you like if the deal is right.

Last edited:

stgrim

Reaction score
Dear All,

I am in the market for a Portuguese Chronograph Automatic White Dial Men's Watch with white face and blue dial.
I would like to buy brand new; is there a retailer you would recommend? I do not mind grey market goods with in-house warranty, such as jomashop.

Thank you.

rnguy001

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love that GO pano in that white/silver color. I thought there was a 42mm version as well but I might be mistaken.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned the GO PanoMaticDate for over a decade. I think the GO Pano series is the best option of all the ones you've posted. If it's still under 40 mm, that is.

chanoch

Reaction score
Teehee.

Please refer to the FAQ on page one!

Personally I rather like it, especially the grey dial PanoReserve. But only at a big discount.

It will always be seen as a poor man's Lange 1, and to many a straight rip-off, but get the watch you like if the deal is right.

I see that I have stepped in it again -- thanks for pointing me to the FAQ. Not the first time and likely won't be the last. Looking at the pics of the Lange and the Pano, they seem different enough to me. I like the GO's implementation of the small seconds hand, but I wish they had bisected the main dial more carefully. As you can see in the picture, the seconds dial intersects between 24-25 and 35-26 -- I would have expected them to set the dial at exactly 25 and 35. But I like the concept. Another small knock; we don't need typeface to tell us what the power reserve is or the date. Seems a bit of eye-poking in an otherwise understated design. But I do like it, at least in pictures, and will see if I can find one to try on this week. I don't mind if folks think I'm just too poor or too dumb to get a Lange ... I like the GO's overall gestalt, and hope if feels as good on my wrist as it looks on my screen. I also appreciate the many positive comments about the movement.

I will also see if I can try out the JLC MUT Moonphase and the Frederique Constant version. The moonphase complication actually interests me a bit, so it's not a bad use of the dial's real estate. I like the power reserve better than the moonphase in the GO, and the manual wind is a big plus to me; but in the JLC and less-pricey FC version, the moonphase is nice. Seems I've come a long way from those oversized Portofino hand-wounds that I was interested in when I began this search for a new watch to remember my Dad. A shame they turned those Portofinos into SUVs.

Many thanks for all your comments and advice, as always.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads