1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

nerd out on watches over donuts and a pastrami sammich???

2. dcg

dcg Senior member

And cheesesteaks. What grease depth is your ROO rated for?

2 people like this.
  3. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Well that's always been my issue with commemorative Speedmasters. A friend of mine had a 25th anniversary Speedy, he traded it for something else. Then several years later he was able to get another anniversary Speedy since they do one every 5 years (and that doesn't include other special editions they produce).

2 people like this.
  4. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

well, last time it was 3 cheesesteaks? LETS GO DEEPER.

5. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Circling back here, but I have to think you're being *just a bit* harsh, ODB.

Yes, most of us know that the Royal Oak came first, and it probably gets more love overall due to its primacy as a Genta design.

But the Nautilus is still a great piece IMHO. The two of them are certainly different enough to not only co-exist, but for each to get its own share of (well-deserved) respect.

Now, if you want to get fired up over an "homage", consider this screen shot that I pulled off my phone yesterday from the Watchville app. (And if you don't have the Watchville app, you should).

[​IMG]

PiageT: come on, you're better than this.

Also: you guys are making me hungry.

6. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG]

I was embarrassed for Piaget when I saw their new sports watch. They have made some very cool ground breaking designs in the past, so for me its sad to see them stoop to making something that is such a blatant knock-off.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

To those who lament about Patek's new designs, I can't help but completely agree. Nothing in their current lineup gets me excited aside from the 5170. That said I would say the same about AP, Omega and RM, who have so shamelessly gone to the well with LE shit that it's hurt the originals badly IMO.

2 people like this.
  8. OmarDubaibanker

OmarDubaibanker Senior member

Who even buys the Limited Edition crap? Who goes to the AD and says yes I will take this crap watch over the original and pay twice as much! Thank you very much and... Oh... Comes in a pretty box! Wow!

1 person likes this.
  9. mimo

mimo Senior member

Ha. I saw that Piaget the other day and named it the "Not-ilus" in my head.

To be fair, they have had a case shape close to that for a long time, but the choice of dial and bracelet make it preposterous.

1 person likes this.
  10. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i know a few guys..... more money than sense. guy i know bought a LE hublot for around 45K. some black with red watch.... the next year, the rep contacts him about the new LE...thats the exact same watch, only red with black. And he ends up dropping another 45K on it. still has them both too.

hell, id be embarrassed buying a plain jane hublot let alone one of those.

11. mimo

mimo Senior member

My local AD is where they come to die. Brazil World Cup Big Bang anyone?!

1 person likes this.
  12. dcg

dcg Senior member

Damn, what I could do with just that original $45k.... :drool:

13. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

[​IMG] Any hints?

15. firenze_rob

firenze_rob Senior member

What else...70s chrono....

16. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Question. Hypothetical scenario. You are cross-shopping a 15300OR and a 26320OR. How do you justify the additional $10k for the chrono? Or does the mere fact that you have to ask that question mean that the chrono isn't the watch for you?

17. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Heuer Autavia?

18. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

I think chronos are the most useless watch complication for the average man(or woman). On the RO in particular, I prefer the clean look of the face on the time-only and time-and-date faces, compared to the multi-textured dial on the chrono. While the chrono doesn't add much thickness to the 26320OR, I also think the thinner dial without the pushers is the "true" royal oak aesthetic. I would go 15300 and never look back.

As for that World Cup Big Bang - sign me up for this beauty:

[​IMG]

SOOO functional for the modern football fan!

1 person likes this.
  19. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Yes, Omega shamelessly releases special editions. It really does denigrate the otherwise sterling reputation of the original Speedy. With that said, there are a few special editions that I find aesthetically pleasing.

In any event, Omega does this marketing tactic with a $4,000 to $6,000 watch (with exceptions). There is something even more perverted when you consider the price of these new nautili.

50 years, and 100 years merit special editions. But gosh, 40 years? Such an arbitrary period of time.

1 person likes this.
  20. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Chronograph movements are one of the most difficult movements to develop, so the cost for them will always be higher than most time only pieces from the same manufacturer (although, the movement in the RO chrono was not developed in house, so its more like whatever it costs them to buy the base movement from F.Piguet). . Most people don't need chronographs...although I'm sure there are several of us who use the chronograph function on our watches for fun or merely to justify having it.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016