1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. no frills

no frills Senior member

I mean, these fools can't even do math. 1976 - 40 = 1936. Not 2016!

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

A watch by Epos recently bought at Bonhams auction for very little, with Unitas 6497 movement nicely finished with Geneva stripes.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. dcg

dcg Senior member

Thank you. As someone who didn't "get" the Rolex hype for many years, I can say that I am now firmly in love. Looking forward to many years with this one.

Truth be told, if they'd slimmed down the lugs on the 114060, I'd probably have one of those on my wrist and an extra couple thousand bucks in my pocket invested in some other watch. A bit counter intuitive that (at least to me) the SD works better on a 6.5" wrist than the sub, but this current version is near perfection. Not going to hold my breath for Rolex to reintroduce lug holes or move that date window a few mm to the right :).

With regard to the Nautilus examples above - are there examples out there of anniversary edition watches that are "better" than the standard model? (honest question) The silver snoopy Speedmaster is one rare special edition that jumps out in my mind as one outlier that I really like. Patek distorting the minute track numbering but not having it align with the ends of the batons just seems sloppy.

4. OmarDubaibanker

OmarDubaibanker Senior member

Nautilus is a crap Royal Oak

1 person likes this.
  5. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I'm in complete agreement. Congrats man!

1 person likes this.
  6. dcg

dcg Senior member

Thanks :slayer: We need to get a Philly watch meetup on the calendar soon....if I could just get @in stitches and @DerekS to finally come visit....

3 people like this.
  7. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I'm in.

8. cchen

cchen Senior member

WTF is PP thinking :crazy:

9. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

It feels like nothing lines up properly between the minute indices, the distorted numbers, and the diamond hour markers. Just absolutely terrible. And don't even get me started on the anniversary dates being right on the watch face. Simply terrible

10. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I have 6.75" wrists and think the 114060 wears terrific. I love the SD, you made a great choice, but on the wrist those thicker lugs- especially after wearing for a few days- go from being a potential ? to blending in very well. Glad you got the one you really wanted.

11. dcg

dcg Senior member

Every 114060 I've seen in the wild has looked great. I suspect that if the SD wasn't available, I'd have purchased the no date sub and been completely satisfied. My Rolex interest started with the GMT IIC, and then shifted to the 114060. But when I went to look at one in person, my first impression was that the dimensions of the case vs. bracelet just looked off to me, and I haven't yet been able to shake that feeling. I expect that the new case design is here to stay, and it'll probably grow on me in time.

I know that many dislike the end links on the 116600, as they're not flush with the lugs. To me, they help the case to blend into the bracelet. Fortunately Rolex gives us both options! (Now if they'd just give us an updated steel Pepsi....).

12. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Took some time, but I've warmed up to the beefy lugs myself. And I'd be proud to own either a modern Sea-Dweller, or the Sub C.

Until then, all I have is this old tyre-kicking wrist shot *sigh*

[​IMG]

(If I were to ever actually pull the trigger, I think I'd go sans date/cyclops, though).

Anyway ..... +1 congratulations, and wear it with pride!

Also agree with the SS Pepsi suggestion ... me, and about a million other guys :happy:

2 people like this.
  13. dcg

dcg Senior member

I still can't decide if I like the bezel better on the sub or the SD...

As for the Pepsi, I suppose I respect Rolex for not screwing over the folks who've bought the white gold version by releasing a stainless version. I just hate their decision to go with white gold to start with.

14. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Good point, although I should probably go vintage anyway, if I were serious about it.

And the guys with the WG version could probably afford a spare, right? Ha ha.

15. PartagasIV

PartagasIV Senior member

A tremendous timepiece! Sad! :rotflmao:

Wow, but seriously...sad.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  16. dcg

dcg Senior member

I like your thinking re: guys with the WG version!

Yes, if the right vintage Pepsi were to come up, that would be hard to resist. I've been close to pulling the trigger once or twice. Issue is - and I may be in the minority here - I really don't care for the faded Pepsi bezels. Love sub/sd bezels faded grey, but don't like a faded Pepsi. That, and the idea of paying the same or more for a good condition, 20 year old watch as I would for a brand new one just isn't something I've ever been able to successfully wrap my head around. A 20 year old watch that's got battle scars from me (or a family member or close friend) wearing it over the years? Sign me up. From a stranger on the internet? May be a beauty, but I think it'd always just be someone else's old watch to me.

17. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Those commemorative nautili are atrocious. What also bothers me... 40 years is not really an anniversary. At least wait until 50 years! Or are we going to have more commemorative nautili at 50 years? Then 60 years? Where do we stop?

I also think, generally speaking, that these iterations are atrocious. The diamond markers, the excessive branding (we need a "40," a "1976," & a "2016"?), etc. Patek has some truly beautiful watches. But eek, these are horrendous. The box is cool, but when the box is the best part, there might be a problem.

1 person likes this.
  18. mimo

mimo Senior member

Especially when the box and complimentary wach cost a hundred grand.

4 people like this.
  19. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

id make that trip.

Im tempted to make the trip this weekend just to see the new watch before you change your mind and return it. ;)

1 person likes this.
  20. dcg

dcg Senior member

Yeah I'm definitely thinking about returning it. You should book ASAP.

1 person likes this.