• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

haTTer

Reaction score
Today California Pam 249

Winot

Reaction score

Such a great looking piece. How old is yours? Pics? 

Got mine in 2012 - think it was a pre-owned but unworn 2011 model (they were only launched in 2010 IIRC). Will do some pics later in week (away right now).

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought the 114060 Sub this weekend. It was between that and the BLNR GMT- I'm 99% sure I'll simply buy both so it was just a matter of which one first... the Sub made sense.

I spent a lot of time with it on my wrist this weekend, stickers still on, to make 100% sure I could get a good, comfortable fit- turned out to be a complete non-event. As someone mentioned a few weeks back, the clasp IS big, you do notice it, but it's not in any way uncomfortable. I also thought the weight would take getting used to, coming from a Datejust, but I feel like the fit is so dialed in I don't notice it after a few mins of wearing.

It's a stunning watch, I absolutely love the dial sans cyclops and how it wears. On the wrist, the fat lugs are noticeable but not egregious, I think it looks worse in pics. Like most all watches, it really does look better in person in natural light settings than in pics/showroom.

I can see this and another watch to alternate with (saving the DJ for long sleeve/dressier occasions) all I would need. I see what all the Sub fuss is about. I will say I've seen many of them in the wild over the years, I have yet to see a ceramic. So, for me and where I live, the fact it's ceramic and no date means I will likely see few others, though it truthfully doesn't matter to me.

My AD also had a black dial ceramic Daytona he let me play around with... it's very nice, the contrast of the dial and hands on the new model does make it more legible. I loved it but it doesn't put a smile on my face like the Sub/BLNR.

Pics to come this week after the plastic is off.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought the 114060 Sub this weekend. It was between that and the BLNR GMT- I'm 99% sure I'll simply buy both so it was just a matter of which one first... the Sub made sense.

I spent a lot of time with it on my wrist this weekend, stickers still on, to make 100% sure I could get a good, comfortable fit- turned out to be a complete non-event. As someone mentioned a few weeks back, the clasp IS big, you do notice it, but it's not in any way uncomfortable. I also thought the weight would take getting used to, coming from a Datejust, but I feel like the fit is so dialed in I don't notice it after a few mins of wearing.

It's a stunning watch, I absolutely love the dial sans cyclops and how it wears. On the wrist, the fat lugs are noticeable but not egregious, I think it looks worse in pics. Like most all watches, it really does look better in person in natural light settings than in pics/showroom.

Pics to come this week after the plastic is off.
Congrats on your new Sub! Looking forward to seeing some pix soon.

As for the thicker lugs, I agree they look worse in photos. As someone who has owned several classic more tapered lug models over the years (such as Subs, GMTs, Explorer 2s), it only took me a few minutes of wearing a BLNR to get used to the lugs. The lugs definitely do not affect how the new models wear, and I can easily switch between an older model and a new thicker lug model without it being an issue or bothering me.

I've enjoyed reading your watch decision process as you considered various options. You made a great choice and I wish you many years of enjoyment with your new Sub!
cheers.gif

Last edited:

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I could use some assistance in identifying a Universal Geneve watch. Serial number is 1359631, which would date the watch to the late 40's I believe. The reference number is 112145, which I think shows it to be 18k gold, time only, but I cant find any other info. I also am finding mostly 5 digit reference numbers, so I am just trying to fill in the gaps. Any thoughts or resources would be appreciated. Thanks!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I could use some assistance in identifying a Universal Geneve watch. Serial number is 1359631, which would date the watch to the late 40's I believe. The reference number is 112145, which I think shows it to be 18k gold, time only, but I cant find any other info. I also am finding mostly 5 digit reference numbers, so I am just trying to fill in the gaps. Any thoughts or resources would be appreciated. Thanks!
Not sure what gaps you are trying to fill in, but your best bet is probably a Universal Geneve forum such as https://omegaforums.net/forums/universal-geneve-forum/

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Congrats, bbb ... definitely post up some pix for us whenever you can :nodding:

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all the recent pickups!

I haven't been completely absent from the watch scene. A few recent pickups on my end:

c3e0bba43662542d9a8d05b08c5d5e70.jpg

The Maurice Lacroix X Red Bar Crew edition Pontos in PVD. Quite like what it represents given my watch crew in NYC, though it's not usually my cup of tea! It's on the large side at 43mm and relatively long lugs, given my 6.25" wrist, but I love wearing this one.

23e1f8fabeea9e33abfc9a86ec4e017a.jpg

Picked up the little one on the right side for my missus (these three are part of her regular rotation). No, that's not a 5711/1A. That's a blue dial white date wheel 3800/1A, beside the AP 15451 and the Aquanaut 5066/1A. Obviously she quite likes Genta designs!

no frills

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ that Maurice lacroix looks great! How do u get my hands one and pricing if available? Thanks.

Thanks! It's the Pontos S diver released a couple of years ago, but our watch group Red Bar Crew collaborated with ML to make ten of these in PVD (design and color choices by good old Adam Craniotes). I believe all ten are spoken for, though. It sold for just under $4k.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads