1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Watch Appreciation Thread - Part two (Rolex, Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, Jaeger LeCoultre,

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mimo, Feb 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Yes, I like the Millenary :hide:

Guilty as charged ... though I would certainly never spend that kind of $$$ on one. That's crazy.

And way to bring the heat, FlashmanH. Welcome.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Not really a Millenary guy. Not sure why, as I tend to like non-round cases. The only Millenary that I really liked was their Star Wheel version. One of my friends, who likes jumping hour style watches, had one and it was a beauty.

Welcome! You definitely have some beautiful watches in your collection, I really like the LF. I love my RO Jumbo, and have said if I had to have just one watch for everything, I think this could be it. Its so versatile that it looks great paired with jeans and a T-shirt or a suit. Its been my daily wearer for nearly 4 years, hogging more wrist time than probably all of my other watches combined.

BTW, mine says hello [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    3 people like this.
  3. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

4. culverwood

culverwood Senior member

As a Garrick owner I appreciate this article, the smaller manufacturers do not have the marketing clout of the big Swiss and luxury brand owned companies. FYI when commissioning my Shaftesbury and since I have had interesting discussions with David Brailsford about its manufacture and design and have in fact changed the crown shape since it was delivered. I am wearing it now and it fills a gap between my "dress" watches and "sports" ones useful for everyday office work.

5. Farhad19620

Thank you for sharing and glad you are enjoying the British craftsmanship.

6. Belligero

Belligero Senior member

Happy Friday, everyone!

And it's a very casual one for me today:

[​IMG]

Although I thought this type of strap looked awful on the 116520 — and still do, for that matter — I don't hate it on the older version for some reason. What do you guys figure?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    5 people like this.
  7. DLJr

DLJr Senior member

I like the kicks, the strap, not so much.

1 person likes this.
  8. Keith T

Keith T Senior member

Eh. I don't know, Belli. Hate's too strong a word, but I'm not really feeling it either :eh:

If you're wanting to switch things up and go leather, maybe try something that's more like a perforated, racing-style look?

Or, in a completely different direction.... I've always kinda liked this combo with the Rubber B (obviously this is a black dial Daytona, and not my pic):

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Thoughts on the Radomir 1940 Oro Rosso?

I've been wanting a timepiece in a precious metal (rose gold because I find yellow gold to be too garish for me), and after trying the Panerai on at the AD, I can't get it off my mind.

[​IMG]

10. atia2

atia2 Senior member

For me, the gold doesn't sit well with the watch's military credentials. As a result, it looks like gratuitous bling.

1 person likes this.
  11. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Me, too. Also, being Panerai, it's almost guaranteed to be hideously expensive for what you get.

12. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

I totally get the military aspect clashing with the precious metal aspect, however in person the watch is about as far from "bling" as a gold watch can be. Regarding price, sticker is pushing $20k but I have a pending deal for $12k.

13. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

^ I wouldn't let the military credentials hold you back. There are plenty of other companies that make robust/tool/dive/ watches who also use precious metals. Indeed most fans of Panerai don't just buy for the military pedigree. And although it is historically very cool, let's be honest -these days Panerai doesn't seem synonymous with any current military outfit unless you're the Expendables.

I'm a big Panerai fan and I think their gold offerings are nice IF that's what you want. But I do completely agree that the price is likely to be bananas..

3 people like this.
  14. Dino944

Dino944 Senior member

Yes, its a military design, but big deal. No one I've seen wearing one has been in the military, and no one I've seen/known has actually used one for diving. I really like how it looks in rose gold. I think its a nice change from all the steel or titanium Panerais out there. Still, even if the MSRP is $20K, I just don't think I could put over $10K into a Panerai. But if you love it then go for it.

1 person likes this.
  15. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

Looks stunning but I have heard a fair amount of chatter about the reliability of Journe watches (and the extremely high service costs...)

1 person likes this.
  16. IGotId

IGotId Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. cchen

cchen Senior member

Finally had my FPJ back on the wrist yesterday

[​IMG]

The the weather turned

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  18. Farhad19620

This watch would be lovely in SS or a black metal! Lovely watch, thanks for sharing.

19. SteveH35

SteveH35 Senior member

I've owned many and never had an issue

20. pmeis

pmeis Senior member

Now for something a bit different..had this on order since April and was supposed to be delivered in May. Was looking forward to it as a summer knockaround watch, but I guess it'll work as a fall watch ;) Not a huge fan of the typography choice and at one point it really bothered me when I first noticed the choice they made, but now I'm over it. Had my eye on one of these for awhile, but it was lower in priority compared to my other three watches. Glad to finally have one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.