• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's an old joke that the ideal size of your watch collection is n + 1 where n = the current size of your collection. Notwithstanding that joke, I feel like I'm reaching the end of the horological road. I have a regular rotation of seven watches plus three I wear sparingly or not at all. I think I want to add one more--right now it's the new Vacheron Overseas three-hander that will give me a haute horology member of the holy trinity that my collection is currently lacking--and then I will be done. I might want to add a dedicated dress watch (like a WG Lange Saxonia Thin) to wear with a tuxedo or formal suit, but I dress up so infrequently that it probably won't be worth it.

Anybody else feel the same?

FibroblastsMakeLeather

Reaction score
There's an old joke that the ideal size of your watch collection is n + 1 where n = the current size of your collection. Notwithstanding that joke, I feel like I'm reaching the end of the horological road. I have a regular rotation of seven watches plus three I wear sparingly or not at all. I think I want to add one more--right now it's the new Vacheron Overseas three-hander that will give me a haute horology member of the holy trinity that my collection is currently lacking--and then I will be done. I might want to add a dedicated dress watch (like a WG Lange Saxonia Thin) to wear with a tuxedo or formal suit, but I dress up so infrequently that it probably won't be worth it.

I like the Overseas, especially with blue dial.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I often think of reducing my collection to around 5 or 6 pieces, yet spend 90% of the day-dreaming what my next purchase will be... If i had any discipline i would only own 3 watches: Daily dress watch; opposing colour metal to daily dress watch, for same purpose; & a bruiser utility watch.

I‘m not disciplined.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I doubt it. No company can please everyone. Some people like the vintage pieces, some people like the new pieces and welcomed the beefier case, some people like both, and some people don't like anything from Rolex. It took me a while to get used to the newer lugs, but once you wear a watch that has the newer lugs, you forget about it after a while.

Not to mention, if all of the sudden, Rolex went back to the old style of lugs, all of the sudden we would see people speculating and trying to buy as many of the super lug cased watches as possible. We would probably see prices go up because it would just be a roughly 13 year chapter in Rolex history (quite short in Rolex's life space) where watches had these lugs.

In the end anything is possible. You bought a modern Sub, enjoy it! It's a great watch!

Well it’s not across the board but the GMTs with jubilees have smaller lugs. I happen to think the supersized cases with the chunky lugs look out of balance to me so I welcome any trend towards a slightly more svelte design. Time will tell if the trend continues or just stays with the GMTs.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes - what keeps me from falling down the rabbit hole further is the fact that the more watches you own the more watches you have sitting in a drawer gathering dust. You can only wear one of ‘em at a time. You build up an extensive collection of expensive watches, that’s a **** load of dough just sitting there.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So blue.

Attachments

• J L.jpg
    J L.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 62

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often think of reducing my collection to around 5 or 6 pieces, yet spend 90% of the day-dreaming what my next purchase will be... If i had any discipline i would only own 3 watches: Daily dress watch; opposing colour metal to daily dress watch, for same purpose; & a bruiser utility watch.

I‘m not disciplined.
+1
At various points I've contemplated what I would keep, and how my watches would get more wear if a pared down my collection. But having obsessed about watches since I was a teenager, its basically an addiction I can't give up.

Well it’s not across the board but the GMTs with jubilees have smaller lugs. I happen to think the supersized cases with the chunky lugs look out of balance to me so I welcome any trend towards a slightly more svelte design. Time will tell if the trend continues or just stays with the GMTs.

Yes, they are smaller than those of the black bezel ceramic GMT or the Batman GMT on an Oyster, but the lugs of the new GMT jubilee models still appear to be chunkier than those of the 5 digit GMTs. When I wear a 5 digit Rolex the lugs of my Batman seem a bit chunky, but I quickly adjust to it. In addition, although the new jubilee is better engineered than the old ones, I still prefer an oyster bracelet.

Thoughts on the “Alpine Eagle”?...

I really like the bracelet and the swirling dial color/treatment. They also make quality movements. However, for me the rest of it just feels like an entry in the "Also ran" category. I don't like the hour markers or hands, the Nautilus style ears the case has developed or the bezel. Much like Piaget's current Polo it feels like it is trying to be something else.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1
At various points I've contemplated what I would keep, and how my watches would get more wear if a pared down my collection. But having obsessed about watches since I was a teenager, its basically an addiction I can't give up.

Yes, they are smaller than those of the black bezel ceramic GMT or the Batman GMT on an Oyster, but the lugs of the new GMT jubilee models still appear to be chunkier than those of the 5 digit GMTs. When I wear a 5 digit Rolex the lugs of my Batman seem a bit chunky, but I quickly adjust to it. In addition, although the new jubilee is better engineered than the old ones, I still prefer an oyster bracelet.

I really like the bracelet and the swirling dial color/treatment. They also make quality movements. However, for me the rest of it just feels like an entry in the "Also ran" category. I don't like the hour markers or hands, the Nautilus style ears the case has developed or the bezel. Much like Piaget's current Polo it feels like it is trying to be something else.
Agreed the hour markers are a real "put off"...

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I feel this. In fact, I actually reduced my collection. Sold my APRO, my Zenith Daytona, my SD4k, and am now at four watches on a four-watch winder that I purchased specifically for this reduction. I now only own:

1) JLC Reverso Tribute Moon (needed a dress watch on a black leather strap);
2) Patek 5396R (needed a Patek and a watch on a brown strap that I can dress up or down);
3) Rolex Pepsi (self-explanatory);
4) Rolex DSSD (weekend/beater/pool watch. Besides, I've always believed in having at least one "fun" watch. This is it).

I like where I'm sitting and don't anticipate moving on anything else anytime soon.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel this. In fact, I actually reduced my collection. Sold my APRO, my Zenith Daytona, my SD4k, and am now at four watches on a four-watch winder that I purchased specifically for this reduction. I now only own:

1) JLC Reverso Tribute Moon (needed a dress watch on a black leather strap);
2) Patek 5396R (needed a Patek and a watch on a brown strap that I can dress up or down);
3) Rolex Pepsi (self-explanatory);
4) Rolex DSSD (weekend/beater/pool watch. Besides, I've always believed in having at least one "fun" watch. This is it).

I like where I'm sitting and don't anticipate moving on anything else anytime soon.

Sounds like you've got all the basics covered. Watches are too pricey compared to shoes.

I have the following:
1) Omega Speedy Moon Watch (sapphire)
2) Rolex Daytona SS/white dial
3) Cartier Drive SS
4) Rolex MilSub on gray nato strap

I might pick something up for a more dressy option, but I'm still looking.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78