• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (Un)Official Thrift Buy /Sell / Trade / Want Thread

Putonghua73

Reaction score
Still on the hunt for a navy sports coat: 40R, Chest: 20", BOC: 30", Shoulders: 18" and Sleeves: 25".

Must have:
  • notch lapels
  • 2 buttons
  • traditional button stance and gorge
  • patch pockets
  • horn or MOP buttons (no metallic ones)
  • fabric not linen or polyester

The nearest I found was Ermenegildo Zegna, full-canvas for almost $600 on eBay. Lovely jacket but I don't require full-canvass, and girlfriend thought a little too formal /sigh.

Retail in London has been a complete bust. Online not much better - save for Malford of London. Alas, sizing on 40R has stopped me pulling the trigger several times.

If I could compromise on patch pockets, I'd have a ton of options. As it is, pockets must be patch.

The search continues ...

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still on the hunt for a navy sports coat: 40R, BOC: 30, Shoulders: 18 and Sleeves: 25.

Must have: notch lapels, 2 buttons, low button stance, low gorge, patch pockets, horn or MOP buttons (no metallic ones). Not linen.

Really?
uhoh.gif

Are you extremely tall?

Putonghua73

Reaction score

Really? :uhoh:

Are you extremely tall?

No, 6 ft. However, not keen on relatively high button position on a lot of suits / sports coats. So, traditional button position and gorge, as opposed to what appears to be in vogue.

Now I've switched to my Macbook, I can embed images to demonstrate what I am looking for:
Gieves & Hawkes - Malford of London - with patch pockets as opposed to flap.

Last edited:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, 6 ft. However, not keen on relatively high button position on a lot of suits / sports coats. So, traditional button position and gorge, as opposed to what appears to be in vogue.

Now I've switched to my Macbook, I can embed images to demonstrate what I am looking for:

This is a classic example of remember your audience. When you talk to this crowd, who sift through stuff older than we are on a daily basis, "low gorge" means this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOVELY-vint...SA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item4ac1559fb1

The gorge here points to the armpit, not the shoulder. You want it pointing to the shoulder. And you want the gorge position at the clavicle, not above it, as in some Attolini and other more continental pieces, nor below it as in this Oxxford piece. I'd call what you want "classic", not low..

Your criteria are quite specific, which is good in the sense we'll know what you want when we find it. But bad in the sense that it's fairly unlikely any of us will find all elements on the checklist in one single item (since we're buying secondhand, and not at stores that stock multiple variants of similar items). I, for one, will look, as I'm sure we all will. But in the interim, I would recommend continuing with your ebay searches. You can save searches once you design them. I'd do search "blazer patch (horn or mop) 40" in men's clothing. If the parenthetical doesn't register in Ebay's crappy search function, then break it into two searches, save both and have them emailed to you daily. I'd also recommend adding searches for "oxxford blazer" and " J Press blazer", each in men's clothing, blazers and sport coats. Each makes excellent clothes (though Oxxford is generally more handmade, and therefore technically better quality) and are trad enough that you might begin to hit your wish list. J Press commands some ebay value, while Oxxford are significantly undervalued on Ebay. Then be prepared to pay when your item comes up, because it will be months if not years before you see it again.

You should also try AskAndy's trad forum. Don't recall the link, but there is a similar thread to this one over there. And several others at other websites.

Be sure to update us if you find something, because I don't want to find that one perfect item only to have you say "thanks, but I'm all set" and I'm stuck holding something I can't use, trade or sell.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So...something like this? except without the flaps?

VTG Brooks Brothers Yacht Club Blazer Sport Coat 46L Classic Blue Brass 3 Roll 2

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Putonghua73

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, particularly GMMcL. When I initially begun my search (prompted by Manton's "You are not well dressed if .." thread), I naively thought 40R navy sports coat should be a doddle to find
rolleyes.gif

Malford has lovely sports coats for sale, and I've nearly been so very close to purchasing, but it has either been flap pockets or sizing that has prevented me (I can live with a jacket a little too long e.g. 1/2 inch, but not short).

I have an eBay search set-up, although I need to amend to include J Press. I will of course, update this thread if I find what I require on eBay or if I find the elusive jacket on Malford's site.

Cheers!

jrobertson427

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a nice tuxedo: 40/41R, shoulders 18.5", chest 21", sleeves 25" It must have a peak or shawl lapel Waist is 32", inseam 32" If anyone has anything, let me know...

Last edited:

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few random things

1) Hawes and Curtis 15 - 35, slightly older but great condition $12 shipped (not going international)

J.Crew Lambswool 1/4 Zip Neck Sweater - Large - Great condition, purchased at retail a few years back, but doesn't fit me $13 shipped

TM Lewin - pink poplin dress shirt, FCs, mint $12 shipped

Ben Silver - Aqua Solid Tie, good shape, except it is starting to come apart on the back near the keeper, not a problem when worn. could probably be fixed easily $14 shipped

Facconable by Breuer Brown Striped Tie, very thick and surprisingly nice, just have no need for it $11 shipped

Polo regent, cool purple and blue stripes, 16 x 34/35 - mint condition $12 shipped

Staple Charles Tyrwhitt Blue poplin 16 x 34, FCs, a little fraying on cuffs $10 shipped

Cedar shoe trees - Large - $15 shipped

give me a shout if you are interested in any of this stuff

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my Connecticut Brethren:

I picked up a pair of reverse orphans at our most infamous locale. Zegna, recent waistband, light gray glenplaid with light blue overcheck. Tagged 52L EU, so presumably their other half will be similarly tagged.

Be advised that the suspect is believed to be armed (get it?) and dangerously awesome.

Hoping you can help me reunite a family.

That is all.

jguyette

Reaction score
I've got to go to the post office to send some stuff tomorrow. Anybody interested in a trade for this one? If not, how about $13, shipped.

I've got a Pendleton wool shirt/jacket/board shirt that is too small for me. It is tagged a medium, and fits pretty slim.
When buttoned, pit to pit is 21".
Two pockets on the front.
It is in great condition, except for a small cut on the back. It could easily be fixed with a few stitches, or leave it alone and call it character.
Pictures were taken with flash, but the pattern is much more subdued in real light. It is a really, really cool pattern.
Shoot me a trade offer. Just looking for something that fits...

I've also got a Colombo cashmere/silk sweater in size 38/48. New with tags! Huge MOP buttons. Retail was north of $400. Send me a message if you are interested. Make me an offer. I promise I won't get offended.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads