• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks A Million Bro.

Your opinion holds a lot of weight to me, just cuz I know your experience with Vass spans over a few years and quite a few makeups.

This is what I am considering:

LL

In Antique Cognac Cordovan.

My Homeboy @Notch is trying to make it happen.

There was a time when I was really craving a similar boot in navy. But now I find I've gone off this "tweener" size - taller than a chukka, shorter than tall boot. I think I just prefer the aesthetics of a tall boot versus this medium-ish height offering, particularly in an oxford. As a more casual derby I'd probably like it better. Anyway, what I like need not have anything to do with what you like.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am about to take the plunge and order my first pair of Vass, but I thought I would consult the experts here to get a better idea of sizing. I realize it is taking a chance and that there is no substitute for trying things on, but I'm willing to take a chance on a pair as a trial.

Anyway, I wear 10.5 D in Allen Edmonds 65 last (Strand, etc) if its the Independence collection, or I can do 10.5 C/D if its the regular collection footbed. I wear 9UK in Carmina Rain, and I could go no bigger and no smaller. Bigger would be too big in the instep and smaller would be too short.

So, I am leaning towards the F or U last, but am wondering whether I would be a 43 or 43.5 in Vass. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am about to take the plunge and order my first pair of Vass, but I thought I would consult the experts here to get a better idea of sizing. I realize it is taking a chance and that there is no substitute for trying things on, but I'm willing to take a chance on a pair as a trial.

Anyway, I wear 10.5 D in Allen Edmonds 65 last (Strand, etc) if its the Independence collection, or I can do 10.5 C/D if its the regular collection footbed. I wear 9UK in Carmina Rain, and I could go no bigger and no smaller. Bigger would be too big in the instep and smaller would be too short.

So, I am leaning towards the F or U last, but am wondering whether I would be a 43 or 43.5 in Vass. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone!

You will take 43 on F last K last you will take 43.5 and U last is little iffy meaning some ppl take same or go up by half so that would be 43 or 43.5 these are just my input from my experience I am one size smaller than you and have regular width. Hope it helps bud.

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
Anyway, I wear 10.5 D in Allen Edmonds 65 last

I wear 10.5 E in AE Kenilworth Derby (I don't know which last but it seems like a shoe that'd be on the narrow side as AE go). In Vass I'm a 43.5 in the F and a 43.5 U last was definitely to tight in the toe box.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks everyone!

With your slightly narrow sizes on some of the AE, a 43.5 standard width U might be perfect. 10.5 would usually be 44 U. I'm a 10D on AE 65 and 9 UK Rain. 43 on F can be a little snug some times. Like Bill, you could be one of those that takes the same 43.5 for F and U.

Last edited:

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
****, sorry, I mistyped my last post. I'm a 10.5E in AE's, 43.5 F and a 44U. I'd edit my last post right now if I weren't on my phone.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With your slightly narrow sizes on some of the AE, a 43.5 standard width U might be perfect. 10.5 would usually be 44 U. I'm a 10D on AE 65 and 9 UK Rain. 43 on F can be a little snug some times. Like Bill, you could be one of those that takes the same 43.5 for F and U.
Thank you for this feedback. What size do you take in each? Thanks!

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this feedback. What size do you take in each? Thanks!

43 F and 43.5 U is best for me as a 10D. Even though we are both 9 UK Rain, your foot sounds longer and narrower with a lower instep. 43.5 F is probably a safer starting point than trying U initially.

ohshoet

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
First time I see Vass using that part of poor leather.
facepalm.gif

Just a quick update for everyone. I contacted Vass and they informed me that they do not use side or belly leather on their shoes.

Do you gentlemen think it's an oversight from the Ilcea, that they provided bad a quality batch of calf skin and Vass failed to catch it in their quality control? The leather is really soft on that area and looks like it'll get more wrinkly when worn. I have never seen this on any other Vass shoes (new or used).

Here's some more photos:
Outer:

Top:

Inner:

Last edited:

striker

Reaction score
The same "issue" happens to Bonafe, EG, and G&G. And have seen it with StC too. That is no big deal TBH.

Museum calf is also more prone to this than french box calf. I don't believe it is batch or quality problem.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads