• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
Honestly, just simple aesthetics. I purchased 3 Meccariello shoes from Yeossal. I could not bring myself to wear them even with a suit. They just strike me as affectations. Their tiny wastes and beveled heels clash with everything. May be in size 42+ they would look more pleasing to the eye in size 40.5 they look ridiculous. Lovely to look at on the shelf but impossible to wear with most casual attire. Santoni Bontoni or Vass are my go to shoes, they could be worn with everything, except shorts.
There are more shoemakers that fall in this catogory such as C&J & Bonafe.
I don't like C&J lasts they are too boring and most of them look a bit off to my eye , except country shoes (like Marlow). Bonafe has a few nice lasts and others that look like orthopedic shoes for people with deformed feet. Just to my eyes, to others they might look just fine.
P.S. I feel pretty much the same about Sutor. Great shoe maker but 80% fugly lasts.

LThomsen

Reaction score
Honestly, just simple aesthetics. I purchased 3 Meccariello shoes from Yeossal. I could not bring myself to wear them even with a suit. They just strike me as affectations. Their tiny wastes and beveled heels clash with everything. May be in size 42+ they would look more pleasing to the eye in size 40.5 they look ridiculous. Lovely to look at on the shelf but impossible to wear with most casual attire. Santoni Bontoni or Vass are my go to shoes, they could be worn with everything, except shorts.
I have been wearing my size 11 E
AM shoes while working from home as well☺

I don't like C&J lasts they are too boring and most of them look a bit off to my eye , except country shoes (like Marlow). Bonafe has a few nice lasts and others that look like orthopedic shoes for people with deformed feet. Just to my eyes, to others they might look just fine.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment that Vass shoes look smart but not dandyish.

However, I don't think a pair of shoes exists that looks good with both a suit and jeans; jeans with oxfords makes me retch.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asia, the Americas, Europe..?
Hmm, I would guess that in America, it would occur less as a choice then due to the tendency for some men to default to jeans unless someone makes them wear something else. I can't speak to the rest of the world.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else see the irony of besmirching a certain style as too dandyish, and then complaining about wearing jeans with a certain shoe...:crackup:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7A01E0C2-7D22-42F8-9E5F-3243796B0BD5.gif

jayteee

Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment that Vass shoes look smart but not dandyish.

However, I don't think a pair of shoes exists that looks good with both a suit and jeans; jeans with oxfords makes me retch.
Jeans and oxfords are not just incompatible, squandering a $450 shoe on a $55 pair of pants is ludicrous. I know people consider jeans "fashion" but they're they are the definition of casual. The celebrities who pair oxfords and jeans always look like they're trying too hard.

LThomsen

Reaction score
Tell that to my neighbor who wears G&G oxfords with $300 jeans and a well worn /seen better days Thomas mason cotton dress shirt. When I spoke with him about nice shoes with jeans, he simply said, "style is subjective, I wear what I feel comfortable wearing."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics