• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wristandfeet

Reaction score
Haven't been wearing these due to them being half a size larger than what I should've ordered. But every once in a while, I take them out and try on some combinations of insoles and padding to make them work. I ultimately always just put these back on the shelf. But every time, I am just stunned by how drop dead gorgeous these are....

Whiskey Shell on FLast VCap Seamless Heel Old English. Paired casually with Pure Blue Japan raw denim.

IMG_20200408_120057.jpg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Is it just me or have I not seen a lot of discussion on the Budapest last on this thread? Was searching through to see what people say about sizing and maybe not a lot of people have tried it. I find the unique shape really interesting.

I rolled the dice and ordered a pair of Budapesters. I’ve got a pair of Norwegers on the P2 and they’re a little too tight in the forefoot, so I ordered the same size in the Budapester in the hope the roomier toe box works for me. I wear US 10, usually, and ordered them in 43.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rolled the dice and ordered a pair of Budapesters. I’ve got a pair of Norwegers on the P2 and they’re a little too tight in the forefoot, so I ordered the same size in the Budapester in the hope the roomier toe box works for me. I wear US 10, usually, and ordered them in 43.

I'm a little confused on sizing because research seems to show that a) Vass may not use the whole "one euro size = one us size" thing that a lot of companies use, and that might make things skew a bit more as you get to my size range (e.g. Margiela says a 14 is a 47, Adidas says a 14 is 49.5) and b) I saw a suggestion that a Goyser welt changes the fit? I'm a pretty solid 12.5 UK in Carmina Forest, thinking of rolling the dice on a 46.5 or 47. I'm assuming a return would be at my expense.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused on sizing because research seems to show that a) Vass may not use the whole "one euro size = one us size" thing that a lot of companies use, and that might make things skew a bit more as you get to my size range (e.g. Margiela says a 14 is a 47, Adidas says a 14 is 49.5) and b) I saw a suggestion that a Goyser welt changes the fit? I'm a pretty solid 12.5 UK in Carmina Forest, thinking of rolling the dice on a 46.5 or 47. I'm assuming a return would be at my expense.

Both Ascot and Vass say that 11.5 US = 44.5, so while Vass' book suggests they don't use "one euro size = one us size", their actual sizing advice does.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both Ascot and Vass say that 11.5 US = 44.5, so while Vass' book suggests they don't use "one euro size = one us size", their actual sizing advice does.

Oh, is the Ascot sizing chart official?

Looking at this model. Always wanted a casual wingtip Budapester. It's such a distinctive style.

988-1.jpg

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing these two from the sale but honestly, don't know what size to wear.

F Last
682-2.jpg

U Last
1583-1.jpg
I wear F Last Size 43 really well (NMWA Vass Scotchgrain Split Toe Derby). I wear size 10 or 43 for Meermins, Allen Edmonds and Armoury Shoes.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I've found the F Last to be one of the best fitting last for my foot, although visually, i've found the U last to be much prettier (personal preference ofc). I have 43 in both last. But if i could do it again, i'd probbaly either size up in width for U last, or maybe try a 43.5. It's just ever so slightly narrower in the toes for me.

For reference, i wear a 8.5UK in Carmina rain last (although now, i'd probably go up a width or even try a 9UK), 9UK in Inca last. 9Uk in new rey Meermin. 9UK in EB 363 MOD, 946 and 74945 last (have tried 8.5 which also works)

I've been eyeing these two from the sale but honestly, don't know what size to wear.

F Last
682-2.jpg

U Last
1583-1.jpg

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d acknowledge what others have said, the per-pair variation even in the same last and size is not to be ignored.

And then to make things further complicated, in my experience the sizing varies a fair bit by last.

I’m a reliable 10.5 UK in all Lobb lasts I’ve owned, 11 UK in Edward Green, usually a 10.5 UK in C&J.

I find a 46 to be the best fit in the U last, although some are spot on and others need a thin insole. I tried the F last in the Budapest shop and couldn’t get a good fit - 45.5 if I had to, but the roomier toebox gives slippage elsewhere. And then the P2 in the 45.5 I had were too large for me.

I’m currently waiting on some P last shoes from the sale where I rolled the dice on a 45.

Oh, and I have a pair of Vass in a Budapester style I picked up in Vienna in a size 46 which fit perfectly, but I have no idea what last they’re on...

sforum1

Reaction score

Can you elaborate more on the "one euro size = one us size" not being the case with Vass, if you happen to know? Would a whole size up in Vass translate to less or more than 1 full US size differential? And would that be true across the entire size spectrum, as in going from 40 to 41 and from 45 to 46 be the same difference in US sizing?

I think, if you ignore the inconsistency between different pairs on the same last for a second (if it can be ignored), this may be the answer but in trying to keep things simple, they don't tell us what we really need to know that would help us tremendously in picking sizes. Also I remember in the past when I asked for sizing by email, the answer was different from the charts they have on their website. I find that their charts are wrong, if you go by the charts you will end up getting a shoe that is too small. That might also depend on the last, which of course their charts does not consider. For example, is there really anyone here who wears a John Lobb 10UK say 7000 last who can fit in a 44 Vass U last?

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Oh, is the Ascot sizing chart official?

Looking at this model. Always wanted a casual wingtip Budapester. It's such a distinctive style.

View attachment 1368005

That’s the style that I went for. I’m retiring a bunch of Alden long wings and these seem like a great alternative.

ajd578

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate more on the "one euro size = one us size" not being the case with Vass, if you happen to know? Would a whole size up in Vass translate to less or more than 1 full US size differential? And would that be true across the entire size spectrum, as in going from 40 to 41 and from 45 to 46 be the same difference in US sizing?

I think, if you ignore the inconsistency between different pairs on the same last for a second (if it can be ignored), this may be the answer but in trying to keep things simple, they don't tell us what we really need to know that would help us tremendously in picking sizes. Also I remember in the past when I asked for sizing by email, the answer was different from the charts they have on their website. I find that their charts are wrong, if you go by the charts you will end up getting a shoe that is too small. That might also depend on the last, which of course their charts does not consider. For example, is there really anyone here who wears a John Lobb 10UK say 7000 last who can fit in a 44 Vass U last?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads