• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It could be...Im trying to return them and go for the same size F and normal width. I love them!!

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on the sizing issue with OEII. I got a pair before Christmas and they're about half a size bigger than my other U last shoes.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brand-new shell-- give it a little time to stretch and shrink before declaring defeat.

Point is it will in all probability not, and even if it does it will be minuscule, certainly not even close to filling that gap. But some people like it that way for shoes I know not sure about boots hence my question.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The issue is the old english ii

Note the picture below - they're all in U last and in the same size

Old english II (shell) & Austerity (calf)

Austerity (calf) & wingtip adelaide (shell)

From my experience I don't feel any size difference between calf & shell.

At one point I had ordered 2 old english ii at the same time (one you see above and the other one in museum calf) and both felt bigger vs the other styles (calf or shell) around the instep area - not really sure why. But I gave up on the Old English II
Sorry for misunderstand you @agedashidofu. In my case, the F last Shell Wingtip Budapester is the big guy and the F last OEII the baby (supossedly both in narrow widht). I have taken some time to do your exercise but it came out with not much results

As stated above, hand welted shoes bought via email...hummmm. Notwithstanding, I believe that shells streches quite good, more than calf. The wingtip has been streched by myself for 12 hours and it worked fine. I wear it for a couple of hours and back to the streching room. Cheers.

agedashidofu

Reaction score

Sorry for misunderstand you @agedashidofu. In my case, the F last Shell Wingtip Budapester is the big guy and the F last OEII the baby (supossedly both in narrow widht). I have taken some time to do your exercise but it came out with not much results As stated above, hand welted shoes bought via email...hummmm. Notwithstanding, I believe that shells streches quite good, more than calf. The wingtip has been streched by myself for 12 hours and it worked fine. I wear it for a couple of hours and back to the streching room. Cheers.
The randomness is pretty mindboggling... I ended up giving my OE II to my brother...luckily everything else seemed to have been quite consistent for me (within margin) Oh well...still the best fitting and best value for me thus far...

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Kuty was very gentile. He is going to replace me the shoes with normal F widht size. Great service and great shoes (my first hand welted). I really appreciate the construction and craftmantship and of course I love them!!

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the ball of your foot was straight across. Is it just the distance between the leftmost and rightmost edges of your foot?

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the ball of your foot was straight across. Is it just the distance between the leftmost and rightmost edges of your foot?
"The Ball of the foot is found at the center of the heavy pad running under the foot at a rough 15 degree angle. This is the line where the base of all the toe joints are located –where the foot flexes. Measure for comfort here... But not loose."

From DWF II. Bootmaker and SF fellow.

PD,.Check his fantastic web site to see the rest of basic foot mesurements.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burg Alt Weins today:

Starting to feel the need for another Vass purchase ...

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Fred G. Unn what are you considering?

Nice altwiens by the way... the burgundy cousins to mine...

Love yours! I already have some dark brown pebble grain AS boots though. I'm sort of thinking something like the cognac scotch grain split toe that NMWA offers, although they have been out of my size for a long time now: http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/cognac-scotch-grain-norweger-3795.html

Or maybe in a boot. I guess it only takes 5 for a Vass MTO to happen ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads