• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

konda

Reaction score
Need to get educated in Vass lasts... recommendations on lasts and sizes appreciated. Wearing:

AE-5 last (and basically all AE lasts) US 14 B
Meermin New Rey UK 13.5
Meernin Olfe UK 13
Alfred Sargent last 48, size UK 12.5 D

Low instep foot.

Recommendations?

Torsion

Reaction score

Isn't there going to be some heel slip just because the shoes aren't broken in?

Because I have two new vass shoes, both closed laces (but I like my shoes snug, so I don't know if it's because of that, one is a derby, one is an oxford).

Otherwise I'll have to join the above poster and sell my shoes.

venividivicibj - I had opinions from a few different members who all own Vass and I made the decision to sell mine and try half a size down

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

venividivicibj - I had opinions from a few different members who all own Vass and I made the decision to sell mine and try half a size down

Yeah... I'm concerned. Because I'm a true ten and got a 43 so it's weird.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Being a size US 14.5 your journey into Vass shoes will be fascinating. GOOD LUCK.

I know there's a surcharge on anything over size 47.

Your starting point probably a 48

Need to get educated in Vass lasts... recommendations on lasts and sizes appreciated. Wearing:

AE-5 last (and basically all AE lasts) US 14 B
Meermin New Rey UK 13.5
Meernin Olfe UK 13
Alfred Sargent last 48, size UK 12.5 D

Low instep foot.

Recommendations?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Slight heel slip, but I think it might be just from the shoes not being broken in (and one is a double leather sole). It's the closed laces that concern me most.

I'll try them on again tonight and let you know. Or I'll post them in B&S tonight. We'll see.

Either way, the quality is amazing, and they're beautiful.

Last edited:

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
€500 for semi bespoke using the same material that John Lobbs sources is a win win if you're a betting man.

I have to admit I'm one of them.  Most of my shoes fit reasonably well, of course, but I know quite a few are pretty sloppy or just not quite the right last.  Living in a country where quality shoes are mail order or nothing, the temptation to just make do with "OK" is often there, rather than sending pair after pair back and forth with couriers.

One day, rather than buying ten more pairs of reasonably prices shoes just because they're in sales or I like the colour, I'll get organised and go to Budapest for (semi)bespoke...

Few are those who can appreciate the quality and craftsmanship of a well made pair of shoes. Fewer still are those who know what a properly fitting shoe feels like.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

€500 for semi bespoke using the same material that John Lobbs sources is a win win if you're a betting man.

Semi bespoke as in last adjustments? Can you do it over email or only in person

Bonggoy

Reaction score

Nope. Standard last. You get to design your own shoes with what available leathers they have.

Edit: It's been a while but I read somewhere VASS offers a semi bespoke process where existing last are adjusted like you mentioned.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not really semi bespoke then? Just mto in a sense

They have semi bespoke, but you have to go in person to the store. They tweak an existing last of your choice to your feet. And then they keep it for future reference.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score

Only in person.

Nope. Standard last. You get to design your own shoes.

As I understand it, if you visit you can get "bespoke", and it's on the price list. But they don't actually make a last, just add to and/or trim a standard one. Hence "semi-bespoke" by most definitions. Using your own design on one of their standard lasts, is their definition of MTO: they don't charge extra if you just want to swap colours and lasts within existing designs.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only in person.

As I understand it, if you visit you can get "bespoke", and it's on the price list. But they don't actually make a last, just add to and/or trim a standard one. Hence "semi-bespoke" by most definitions. Using your own design on one of their standard lasts, is their definition of MTO: they don't charge extra if you just want to swap colours and lasts within existing designs.

This has changed, nowadays the only shoes that goes as RTW-price (420 euro incl. VAT) is the exact models and make-ups shown on their site. As soon as you change something, eg. double to single sole, or another last or different leather, it's MTO and the price is 520 euro. Still a really good price though. Semi-bespoke is 620 euro, but as mentioned above you have to visit the shop for that.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads