1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Distinguished Member

Yes, it's Tannery Haas in Strasbourg. It was mentioned above in this thread, that John Lobb switched from Ilcea to another supplier for their museum calf about a year ago, and I think that since then they buy it from Haas. Also Zonta in Italy makes a museum calf-like leather, and know Rezso has contacted them as well as a back up for Haas. Hopefully Vass will be able to get some badges already early fall, and everything will be great again.

2. stmaier

stmaier Senior Member

Rezsö seems confident that the deliveries will occur around September/October as he did not seem too worried that my delivery dates for 3 museum boots would shift all that much.

Do you know if they are going with the "misty" or "ultra" calf? The "misty" is subtler than the Ilcea Radica but the "ultra" seems almost the same.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

does this new tannery mean that vass will be able to produce in new colors?

4. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Distinguished Member

No, I don't know that, and not sure if they know it themselves yet since they just contacted the tannery.

I don't think that Haas offers any other colors than all the ones that John Lobb uses, which nowadays are quite a bunch, but not sure. But that Vass has planned to use more colors than just the dark brown, gold and blue that came with the first delivery from Ilcea is for sure. I think they had ordered seven colors from Ilcea.

5. stmaier

stmaier Senior Member

Rezsö mentioned that they ordered 7 colors but only 3 were the "museum calf", dark brown, gold and a deep blue...the other 4 were going be "regular" leathers...I assumed this to mean non-antiqued/mottled...

Doing a quick look through the JL website I found 9 "misty calf" colors: chestnut, claret, deep blue, pewter, dark brown, green, Parisian brown, black, and ardilla.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

6. venividivicibj

I looked through JL's website but gave up because they're colors are uniquely named, and they don't have examples of the true colors haha. (Ex claret... Or chestnut for JL night be different that chestnut for C&J)

7. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Just made this Vass chart for myself. Shows the various brown/tan shades in natural light vs. the swatches

[​IMG]

8. stmaier

stmaier Senior Member

^that is awesome! Thanks for posting

9. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

That's great, thanks!

10. venividivicibj

I think the 6125 has a strong reddish tint also

11. Ecstasy

Ecstasy Senior Member

The reddish tint on 6125 cognac is lovely. But my antique cognac looks exactly the same as my 6125 cognac. Anyone else seeing the same thing?

12. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Yes, it definitely has a reddish-brown tint as confirmed in both the natural light and swatch

13. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Does anyone have a picture of a "Budapest model"/shortwing on the Peter last?

Also what about a Norweger on the Budapest last? (All I can find is the following)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

14. sjys035

sjys035 Senior Member

Hello gentlemen,

I'm about to buy Vass lasted 3-piece shoe trees for F last 40 size. However, I'm not sure these'd fit my F last 40.5 size shoes too.
    I'd be grateful if anyone could advice me who has experience of Vass 3-piece shoe trees or has information about this. [​IMG] Thanks in advance!

15. sstomcat

sstomcat Distinguished Member

Yes they will.