• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rezso confirmed to me that they will not be receiving any more Ilcea leathers.  But the good news is that they have found an alternate supplier in France.  He said the new supplier is where JLP is currently sourcing some of their leather.  I wonder if this is where the "misty calf" comes from or perhaps it is the "ultra calf" (examples of this ultra calf are under the "By Request" section of the website.

The third color is a deep navy blue.  It appears that the new supplier has this color as well as I had a boot ordered in it. 

Yes, it's Tannery Haas in Strasbourg. It was mentioned above in this thread, that John Lobb switched from Ilcea to another supplier for their museum calf about a year ago, and I think that since then they buy it from Haas. Also Zonta in Italy makes a museum calf-like leather, and know Rezso has contacted them as well as a back up for Haas. Hopefully Vass will be able to get some badges already early fall, and everything will be great again.

stmaier

Reaction score

Yes, it's Tannery Haas in Strasbourg. It was mentioned above in this thread, that John Lobb switched from Ilcea to another supplier for their museum calf about a year ago, and I think that since then they buy it from Haas. Also Zonta in Italy makes a museum calf-like leather, and know Rezso has contacted them as well as a back up for Haas. Hopefully Vass will be able to get some badges already early fall, and everything will be great again.

Rezsö seems confident that the deliveries will occur around September/October as he did not seem too worried that my delivery dates for 3 museum boots would shift all that much.

Do you know if they are going with the "misty" or "ultra" calf? The "misty" is subtler than the Ilcea Radica but the "ultra" seems almost the same.

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rezsö seems confident that the deliveries will occur around September/October as he did not seem too worried that my delivery dates for 3 museum boots would shift all that much.

Do you know if they are going with the "misty" or "ultra" calf? The "misty" is subtler than the Ilcea Radica but the "ultra" seems almost the same.

No, I don't know that, and not sure if they know it themselves yet since they just contacted the tannery.

does this new tannery mean that vass will be able to produce in new colors?

I don't think that Haas offers any other colors than all the ones that John Lobb uses, which nowadays are quite a bunch, but not sure. But that Vass has planned to use more colors than just the dark brown, gold and blue that came with the first delivery from Ilcea is for sure. I think they had ordered seven colors from Ilcea.

stmaier

Reaction score
Rezsö mentioned that they ordered 7 colors but only 3 were the "museum calf", dark brown, gold and a deep blue...the other 4 were going be "regular" leathers...I assumed this to mean non-antiqued/mottled...

Doing a quick look through the JL website I found 9 "misty calf" colors: chestnut, claret, deep blue, pewter, dark brown, green, Parisian brown, black, and ardilla.

Last edited:

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I looked through JL's website but gave up because they're colors are uniquely named, and they don't have examples of the true colors haha. (Ex claret... Or chestnut for JL night be different that chestnut for C&J)

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just made this Vass chart for myself. Shows the various brown/tan shades in natural light vs. the swatches

5fnity.jpg

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of a "Budapest model"/shortwing on the Peter last?

Also what about a Norweger on the Budapest last? (All I can find is the following)

vass_norweger3.md.jpg

Last edited:

sjys035

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

I'm about to buy Vass lasted 3-piece shoe trees for F last 40 size. However, I'm not sure these'd fit my F last 40.5 size shoes too.
I'd be grateful if anyone could advice me who has experience of Vass 3-piece shoe trees or has information about this.
satisfied.gif
Thanks in advance!

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello gentlemen, I'm about to buy Vass lasted 3-piece shoe trees for F last 40 size. However, I'm not sure these'd fit my F last 40.5 size shoes too. I'd be grateful if anyone could advice me who has experience of Vass 3-piece shoe trees or has information about this.
satisfied.gif
Thanks in advance!
Yes they will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads