The Ultimate Vass (Footwear) Thread (Pictures, reviews, sizing, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Jul 24, 2009.

1. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Sorry, what I meant was 125. both of mine are on the U last;to me the overall design of the 125 makes it sleeker

2. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

3. obama

obama Well-Known Member

TS, can you kindly share some scan of the 125 or even some side-by-side pic with 64? I am struggling to find those other than the stock photos. Thanks.

4. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

5. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

In the book "Handmade shoes for men" by Lazslo Vass, he defines Box Calf as high quality calf leather tanned with chromium salts.
    It is "normal" calf (if by "normal" is ment quality full grain calf leather) and it can be maintained the same way as other quality full grain leathers. Reno will be just fine, as will any quality shoe care products.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  6. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I have a new pair of size 41 New Peter shoe trees for sale. PM if interested. See sig.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  7. barky

barky Senior member

Hi guys, would appreciate if anyone could tell me how different/high the F last instep compared to C&J337 and AS109, which fit me fine? I am considering the the F last and is afraid the instep might be too high as I have flat feet.

8. rbrtvms

rbrtvms Member

9. Swede66

Swede66 Senior member

It is not easy to give an absolute indication on how much higher the instep is, but it is definitely higher. With AS109 I have one cm gap in the lacing despite having half a size larger a shoe compared to my Vass F lasted shoe (and U last for that matter) where I have almost fully closed lacing.

10. barky

barky Senior member

Thanks Swede.

11. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

FYI: The tannery Ilcea has now gone bankrupt. Was known that they had problems, apparently too big ones. Such a shame, just when Vass did make the great step to order in antique leathers, and great ones as well, they only receive two badges and that's all. Sad indeed.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  12. chogall

chogall Senior member

Sad news, especially when some of their leathers just popping up everywhere. Any info as to what kind of bankruptcy they undertook?

13. j ingevaldsson

j ingevaldsson Senior member

No, do not have any information about that.

14. rc121

rc121 Senior member

looking to get my first pair of Vass and wanted some opinions on some models/colors I have in mind. After confirming with Rezso that the F last can be made in an H width, I am interested in several shoes including: the Old english II (#62), italian oxford (#63), French oxford (#126), all on the F last.

Now I know most will say the OE II in oxblood, which I love and probably first drew my attention to Vass. But I am planning on wearing these at my wedding, so keep that in mind. I am not a huge fan of black shoes but maybe the OE has a little too much brogueing as well? Either way, I will be wearing a medium gray suit. I would really like to do something a little unorthodox, like maybe navy calf skin with navy grain or suede on a small section towards the laces. Does this seem a little too much? I'm wlecoming any and all opinions since I am having a terrible time deciding with the huge number of possibilities with models/color/calf alone or with grain or suede.

thanks guys

15. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

I am hoping that Ilcea can go through a reorg rather than a liquidation. Just sent Vass a payment for 3 Radica boots last week. Hopefully they will get made.