• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kanapa

Reaction score
Are really nice at winter on this rubber Vibram soles.

Attachments

• DC04F49B-0CDA-4421-815A-2E8C22A0E599.jpeg
    DC04F49B-0CDA-4421-815A-2E8C22A0E599.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 115

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Jmr928 Really? It's probably my favorite model from Vass.

View attachment 1867558
Would go great with corduroys, a sweater, a duffle coat, etc. Kind of a more refined version of those lugged Paraboot models that are trending.

But I agree that lugged soles are tough. I think they mainly look good on plain toe derby boots.
I think a pair in black could work well with fits with elements from Ikiji, Kaptain Sunshine or oversized Stoffa stuff.

Not a fan in a CM context though. The visual bulk of the commando sole I think shouts out for other heavy and oversized elements.

emptym

Reaction score
The visual bulk of the commando sole I think shouts out for other heavy and oversized elements.
Exactly, like corduroys (ideally wide wale), sweater (fluffy), and duffle coat.

I had a pair of black-split toes with lugged soles many years ago. Here's a pic from the late 90s in front of the Egyptian Museum.
IMG_2899.jpeg

Worn with tattered Grapevine cords (but narrow wale), some good, old, "spongy" cashmere, and the original Camelbak.

Maybe it depends on what you mean by CM. It's perfect for what some call, "rugged Ivy" (nice substitute for lugged ranger mocs). I don't think I'd wear them with a business suit, but I don't wear business suits very often. With something like whipcord pants and a tweed jacket, which I do wear? Definitely. I don't own any anymore, since it doesn't snow where I live now. But if I moved somewhere where it did snow, they'd be among my first purchases.

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Jmr928 Really? It's probably my favorite model from Vass.

View attachment 1867558
Would go great with corduroys, a sweater, a duffle coat, etc. Kind of a more refined version of those lugged Paraboot models that are trending.

But I agree that lugged soles are tough. I think they mainly look good on plain toe derby boots.
I always thought those soles were only for boots (ugly boots). I got the same pair showed above with the same soles for winter time and my impression has changed 180°. Fantastic combo.

emptym

Reaction score
^Yeah, they're great for those cold, dry days after a snow storm, during spring thaws, or walks in the country year round -- any time the ground is uneven, but not wet or rough enough for a boot.

I missed @jischwar's comment earlier, but I agree that they look good as a boot. Vass used to offer a model like that, but I haven't seen it on their site recently.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of those soles, these are absolutely fantastic. I've persuaded Vass to make me a pair of shoes like the one pictured featuring a reverse split toe, but they won't. I'm being told that Ascot owns the model. Vass has the blueprint, but they don't have the right to use it since they don't work with Ascot anymore.
ascot-shoes-kaan-1024x1536.jpg
vibram-sole-on-cordovan-shoes-1024x1536.jpg
hand-sewn-cordovan-apron-1000x667.jpg
hand-sewn-vass-cordovan-shoe-1000x667.jpg
ascot-shoes-review-1024x1536.jpg
cordovan-split-toe-shoes-and-denim-1024x1536.jpg

E. coli

Reaction score
Speaking of those soles, these are absolutely fantastic. I've persuaded Vass to make me a pair of shoes like the one pictured featuring a reverse split toe, but they won't. I'm being told that Ascot owns the model. Vass has the blueprint, but they don't have the right to use it since they don't work with Ascot anymore.
View attachment 1868127 View attachment 1868128 View attachment 1868129 View attachment 1868130 View attachment 1868132 View attachment 1868133
Those were Simon Crompton's shoes that Karl at Ascot offered to make for him to review- the Kaan model in cordovan. I believe Simon ended up selling them this year on Marrkt.

willyto

Reaction score
Hey can I check with u whether the forefoot sole touches the ground when you put the heel flush against the ground? I just got my first pair of shoes with commando soles and want To know whether this gap is normal
View attachment 1868146
No, that's not normal at all.

When the heel is flat the sole should be touching the floor too at the same level., the toe is a different matter because depends on how much toe spring it has.

They will be very uncomfortable and the heel breast will push against your heel.

Taken from shoegazing( https://shoegazing.com/2022/04/03/in-depth-toe-spring-heel-height-and-creases/) , also Vass Shoes:

bD6NHrX.jpg

j8clNkD.png

Also I just checked my teresianer P2 with Vibram soles and they sit flush both heel and sole.

E. coli

Reaction score
Hey can I check with u whether the forefoot sole touches the ground when you put the heel flush against the ground? I just got my first pair of shoes with commando soles and want To know whether this gap is normal
View attachment 1868146
No, that is not normal at all- the forefront should be flush to the surface like the heel.

4F97A5D2-01C8-4B6C-85DC-DF8FDAC5E1F0.jpeg

boilerMN2005

Reaction score
Can't wait to receive my first pair of Vass brown loafers on Saturday! I will say that in addition to brown, I have been on the hunt for the perfect black calf pair and the Edward Green Piccadilly is something I wish was more competitive pricing wise. I haven't found an equal re: English style and stitching with that type of last shape. Maybe Vass could create something from scratch?

emptym

Reaction score

Zapasman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I beg to differ, these I would not call ugly 😉

View attachment 1868140
You are right, those boots look terrific with vibram too!!. What I tried to say is that before getting my pair with those vibram soles , all shoes that mounted them (including boots) looked ugly to me.
As @emptym said, take a pair of jeans in winter time and wear your vibrams in good health.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads