• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Potatoe

Reaction score
On the bright side - I remembered in time to ask for metal toe taps for the last order.

On the less than bright side, for my previous pairs, - the cobbler I spoke to in Boston so far has told me he does not use metal, as people "have complained in the past", but rather plastic.

I evidently don't want plastic toe taps. The search will continue...
I had a very similar problem in Vancouver Canada.

Most of the cobblers looked at me funny when I told them what I was after. Some of the suggestions I received were quite ridiculous.

I was actually only able to find one place that does Toe Taps correctly, and this is in what is supposed to be a world class city.

I get the feeling that the high end shoe market is quite tiny outside of NewYork, Toronto, and London.

CWV

Reaction score
The purpose is to protect the front of the sole from premature wear. Many people push off from their toes when they walk, which will cause the front of the sole to wear before the rest of the sole. If you are wearing through the ball first you are unlikely to need to toe taps.
I though as much. What I do do is to kick things with the tip of the shoe bc I’m visually impaired, and thus the front edge of my sole gets indentations. Would the toe tap help with that?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I though as much. What I do do is to kick things with the tip of the shoe bc I’m visually impaired, and thus the front edge of my sole gets indentations. Would the toe tap help with that?
Really depends how high up you kick things. Not much is cut out of the bottom of the sole to install the taps. They are barely noticeable when the shoe is flat on the ground.

florent

Reaction score

This kind of taps will help:
fer-encastre-visse.jpg

This kind won't really
souliers-mauvais-fers-cloues-700x525.jpg

gmehra

Reaction score

Most of the cobblers looked at me funny when I told them what I was after. Some of the suggestions I received were quite ridiculous.

I was actually only able to find one place that does Toe Taps correctly, and this is in what is supposed to be a world class city.

I get the feeling that the high end shoe market is quite tiny outside of NewYork, Toronto, and London.
which place in Vancouver did you end up using? are you happy with their work?

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even in New York there aren’t that many cobblers that offer this...then again: the shoes of the vast majority of people here looks like crap so...

sforum1

Reaction score
Check out Bedos leather works or Kirby alison
Bedos, yes, so that we can also see how he did it and also be told how they cost $650. While he is at it, you might as well request for the soles to be replaced with JR soles. I know, I know, the shoes are new and, yes, I also know that they already came with JR soles, but nonetheless. Bedo will do a better job. Plus he's done it before. Plus, what do you have to lose? Prices for that are starting at a very reasonable $750 so if you consider that you only paid $400 for the shoes then you got some room to go there. He might also discover that underneath the soles Vass only used 7 nails instead of 8, a fact that you would not otherwise know. And can you imagine walking around in those shoes for years and years with just 7 nails? And what kind of nails are they to begin with? These are important questions.

Personally, I'll have my pair shipped directly to him to save some money on shipping.

Last edited:

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t sure on sizing so I took a flyer on these to see what the verdict on Vass was based on best guess from random sizing posts on the thread. At under $300 shipped as a unique sample pair for a black cap toe what could the risk be since I figured I could flip for most of my money back. Thankfully, it worked out. Haven’t had a chance to give them a shine yet. Less than a week from order to delivery (creasing is from trying them on)
24AF32E4-E0C1-4431-A833-6FFB54330A19.jpeg

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a very quick shine. Some more detail shots. The leather on these feels excellent. The fit is not a perfect fit (instep is a bit higher than I would have liked but tongue pads fixed that right up) but fits the rest of my foot incredibly well. I assume they were in such a deep discount because they were seconds which was perfect for my purproses of trying to get a better feel for the brand and my sizing. At the current discounts with shipping to the US and lasted trees I wonder if this is among the best value out there right now (assuming your size and a model you want comes up). Anyways, thanks to everyone on here for the posting sizing advice that I searched and researched.
D49FA415-9815-41B1-99C2-A070F5497408.jpeg
E4394271-CC45-42F4-9CC1-12CFDE0B269C.jpeg
2BBEF820-095C-4B90-8896-D86D3DDCD8E3.jpeg
D58ECFE9-F98A-40C7-A9CA-977DE71A2E71.jpeg
8044198B-B319-4B41-8460-225A1E1789AB.jpeg
0478E6FE-EA9E-4C89-A0E8-426FC37DDE49.jpeg
1EBFC91F-B018-4AE1-9881-C5F35C0775DB.jpeg

Potatoe

Reaction score
After a very quick shine. Some more detail shots. The leather on these feels excellent. The fit is not a perfect fit (instep is a bit higher than I would have liked but tongue pads fixed that right up) but fits the rest of my foot incredibly well. I assume they were in such a deep discount because they were seconds which was perfect for my purproses of trying to get a better feel for the brand and my sizing. At the current discounts with shipping to the US and lasted trees I wonder if this is among the best value out there right now (assuming your size and a model you want comes up). Anyways, thanks to everyone on here for the posting sizing advice that I searched and researched. View attachment 1492200 View attachment 1492201 View attachment 1492202 View attachment 1492203 View attachment 1492204 View attachment 1492205 View attachment 1492206
These look awesome.

And as you noticed the discounts are not based on seconds. Almost everyones shoes have been perfect.

Bit of a shame we will have to go back to paying somewhat reasonable prices for Vass.

tbaja27

Reaction score
These look awesome.

And as you noticed the discounts are not based on seconds. Almost everyones shoes have been perfect.

Bit of a shame we will have to go back to paying somewhat reasonable prices for Vass.
That's why we need to take advantage while we can! (And also use this as an excuse for buying shoes excessively)

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What color of shoe cream to use on their gold museum calf?
I mix medium brown and chestnut from Saphir to keep the original colour of the shoes. Sometimes I mix in some black to darken them or create a deeper effect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads