• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bojan Zebic

Reaction score
Don't understand it.

What is there to be understanded, some people just don’t care about their shoes and wanna get it as cheap as possible as they see no value in it. Some people are like that with suits etc.
It all comes down to what are you ready to pay for. If handwelted Vass shoes cost 1000€ I would never buy them no value in it for me, but at the price of 480€ they’re very well priced hand welted shoes and especially because at Vass for that money you can get whatever design or details you would like.
I would feel stupid to pay 1000€ or more for example for G&G shoes that are machine GYW knowing very well how much easier and cheaper that process is.
Same with the suits, as I used to work in the suit making company. We offered MTM bespoke suits made with for example Canonico or Marzotto wool where in my view Canonico is just number one as the best value/quality wool and such a suit would cost around 400€.
For that money you got your own personal constructor who first made drawings and took care of the design of your suit, and then it was stitched by one tailor assigned to your suit who would have to make constructor satisfied.
And knowing all that I couldn’t bring myself to pay 3000€ for Saville Row suit knowing very well that it has inferior construction it is much simpler made with less attention to detail, but people still pay that money just to say that they have suit from Saville Row.
Or poor people who thought that they paid for bespoke MTM suit from certain big name companies, but were actually just being measured by that famous companies and then we would as a contract company by those measurements through their software make for that company totally not bespoke suit but just a common machine made (without human involvement) one which in the end they would charge funny amounts of money.

Last edited:

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 940085

20180312_120942.jpg

20180312_120805.jpg

20180312_112249.jpg

Last edited:

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are some good prices for clearance models on ascot shoes Instagram. They have a really sweet looking shortwing in UK 12, a touch too short for me (ha that's a pun).

wristandfeet

Reaction score
What is there to be understanded, some people just don’t care about their shoes and wanna get it as cheap as possible as they see no value in it. Some people are like that with suits etc.
It all comes down to what are you ready to pay for. If handwelted Vass shoes cost 1000€ I would never buy them no value in it for me, but at the price of 480€ they’re very well priced hand welted shoes and especially because at Vass for that money you can get whatever design or details you would like.
I would feel stupid to pay 1000€ or more for example for G&G shoes that are machine GYW knowing very well how much easier and cheaper that process is.
Same with the suits, as I used to work in the suit making company. We offered MTM bespoke suits made with for example Canonico or Marzotto wool where in my view Canonico is just number one as the best value/quality wool and such a suit would cost around 400€.
For that money you got your own personal constructor who first made drawings and took care of the design of your suit, and then it was stitched by one tailor assigned to your suit who would have to make constructor satisfied.
And knowing all that I couldn’t bring myself to pay 3000€ for Saville Row suit knowing very well that it has inferior construction it is much simpler made with less attention to detail, but people still pay that money just to say that they have suit from Saville Row.
Or poor people who thought that they paid for bespoke MTM suit from certain big name companies, but were actually just being measured by that famous companies and then we would as a contract company by those measurements through their software make for that company totally not bespoke suit but just a common machine made (without human involvement) one which in the end they would charge funny amounts of money.

480 Euros! That's not what I was quoted :(. Perhaps museum calf more expensive than calf?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
480 Euros! That's not what I was quoted :(. Perhaps museum calf more expensive than calf?

The current MTO price is 510. 480 was last year’s price (according to my correspondences).

Bojan Zebic

Reaction score
So their prices went up already?. I always thought museum was around 30 € more expensive than normal calf.
Museum (Ilcea) and calf (Du Puy) used to be the same price, yeah maybe the price went up a bit, but maybe it is also because of shipping costs etc., the price in the shop for delivery there is 150.000Huf for shoes (up from 145.000) and 170.000Huf for boots (up from 165.000).

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah that's exactly what I was quoted. Thank you!

So their prices went up already?. I always thought museum was around 30 € more expensive than normal calf.

These prices don’t include shipping. That’s 40 euros 2 day delivery to USA. Not sure pricing to other areas. All calf and suede shoes the same price. Calf boots are 560, and cordovan shoes are 590.

Stock items in the shop are usually a little less but don’t come with trees.

Prices seem to go up every year.

wristandfeet

Reaction score
These prices don’t include shipping. That’s 40 euros 2 day delivery to USA. Not sure pricing to other areas. All calf and suede shoes the same price. Calf boots are 560, and cordovan shoes are 590.

Stock items in the shop are usually a little less but don’t come with trees.

Prices seem to go up every year.

Yes these are the exact prices quoted. Thank you. I think the calf-cordovan price gap is small, compared to other RTW makers.

The price increase this year was coupled with Euros appreciation against USD, so seemed especially bad for US consumers.

Though that still didn't stop me from placing an order lol

Terminator

Reaction score
I was quoted 550 eur including trees and shipping for shoes and 600 eur including trees and shipping for boots. I didn’t specifically ask about cordovan, but I thought it was fairly well established in this thread that they will only work on cordovan supplied to them by the buyer. Or has this changed?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes these are the exact prices quoted. Thank you. I think the calf-cordovan price gap is small, compared to other RTW makers.

The price increase this year was coupled with Euros appreciation against USD, so seemed especially bad for US consumers.

Though that still didn't stop me from placing an order lol

I was quoted 550 eur including trees and shipping for shoes and 600 eur including trees and shipping for boots. I didn’t specifically ask about cordovan, but I thought it was fairly well established in this thread that they will only work on cordovan supplied to them by the buyer. Or has this changed?

I’m in Switzerland btw, but my understanding is that shipping accounts for 40 eur of the quoted price, so same as for the US in that case.

the strong dollar against weak pound and euro during 2015 and 16 allowed us to get away with some amazing deals on imported footwear here in the US. Not surprising that our current president who made billions from foreign investment in domestic real estate would pursue a weak dollar strategy but here we are now. Vass MTOs in particular were screaming bargains. They still have a high value proposition relative to UK and American brands, but it feels less like I’m getting away with murder lol.

Vass does have horween shell hides in stock, but they will no longer make tall boots.

Still, a handwelted, handlasted, hand polished full goyser budapester in color 8 shell for 590 eu is an excellent deal, considering Alden sells 975s for like $760 now, Goodyear welted, machine lasted, die-clicked, paint-lacquered

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics