• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fitting advice requested re the F last, after researching a fair bit. I've seen varying advice about sizing down for the F, but also that it isn't as wide as the P2, which the only Vass shoes I have are on.

I Brannock 10.5C Left and 10D Right, but usually wear a 10.5D US. I have a narrow heel, average(?) ball/instep. Some sizes I wear:
Vass P2 - 43 budapester (good fit, excess volume around the ball/above the toes)
Alden Grant - 10D derby boot (good fit)
AE - 10.5D most lasts, with variable fitting
Carmina Simpson - 9.5 UK derby (slightly tight on ball/instep, slightly loose heel).
Lobb 8000 - 9.5 UK derby (great fit, slightly loose heel)
CJ 228 - 9.5UK derby boot (loose unless wearing thicker socks, but that's part of the fit)

The problem is that I have oxfords only on AE, and often find the fit considerably different from oxfords to derbies (instep-related?). The P2 works well with thicker socks or a thin insole and medium socks. Would people suggest 43 or 43.5?

TIA.
I would recommend going with 43.5 in E width. It is more of a slightly less voluminous fitting that a true narrow width. YMMV.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own any dress shoes or oxford/balmoral boots on the P2 last? I'm interested in a back boot, and P2 fits me the best, but I'm thinking the profile might be too chunky for a dress boot, particularly since I need to take "H" width.

Opinions?

zr3rs

Reaction score
Does anyone own any dress shoes or oxford/balmoral boots on the P2 last? I'm interested in a back boot, and P2 fits me the best, but I'm thinking the profile might be too chunky for a dress boot, particularly since I need to take "H" width.

Opinions?
These are 8F.
DSCF3109e.jpg

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to those who provided sizing advice, anyone have any strong opinions re: sole choices? Some internet sleuthing discovers that several years ago there were some strong feelings that the double tapering to single sole is "unbalanced"; I couldn't tell if people objected aesthetically or found the sole to be actually physically unbalanced. I'm looking at the Old English II and Double Monk models on F last, I think the tapering sole could look really sharp on both, perhaps more so on the monk strap.

Also, I'm looking at getting the OEII in gold museum and the double monk in red cognac, but it seems like both have a pretty significant variation. Is this just based on different batches of leather, or can one request a specific shade?

1065-f-museum_gold-single_sole.jpg
1064-f-museum_calf_gold-single_sole.jpg
1064-u-red_cognac_calf-single_sole.jpg
5100-sp-red_cognac_calf-double_sole.jpg

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got two boots with the HAF (double to single) sole. It wears just fine! However, the way Vass does it, it mostly looks like a single sole to me.

purpleporing

Reaction score
Quick sizing question if anyone would be so kind on advice.

All my non-Vass shoes are 7.5UK (EBs, J. Fitzpatrick, etc.) or 8.5D US (AEs). They all squish my toes a little bit so I double-checked my sizing recently.

Turns out I should have been wearing 8UK/9US all along. Oops.

For Vass, I bought a pair of Vass size 42, U-last, which fits almost perfectly -- although any smaller and they probably would squish my toes just as much as my other shoes.

For the F-last, should I be getting size 41.5 or 42? Or size 41.5? I notice Jeeves' chart correlated 8UK with 41.5-F and 42-U. (I always thought 41.5 was equivalent to 8.5 but know every maker seems to be slightly different...)

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how you're so lucky. In the past 3 months, I've written 4 emails to that address, and never received a response at all.

I wish I could tell you! I emailed just to see if I would get a response (and because I wanted to order shoes) but didn't do anything special. Sorry you're not getting a response.

saepnirg12

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent experience with Vass's dark brown calf?

I have read elsewhere that Vass's dark brown calf now comes in a lighter shade. Can anyone confirm? Unfortunately, I have yet to see any pictures of this new shade in the wild.

Meyboom

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent experience with Vass's dark brown calf?

I have read elsewhere that Vass's dark brown calf now comes in a lighter shade. Can anyone confirm? Unfortunately, I have yet to see any pictures of this new shade in the wild.

See post #460 in Jeeves thread

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads