• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting that in store they still estimate 4-6 weeks completion of MTO shoes but everyone in here seems to be closer to 8+ weeks. Not complaining since 8 weeks is still an incredible turn around time compared to other brands and especially for hand-welted. I just prefer the under promise and over deliver method.

EDIT: I suppose this does sound like I'm complaining LoL

Last edited:

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two new arrivals from Budapest late this past week. I ordered these in person in mid-August. Very pleased with the service and with the shoes! Pair #2: P2 last, Antic Cognac Cordovan, galosh oxford with medallion, double to single (HAF) sole, rubber toe tap.
Great choice of make up! You're going to love them. Here are mine on the F last in dark brown museum.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@JSO1
nice oxfords! Does the P2 golosh oxford fit the same as the P2 derbies?

Also, does anyone have experience with ordering from ascot shoes in the US? I ordered a pair, and asked for Royal Mail shipping but they've shipped by DHL. Should I expect a giant bill for duties and fees from DHL? (never received anything through DHL, and heard horror stories of DHL's miscategorization from the cusotms thread, so I'm kinda worried)

+1 for the US as well. Recently, I noticed that they have made many errors in calculating customs charges for multiple shipments, all in the favor of the US government. I had all of these reversed, so it pays to review their calculations.

I've gotten painful customs bills from DHL.
I have found it to be somewhat a roll of the dice, never fully understanding the "why" but just as a counterbalance and maybe a glimmer of hope I came away clean through DHL the 2 or 3 times Ive gotten overseas packages through them and my worst experience was FedEx although Ive had good ones with them too.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two new arrivals from Budapest late this past week. I ordered these in person in mid-August. Very pleased with the service and with the shoes! Pair #1: U last, Antic Cognac Calf, Old English II with v-cap, painted beveled waist, single sole, rubber toe tap.
Pair #2: P2 last, Antic Cognac Cordovan, galosh oxford with medallion, double to single (HAF) sole, rubber toe tap.
Congratulations @JSO1! Those are gorgeous. How did you end up sizing the P2 and U last?

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations @JSO1 ! Those are gorgeous. How did you end up sizing the P2 and U last?

If it's any consolation, I had to go down half a size from U last to P2. Vass also recommends the same.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never seen a Vass reverse welt that wasn't Goyser stitched. Will they do a standard split reverse welt? Does anyone have any example pics?

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Congratulations @JSO1! Those are gorgeous. How did you end up sizing the P2 and U last?

If it's any consolation, I had to go down half a size from U last to P2. Vass also recommends the same.

Thanks, and yes - 41.5 on U, 41 on P2. Both are very comfortable although the facings do fully close when laced up - I don't have a super high instep and every last I tried seems to have a very high instep (even U, which Vass advertises as a lower instep last). Going down 1/2 further would be too short in each last.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
U may have a low instep in comparative terms (though in comparison to what, I couldn't say) but as you point out, it is definitely not a "lower instep last" in absolute terms. I'm not sure why Vass describes it that way. I have a high instep and comfortably wear U without sizing up in length or width. In fact, I find the fit of all the Italian lasts to be very similar everywhere but the toe box.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

DHL recently charged me $80 on a $220 order (Sam Hober Ties), although I'm in Canada which is probably a different scenario than being in the U.S. Still, DHL does have a rep for high charges.

+1 for the US as well. Recently, I noticed that they have made many errors in calculating customs charges for multiple shipments, all in the favor of the US government. I had all of these reversed, so it pays to review their calculations.

DHL is notorious.... It's better off that the shipper includes custom fees in the price. Otherwise, it is a pain **********. 

painful. how did you get it reversed?

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

painful. how did you get it reversed?

It was actually very fast. I called DHL- they forwarded me to their customs collection line. In one case I told them that the item I had sent was a sport coat and not a "coat" as in overcoat, and they dealt with it right away. In the other case I called and told them that the item shipped to me were alterations on a suit I had already paid duty on. Poole had labeled the package as "one altered suit", so again it was dealt with immediately in my favor.

This is one positive thing about DHL's policy on holding shipments with fees greater than 200 USD. Until you pay the fee and the item is in your possession, you have time to fix their screw ups.....

Gavinband

Reaction score
Latest order of four:

Bordeaux shell u cap

Cigar brown shell Budapest oxford

Bordeaux shell loafers

Blue museum austerity brogue

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the Peter and Budapest lasts relate? I am 43.5 in both F and U, but I have no experience with any other lasts. Thanks

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do the Peter and Budapest lasts relate? I am 43.5 in both F and U, but I have no experience with any other lasts. Thanks

The budapest last is shorter than the P2, and has a higher toebox wall.

Since you take the same size in F and U, I'm guessing you must have a narrow-ish foot and high-ish instep, in which case my sizing experiences would be entirely off the mark :)

Edit: realized you asked about Peter and not P2, so I should let others chime in.

Last edited:

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a up to date Vass price list? He website used to have a PDF but it seems to have disappeared since the overhaul...

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBBSTI LTD