• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zinc2162

Reaction score
Couple of years ago, I bought Allen Edmond wide basic belts from their factory 2nd outlet but the belts are first quality. They were around USD$65 each. The quality is much better than the ones I bought from Winners in the past. They come in many different colours too. Obviously, it would have been better value if our dollar is still strong.

rwtc

Reaction score
You have great timing. I just checked. I have two belts, one is from Perry Elis and the other is from RL, although it says Lauren Ralph Lauren.

I only wear both belts with matching shoes once a week, so I"m not sure what your mileage is. I for one will not pay alot of money for a belt so both are fine for my standards.

Funny enough, I have a casual brown belt from the Gap for years now and I wear the hell out of that thing and it's held up fine.

I have personally not had much luck with Perry Ellis ... a belt fell apart after a few months, only to discover it is made of this cheap synthetic material, even though it claimed to be made of leather. This is US Outlet quality. To be fair, I haven't purchased any belts from the Bay for years, so the quality may have improved. But I have tried many belts in the past, only to crack miserably.

What worked for me was getting Brooks Brothers 346 outlet belts in the US. I have a couple - they are all made in Italy and they have held up far beyond my expectations. The only difference I see between my belt and the non-outlet store belts is that my outlet belt is shinier, while the store belts are matte. They were about $45 USD when I got them.

Yeah I think one is a Dockers Belt. Just one solid piece of leather. Was about $40 and I've had it 3 years and counting.

I have a similar belt from Banana Republic - it has held up very well. Will give Dockers a try for sure.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back when our dollar was worth something, I bought 4 belts from Equus.

Good quality and good value (at the time).

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have personally not had much luck with Perry Ellis ... a belt fell apart after a few months, only to discover it is made of this cheap synthetic material, even though it claimed to be made of leather. This is US Outlet quality. To be fair, I haven't purchased any belts from the Bay for years, so the quality may have improved. But I have tried many belts in the past, only to crack miserably.

What worked for me was getting Brooks Brothers 346 outlet belts in the US. I have a couple - they are all made in Italy and they have held up far beyond my expectations. The only difference I see between my belt and the non-outlet store belts is that my outlet belt is shinier, while the store belts are matte. They were about $45 USD when I got them.

I have a similar belt from Banana Republic - it has held up very well. Will give Dockers a try for sure.

I'm actually wearing another Perry Ellis as we speak. It could be that I only wear each belt once a week so that could factor in why it doesn't break?

I'm actually looking to buy a navy belt to go with another pair I have but so far no luck.

Spex

Reaction score
I h
Back when our dollar was worth something, I bought 4 belts from Equus.

Good quality and good value (at the time).

I have 1 Equus belt and it is way nicer than a belt I bought from Danier. Super soft and smooth. I can't imagine it could ever crack like cheaper, bonded leather belts I've bought from Winners. I am also watching the exchange rate hoping for the day I can buy another for a more favorable price.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to jump in w a reco: Anderson's, avail. at Rosens.
Grabbed one a few weeks ago. Lovin it. Great qual IMO, obv, but fit two things I was looking for specifically:
- no branding whatsoever (ie vs even the tiny "Allen Edmonds" writing on the buckle etc)
- belts is all this company does.

Love it when a place stays on one product alone.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm heading to NYC for the weekend. Probably can't lug a pair of shoes back but if anyone wants me to proxy stuff for them within reason, message me and I'll see what I can do.

rwtc

Reaction score
Where do you guys get your ties?

In terms of a physical store, I go to Harry Rosens ... on sale
shog[1].gif
Steve at FCP is pretty good; fantastic eye and doesn't pressure sell. Harry himself actually named him as the best salesman that he's ever had. There are ties in the store that aren't listed online that are pretty nice tbh.

See article: http://www.profitguide.com/manage-grow/sales-marketing/best-salespeople-ever-29954

Most Rosen salesmen makes me feel uncomfortable ... which is why I buy most of my stuff online
nod[1].gif

Last edited:

NickInTO

Reaction score
I get most of my ties online, but I've bought a couple of Drake's and Borrelli's from Holts.

Chambertin

Reaction score
Almost all my ties are from eBay. I find ties so delicate that they end up with a pull or fray quite quickly.

I've bought a few online new, and other new ties I've gotten as gifts. I recently bought a Charvet while in Paris.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My most recent belts are through Equus, which I purchased back in February. I got them while on sale, so it worked out to be about $75-80 USD per belt. The CDN price was also pretty hefty then, so I opted to use USD via PayPal to lessen the pain.

I can't justify using them right now, since one would have to pay double in CDN to purchase something in the UK. I'm also in the hunt for a burgandy coloured belt to match my pair of Carmina adelaides that will arrive next month, so I'll keep the advice given in mind.

Even with belts I care about quality. but I cannot tell the difference so I get leery of what's out there. I may just have to give up on that notion depending on how my search goes.

As for ties: while I'm not looking for any right now, I can't see myself paying too much for a tie as I see them pop up on B&S & LuxeSwap for decent prices. I'd rather shell the money on footwear and other clothing.

Cityplace

Reaction score
For staple belts (black, brown) I've bought from Kent Wang and Epaulet. The Kent Wang belts in particular are very nice and thick(ish) - and the Epaulet Natural CXL belt is a great casual mid-brown belt with awesome fading/scratches development.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads