• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
Do you find this type of toe taps throws off the balance of the shoes?
Good question...I have them on a pair of recently acquired Trickers Grassmere but that boot with Topy come in at over a kilo and I don't notice them, on a lighter shoe... ideally a recessed toe tap (as shown) would be preferable, especially aesthetically.

Screen Shot 2021-09-14 at 4.26.32 PM.png

Trickers Grassmere, leather double sole, Topy and toe and heel taps.
IMG_2843.jpg
IMG_E2840.jpg

Also..any decent cobblers in TO besides Nicks?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question...I have them on a pair of recently acquired Trickers Grassmere but that boot with Topy come in at over a kilo and I don't notice them, on a lighter shoe... ideally a recessed toe tap (as shown) would be preferable, especially aesthetically.

View attachment 1668803

View attachment 1668810
View attachment 1668812

Geesh, there's almost more sole than boot on that thing.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1668803

View attachment 1668810
View attachment 1668812

I can recommend many cobblers outside of Toronto. In my opinion, the ones in Toronto do inconsistent work or won't use materials I want.

Closest ones are Dimar in Guelph, and Fix em up in Barrie. I have reviews of them in separate threads.

If you're willing to ship, that really opens up things. If you want some more recommendations, let me know.

I'm going to ship some stuff to Dan Frappier in Sudbury (Heels n Soles) in future, so if you can wait, just throw your stuff into my box. You'll save on shipping that way.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm driving up to Sudbury on Friday, and Heels n' Soles is 1 minute away from my in-laws. Happy to drop stuff off, but may not be convenient as I'm in Kitchener.

Generous offer. Kitchener is a bit far for me.

rob80bboots

Reaction score
........more sole than boot on that thing.

Can't say that for my Tricker's Stow made for Paul Smith...with my lengthy daily city strolls on the tarmac the leather is getting precariously thin up front....mind that welt. :oops:
stow.jpg
Paul  Smith Stow 4444.jpg

Same goes for the similar double leather soled Trickers Burford.
Burford Espresso .jpg
The rest of the boot array are mostly on Danite or Commando so no panic to get them done, the toe taps should temporarily ward off any major repairs or resoling.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a U.S. proxy to T.O. who can make a purchase for me this evening. Please let me know if you can help me out or have a tip someone who might.

I realize there are corporate forwarding services, but I'm looking for a human being who can help me out on a one-time basis and I don't mind paying a helper fee. Cheers.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a U.S. proxy to T.O. who can make a purchase for me this evening. Please let me know if you can help me out or have a tip someone who might.

I realize there are corporate forwarding services, but I'm looking for a human being who can help me out on a one-time basis and I don't mind paying a helper fee. Cheers.

What are you looking for?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't say that for my Tricker's Stow made for Paul Smith...with my lengthy daily city strolls on the tarmac the leather is getting precariously thin up front....mind that welt. :oops:
View attachment 1669110
View attachment 1669111

Same goes for the similar double leather soled Trickers Burford.
View attachment 1669112
The rest of the boot array are mostly on Danite or Commando so no panic to get them done, the toe taps should temporarily ward off any major repairs or resoling.

Yikes. Do you think the leather of the outsole might have something to do with it, or do you just put them through their paces?

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know he's been pinged, but send a PM to Viral if you haven't done so yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads