• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

OTCtailor

Reaction score
last bump. hoping someone can actually tell me the issue here
It could be a variety of issues. maybe some humidity hit that area and the seam is puckering? Someone needs to physically look at it in order to give you a real qualified response

armstwa

Reaction score
I ordered a 3 piece navy suit off of black lapel. I received it a couple of weeks ago and finally got some pictures. Overall, I was surprised at how close it came for the first one and multiple measurements with my friend (who wasn't the best at measuring). I have a few thoughts and will post them below, but wanted to see if anyone had any other thoughts. The shirt is a Proper Cloth and the vest BL made fit well.

• I think the jacket is a little long
  • I think the sleeves are either a little too long or my shirt sleeves are too long (I know this is an easy fix)
  • I think the shoulders are a little wide, they protude ever so much from the edge of mine
  • I think the collar does not fit as snug behind my neck as it should, they made it for "erect posture" because my shoulders sit forward from my neck, maybe the regular is correct
  • Something's up with the pants, they taper too much at the ankle

Overall, this is their slim fit (slimmest option), I was hesitant to order it but they recommended it for me. The pants had a hard time getting around my shoes.

I sent these to Black Lapel, and they advised me to have my tailor make the corrections. They think I should have him shorten the jacket by an inch, taper the sleeves and take them up slightly, take it in around the hips, shorten my pants. They admitted the shoulders looked slightly wide but nothing too big. I wasn't too happy with that reply, as I know my tailor is a) expensive (this would cost way over the $75 allotted) and b) shortening a jacket at a tailor is a bad idea. I've heard great things about the service so I'd imagine they would remake if I requested.

Thanks for your feedback guys. This is my first "big" suit purchase, so want to get it as close to perfect as possible.

Wade

bobba1293

Reaction score
I'm having an expensive tailor made jacket made by internet order, and they sent me a sample to check if the fit is ok before they make it. I think the arm holes are too big because it pulls whenever I move the arms (am I right?), but other stuff may need changing too. What should I ask them to change?

Last edited:

armstwa

Reaction score
I agree, my brother thinks he's a professional photographer and takes them his way. Given that I am a busy, single man, it's near impossible to get someone to take pictures of you in a 3 piece suit too often. I'm hoping the pictures I have can give some general ideas. I've added some with just the vest below.

Any comments are appreciated.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

last bump. hoping someone can actually tell me the issue here

go to the tutorials click on "fare ward shoulders".

remember to go to the tutorials for answers.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, all. This is my first foray into the tailor thread(s), so i hope you will excuse me if I commit a faux pas or two, and I hope you will be kind. I recently picked up this Isaia for Saks secondhand. It is quite obviously too big: I am a solid 42R US and this is a 54R EU. My question is whether there is so much needed here to get it workable that it doesnt make sense to try. Obviously the sleeves and inseam are easy fixes (I planned to get trou cuffs anyway). I should probably have the trou slimmed. But what I'm really here for is to find out if the jacket can be nipped in enough to look decent. Also, does it seem short, or is that just the current sensibility? Sorry about the lighting. I tried a room with brighter walls, but the flash kept washing out. And here I have roughly pinned it in the back to get some waist suppression. I had pinched at least two inches of material. For comparison, here is a well fitting (I think) jacket from earlier in the week. Thanks in advance for your input.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey G. I love seeing your fits in the MC threads.

I'm not a tailor but let me help you out real quick. The pictures need to be taken in either better lighting or natural lighting. And they need to be at your chest.

If my girlfriend takes my pictures and they're at her chest, they look like yours and no suggestions are plausible with that kind of view. Just an example. But they need to be at your chest, these are about crotch level.

Your pictures are pretty good in the morning when you post. I'd say wait and take them outside.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GMMcL, the front/back balance in that jacket is off by a mile. If that was me I'd skip it, but maybe there's some workaround or fix for a short front/long back that I don't know about?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads