1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. lostintranslation

lostintranslation Senior member

No. The jacket sleeves are definitely a bit long. I'll take them in to get shortened. Are there any other alterations that you would recommend to get the jacket to fit better?

2. submatrix

submatrix Well-Known Member

Been following this thread for some time, and now have finally acquired a MTM suit. I need to redo the shots with the jacket on, as they were taken with distortion. However, I think the shots with the jacket off should at least be critiqueable.

For this set of pictures, I am looking for help on the fit of my shirt (my first MTM shirt) as well as the pants (bottom half the suit). Undistorted pictures of the full getup later. I realize I am not wearing shoes, apologies in advance. It's the one well lit place suitable for pictures in my apartment, and the GF won't allow shoes there :)

To my untrained eye, the fit seems to be quite good. But that's why I'm here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. dan'l

dan'l Senior member

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post in, but since it is frequented by tailors, I thought I would try asking:

I am having an overcoat made and am pretty set on having turnback cuffs (w/o buttons). However, my tailor discouraged me from getting them, saying it takes too long to have them made up. I have a Brook Brothers overcoat with turnback cuffs and they indeed look a bit more complicated than normal cuffs, but I would think that creating working buttonholes on the sleeves is just as much effort as turnback cuffs. Could someone offer any insight?

(For clarification, my tailor is located overseas. I mailed him my fabric and he will have the basted fitting ready for me on my next visit. I hope to take the overcoat back home with me a week later, hence the time constraint.)

4. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

I am sure I know the answer to this, but just in case:

I want to buy a particular suit - jacket and pants are sold separate. The jacket fits perfect as available in my size. I usually wear 31 inch waist pants; the smallest they have is 36.

Is it possible/advisable to attempt such alteration regardless of how good my tailor is? Or just a total waste of money?

Thanks!

5. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Hi guys, another question: I was hoping for some feedback about how you think this double breasted OTR suit blazer fits on me, and what alterations I need to make. It's full canvas if that makes a difference. Principally, am thinking how much of the waist/chest I need to take in - I know double breasted blazers don't look good unless they have a more dramatic silhouette. I know that the sleeves will need to be adjusted both in width and in length. I'm also still thinking whether the jacket length needs to be shortened. Please let me know what you think of the fit and also what alterations are needed. All feedback welcomed. Thanks! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ebayhtl

ebayhtl Senior member

Hi guys, Might as well get this one in too - do you think any adjustments in terms of taking in the waist/chest need to be done to this jacket? This one is not as obvious a candidate as the above double breasted blazer because it is almost there (already took in the sleeves), it's just one size big (38 instead of the usual 36). Many thanks! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  7. bklyndoc12

bklyndoc12 Active Member

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding this shirt. I am thinking about sending it for measurements to make an MTM shirt. Any comments on the fit?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RPM1

RPM1 Well-Known Member

I went to a new tailor to have jacket sleeve alterations, and he seems to have damaged the fabric.

Is there any way it can be repaired?

[​IMG]

9. StraitUpSuburbs

StraitUpSuburbs Active Member

Other than sleeves which are a little long, it looks good to me.

10. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Had these crazy Hiltl trousers shortened by the well known London tailors I always use, but to me they are still far too long.

Does everyone agree?

[​IMG]

11. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

12. manchambo

manchambo Senior member

I have a question about the proper way to hem chinos. I just picked up two pairs of Incotex cotton chinos from a local alterations tailor I've had good luck with in the past. To my surprise, they finished both pairs like jeans: that is, with visible double seam, leaving no material for further alterations (except I suppose for shortening). This is not what I've expected, not what I've seen before on this type of pants, and there's no apparent way to fix it because they didn't leave enough fabric to do a more formal rolled under hem. Am I unreasonable in thinking chinos should not be finished this way?

13. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Some chinos have a machine stitched hem as you describe and some are done with more of a turn up hem and finished by hand or with a blind stitch machine. If they were previously hemmed as opposed to unfinished bottoms when you brought them to the tailor, they would most likely have hemmed them in the same way as the original hem. If unfinished, they decided how to finish the hem. Now you know to specify the method of hemming you prefer.

1 person likes this.
  14. kiwijunglist

kiwijunglist New Member

@odradek - I like your shoes

15. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

Thanks.

Loake Asquith.

16. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

Mr. Reeves/Mr. Despos:

If you could please provide some insight as to my pants, I'd really appreciate it.

Here's a pic from the basted fitting with no braces:

[​IMG]

Here's a pic after the tailor enlarged the seat slightly and with braces. He said he couldn't do anything about the wrinkles without compromising comfort. Do you agree with him? Do the wrinkles have to do with my stance?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  17. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

trouser needs the same adjustment that was done to the jacket. The jacket was pinned up across the back to erect the jacket, make the back shorter in relation to the front. If you pin the trouser in the same way across the back of the trouser just below the pockets, it will clean up the wrinkles under the seat and not effect the comfort. Don't know why the seat was let out, it looks way too big and sloppy. Looks like the waist seat and crotch need to be reduced

18. Returningson

Returningson Senior member

Found my answer

19. Limniscate

Limniscate Senior member

Mr. Despos, thank you for your prompt reply. I may have lost some weight between the basted fitting and the final form, so is it something that's fixable by sending it back to him?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  20. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

No fit pictures, but I have a question: A number of my shirts (about 10 at this point) have developed a horizontal tear in the left elbow either right below or above the flex point. This problem has only arisen within the past couple of months and has happened with both RTW and custom shirts.

I spoke with my shirt guy and he seems to think it's mostly regular wear-and-tear. While I'm sure that has something to do with it (every shirt with a tear is at least a year old) it seems odd that it's happening all at once with shirts that are ten years old and shirts that are practically new (in comparison). He suggested possibly adding some fabric around the elbow area, but my shirts are already pretty full through the arm (I don't want a bunch of bagging).

Worth noting that I have changed my workout routine in the past six months, so I thought that might be an issue. However, since it's only the left elbow, I'm not sure if that's really the cause...

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! :slayer: