• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's on the short side but it does cover your rear, so if the shorter length works for your proportions, it's fine. By looking at your pics, I'd say a longer jacket could make you look short-legged.

Thanks very much for the feedback. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear, but of course didn't want to say so and risk influencing one's opinion.

This is a recent MTM suit that overall I think fits really well. I posted the pics in some other threads and received very positive feedback, but became a bit discouraged when a few posters mentioned the jacket looks short, which I had already been thinking. The jacket actually turned out to be a half inch shorter than specified--it measures 31" from the top of the collar down the back seam to the bottom of the jacket. For reference, I am 5'10", 190 lbs, and in general, I would say I have a relatively long torso and shorter legs, which are also on the thicker side from weightlifting. So I would agree that a longer jacket could make my legs look short. That said, I prefer classical proportions and hate the overly tight, narrow lapel, short jacket "fashion" suits that are currently popular. I think 1 cm longer than the jacket pictured would be ideal for me, but I'll try to live happily with this one as is. :)

Thanks again for the feedback!

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a follow-up to the discussion above on my jacket length, here are some more pics I snapped. (The previous ones were taken from waist level, which might have been throwing-off the perspective.)

These aren't the greatest pics, either, but I appreciate any more comments on the jacket length or any other aspect of fit. :) Ignore the cuff/break, as the pants have not been hemmed yet and are just rolled-up for the pics.

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Balance and proportion are perfect, IMO. Perhaps I'd have preferred more extended shoulders together with a narrower sleeve opening, but other than that it looks good.

smoothmoose

Reaction score

Balance and proportion are perfect, IMO. Perhaps I'd have preferred more extended shoulders together with a narrower sleeve opening, but other than that it looks good.

Agree on above. Jacket length is style preference imo. I would prefer slight wider shoulders as well, but the fit looks good.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
As a follow-up to the discussion above on my jacket length, here are some more pics I snapped. (The previous ones were taken from waist level, which might have been throwing-off the perspective.)

These aren't the greatest pics, either, but I appreciate any more comments on the jacket length or any other aspect of fit.
smile.gif
Ignore the cuff/break, as the pants have not been hemmed yet and are just rolled-up for the pics.

Everything does look pretty good here. Yes, you would benefit slightly from a slightly narrower sleeve opening but that is a small thing. Shoulder fit is alright as well. With the slope of your shoulders, I see why you may prefer or have gotten that slightly narrow fit. On the jacket length, it's my opinion that it does look fine. Could go no shorter. Could go up to 3/4 inch longer without really disturbing proportion. If you go with a future commission, your thoughts on 1/2" longer would be absolutely acceptable.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OTCtailor, don't you think that sloping shoulders are more suitable for extension? It seems to me that as long as there's not much padding, it would look more natural than on someone with square shoulders.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear the length and proportions look better in the second set of pics. As for the shoulders, point taken, but I'm very happy with them as they are. :)

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting here before I complete my next order. Quoted myself from the KW page.

Figured I'd post my blazer after the tailor. The folds by the patch pockets are the tailors fault. They did it wrong. I gave them their fair share of ranting and raving after they told me, "everything has folds, bro." Have yet to find a competent tailor in AZ. So they're staying this way for now.

Anyone know how to get rid of the center-back wrinkles?

(Changes made by tailor, -.5" waist suppression on seams going in to patch pockets, -.25" length to sleeves.
Changes to future KW order are -1cm waist, -.5cm sleeve [to mimic what the tailor did] plus -.5cm sleeve rotation to fix folds in back of sleeves)

Wide Lapel
Patch Pockets/Welt Pocket
Half Lined
Soft Shoulder
Horn dark brown buttons
3r2.5

Neo1824

Reaction score
From the side it seems like the back was suppressed too much...looks tight.

Which tailor are you using in phoenix?

Neo1824

Reaction score
That's who I use too...had pretty good luck with them. I cant really tell from your pic what's wrong but they won't adjust your pockets?

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They adjusted the waist and there were folds from the seam after. They also did not adjust the pockets, so they stick out now. I asked them to fix it and they said everything has folds, it happens.

They also screwed up a tie and told me they thought it looked stylish. Widened an expensive tie of mine and the tip was maybe half an inch from center. Never going back.

They also held my pants for a week and a half and forgot to do them. Then acted like it was no big deal. That's when I blew up and walked out

Neo1824

Reaction score
That's too bad. I've also had stuff get forgotten/done late but the work is mostly good.

Let me know if you find someone better...always good to have options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads