• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, that looks better. Based on your previous posts, though, you need to find a new tailor.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, and probably bespoke. I really wish I could stick with MTM for monetary reasons, but it is sooooo prone to errors (see how this jacket inexplicably came with lower armholes than the previous one, that navy blazer I wore often), and my patience is running out. I think my current tailor is not willing to do bespoke, or if he does, he won't put a lot of effort into it.

So I guess I could take this latest MTM coat to a new tailor and tell them what I don't like about it... or maybe just let them do their work and figure out what's better for my complexion.

I'm actually quite happy with this seersucker jacket, but I just can't understand why mistakes that were corrected with the previous coat have arised again with this one. If it wasn't because I needed a summer jacket quickly, I sure as hell wouldn't have done another MTM piece
shog[1].gif

Last edited:

oneTwo

Reaction score
I have a 36S suit jacket that fits perfect except the sleeve length is too long. The problem I'm facing is that there are functional buttonholes on it and shortening it at the sleeve end is not going to work. My tailor also said it would be too much to shorten it at shoulders.

I love the jacket so I'm trying to explore all options. My question is if was able to get the same jacket in a bigger size at 38 or 40, could those sleeves be removed and reattached on a 36S? Would this look right or would it be out of proportion? The functional buttonholes would then be removed.

DHD28

Reaction score
Guys I need some help. If I am wearing a jacket and cannot move both of my arms in front of me, is it the chest or the shoulders that need to be adjusted? How much should it be adjusted? It feels very tight near my armpit. Plus, how do the arms look? I am looking to get a new suit soon and I don't want to make the same mistake.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ellsbebc

Reaction score
If
Guys I need some help. If I am wearing a jacket and cannot move both of my arms in front of me, is it the chest or the shoulders that need to be adjusted?

If you are making a bear hug motion, it's most likely the chest. Do the lapels bow when standing upright with jacket buttoned? It is certainly possible the shoulder is too tight also but you have to supply pictures for better assistance.

Last edited:

DHD28

Reaction score
Thanks for the input . I just added two more pics. Anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited:

OTCtailor

Reaction score

Thanks for the input . I just added two more pics. Anyone else have any ideas?

My advice is don't move like that. The armholes are probably a bit low.

OTCtailor

Reaction score

Yes, and probably bespoke. I really wish I could stick with MTM for monetary reasons, but it is sooooo prone to errors (see how this jacket inexplicably came with lower armholes than the previous one, that navy blazer I wore often), and my patience is running out. I think my current tailor is not willing to do bespoke, or if he does, he won't put a lot of effort into it. So I guess I could take this latest MTM coat to a new tailor and tell them what I don't like about it... or maybe just let them do their work and figure out what's better for my complexion. I'm actually quite happy with this seersucker jacket, but I just can't understand why mistakes that were corrected with the previous coat have arised again with this one. If it wasn't because I needed a summer jacket quickly, I sure as hell wouldn't have done another MTM piece
shog%5B1%5D.gif
The problem is that your tailor has a maker for mtm that is rather inconsistent and he may not send enough units to have the leverage to get them to fix the problem. Its a factory somewhere that probably has a bunch of other tailors sending work their way and when things get screwed up the factory just says too bad pal or hey aren't you a tailor u fix it! Now if you're sending a factory 50 plus units a month in suits shirts or combos thereof well now you have leverage to better manage production. So, in essence the things you're asking for from mtm really are not that hard to do in actuality whether fitted in person or not. Higher armholes for instance are not a big deal to make. The problem is either on your tailors end forcarelessly not managing those details or its on the makers end for making the error. They could be in mainland China or India or where ever and just not care about your tailor that much because he's just a blip on their radar as an independent guy. There are good mtm sources out there that will give you a quality garment at a very manageable price.

DHD28

Reaction score
My advice is don't move like that. The armholes are probably a bit low.

I don't usually make this kind of movement. Was just wondering since I noticed it today while trying to reach for something way above me.

bfeng91

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just received a MTM suit from Indochino as a graduation gift. There aren't many tailors in the Champaign, IL area and the one I visited said he couldn't do anything based on the amount of fabric that there was left to work with. The suit feels a little tight in the chest/waist area, the vent doesn't come close to closing, and there's dimples on the back under the collar. Any suggestions on what measurements I should change when I send the suit back to Indochino for a remake? Any help would be appreciated, as I'm pretty much a suit newbie.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem is that your tailor has a maker for mtm that is rather inconsistent and he may not send enough units to have the leverage to get them to fix the problem. Its a factory somewhere that probably has a bunch of other tailors sending work their way and when things get screwed up the factory just says too bad pal or hey aren't you a tailor u fix it! Now if you're sending a factory 50 plus units a month in suits shirts or combos thereof well now you have leverage to better manage production. So, in essence the things you're asking for from mtm really are not that hard to do in actuality whether fitted in person or not. Higher armholes for instance are not a big deal to make. The problem is either on your tailors end forcarelessly not managing those details or its on the makers end for making the error. They could be in mainland China or India or where ever and just not care about your tailor that much because he's just a blip on their radar as an independent guy. There are good mtm sources out there that will give you a quality garment at a very manageable price.
The factory is in Spain, but I don't know why there seem to be communication problems. The jacket came with awfully low armholes (much lower than they are currently) and my tailor had to somewhat fix them by buying extra cloth himself and completely remaking the jacket's sides. I even had sort of a "basted" fitting in that process, however since the sleeves weren't set, I had trouble assessing whether there was enough shoulder extension or not, or if the armholes were high enough. There wasn't enough cloth for more extension anyways.

You're right that what I want to achieve should be possible with MTM. The form that has to be filled out to send to the factory has spaces for specifying shoulder width from collar felt to sleeve seam, armhole height, etc. And they were filled out correctly, yet there were many details that were absolutely off. I just don't want to go through the trouble of not getting what I want again. I'm kinda happy with this DB because well, technically, it fits very well; it's just not flattering. And it could have been.

The reason I don't want to go bespoke with this man is that he seems extremely reluctant to doing tons of handwork. Even though he had to replace the jacket's sides, it looks like it was done in a hurry. I don't want him to make me a suit in a hurry, really.

Last edited:

pleco

Reaction score
Something weird is happening with my MTM suit sleeves, can anyone help diagnose? My shirt sleeves are quite slim so I don't think it's the shirt causing it. Can these be widened if necessary?

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is going on with the my trousers in the area just below my belt buckle? There's some wrinkling/pulling from the first belt loops down to the middle of the fly. Also, the pleats do not lay completely closed even though there is plenty of room in the thighs. Is this acceptable? The outermost pleats, nearer to the pockets, do lay closed, though.

OTCtailor

Reaction score

The factory is in Spain, but I don't know why there seem to be communication problems. The jacket came with awfully low armholes (much lower than they are currently) and my tailor had to somewhat fix them by buying extra cloth himself and completely remaking the jacket's sides. I even had sort of a "basted" fitting in that process, however since the sleeves weren't set, I had trouble assessing whether there was enough shoulder extension or not, or if the armholes were high enough. There wasn't enough cloth for more extension anyways.

You're right that what I want to achieve should be possible with MTM. The form that has to be filled out to send to the factory has spaces for specifying shoulder width from collar felt to sleeve seam, armhole height, etc. And they were filled out correctly, yet there were many details that were absolutely off. I just don't want to go through the trouble of not getting what I want again. I'm kinda happy with this DB because well, technically, it fits very well; it's just not flattering. And it could have been.

The reason I don't want to go bespoke with this man is that he seems extremely reluctant to doing tons of handwork. Even though he had to replace the jacket's sides, it looks like it was done in a hurry. I don't want him to make me a suit in a hurry, really.

The hurry may mean his workload is very high. In this case I would also find a new tailor if you're set on going bespoke. Def don't wanna pay money like that for a rushed job. Also, the db just looks loose in the front mostly. Fixing that right probably means a pocket recut. Its not excessive but the shape is missing right there.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hurry may mean his workload is very high. In this case I would also find a new tailor if you're set on going bespoke. Def don't wanna pay money like that for a rushed job. Also, the db just looks loose in the front mostly. Fixing that right probably means a pocket recut. Its not excessive but the shape is missing right there.

Thanks. Yes, his workload is pretty high, which is why I don't really blame him; but at the same time that's why I don't want to bother him with more corrections to this jacket (will probably take it somewhere else if I lose some weight and want to give it some more shape), or bespoke commissions. Mostly because I probably won't be satisfied with the outcome and it's a waste of time for both of us. I'm convinced he's a good tailor, he just doesn't have the time, so I'm gonna have to find someone who does...
smile.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads