1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

What I meant was that, if you shorten it from the bottom, to move everything up (pockets, etc.) in proportion, you would have to, then, disassemble most, or all, the jacket anyway, if it's possible at all. It's the combination of both shortening from the bottom, and attempting to raise the jacket's features, that I meant to say would not be worth the effort.

I can see that my post did not really make that clear.

2. AdamWill

AdamWill Well-Known Member

and the other bit that makes it unclear is that 'shortening from the top' involves doing pretty much all the same stuff anyway :) I can see what you meant, but I can also see why despos thought it was garbage.

3. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Well-Known Member

Yes - fortunately Despos was here to give a correct response to the question.

4. markfjh

markfjh Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

My first MTM suit from CYC Custom Shop in Singapore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My apologies for the not-so-straight tie clip!

I've made a couple of shirts from CYC before and always enjoy the shirts that they make for me. This is my first suit form them, and I have to say that I think they are better at shirt making than suit making. Just a feeling I get.

5. AdamWill

tailors won't be able to judge the pants correctly with you in bare feet, you need to wear some (appropriate) shoes.

6. Jeff Nguyen

Jeff Nguyen Member

I bought a Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suit on ebay based on listed measurements. I know the trousers and jacket sleeves need to be shortened, but I am unsure about the rest of the fit. What do you all think? Also, excuse the oxford shirt and loafers, as I am traveling for work, and don't have anything else to wear with the suit right now. https://imgur.com/a/LCV8Z

Thanks!

7. ALange

ALange Active Member

Took a shot at my first MTM suit and feel that things look off. Im going to bring it back to the shop for alterations but was hoping to get some feedback as to what I should request. In my (unexperienced) opinion the button stance and arm holes are too high and the shoulders are too wide. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

I have received my Suit Supply tuxedo(s) this afternoon (BTW excellent turnaround time, I ordered from Suit Supply on Wednesday April 2nd and received my order this afternoon - Friday April 4th) and would like your input.

Now, keep in mind that I am not your average lean/fit #menswear enthusiast, therefore I am a little harder to fit, be it in office clothing or casual attire. For the record, I'm 6' and currently 245lbs and trying to lose some, with a 47" chest. I lost 23lbs since January 1st and plan on losing 10lbs more until my wedding which is planned on July 12th of this year.

This is my first order with Suit Supply, so I used both their Size Advisor and Measurement page to guide my purchase. I order the tuxedo in 46R and 48R.

This is the 48R:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously, I would need to alter the trouser length, so please excuse the messy trouser cuff/bad drape. Please note that this is the only white shirt I had and not the tuxedo shirt I'll wear for the wedding, I haven't received it yet. Also note that this is the first time I'm wearing a self-tied bow tie (also from Suit Supply) so give me chance to improve!

What I think is good:

- Shoulder width seems fine, there is no (or minimal) shoulder divots, which I usually something I have problems with;
    - Sleeve pitch seems adequate from the side;
    - No collar/chest gap;
    - Quarters are closed enough that it doesn't show some shirt below the button;
    - Trousers feel great and sit at the correct height;
    - Good range of motion without the feeling of pulling;
    - Jacket is long enough (maybe 0,5" short but I can live with it).

What I'm not so sure about or I don't appreciate:

- There is some pulling between the shoulder blades and there's sometimes a crease going over the back of the lapel/collar (which I get with all of my jackets - posture related?);
    - Back looks a little bit messy (might be less apparent if the vents were let open?);
    - There are some crumpling on the sleeves in the front and upper back;
    - Jacket looks boxy (but I think this is inevitable given my proportions);
    - Trousers are a little bit tight below the seat which leads to some visual pulling (although I feel great in them);

Given that I should (there's always a possibility I won't, but chances are I will) be 10-15lbs lighter on my wedding day, the 48R should show less pulling in some places, notably under the seat (back thighs) and lower back/love handles region. I might even be able to have a tailor take the waist in a little bit, therefore diminishing the boxy appearance.

As opposed to the 46R:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although I like the fact that is looks less boxy and the shoulders look great, it is noticeably too snug almost everywhere. I'm going to return this one. Please excuse the OCBD, I didn't think of putting on a proper shirt for the tryout.

Please excuse my ugly mug and let me know what you think.

P.S.: I'm going to post a duplicate of this post in the Suit Supply thread to receive further comments and critics.

9. GloStiX

GloStiX Well-Known Member

Very specific question for the experts here:

Jacket has too much skirt flare.
    Red = problem area, gap between hip width and jacket hip.
    Green = the contour I want to achieve.
    It looks much more severe in person, because this picture is taken from top-down angle so it enhances chest width and gives the illusion that the hips aren't as wide as they are. In real life it looks like a tutu! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My question is: how do I fix this? Which seam should I (or my tailor, assuming I can find a competent one around here) take in? Pinning the center back seam didn't help, it maintained the hip flare shape. I think the jacket needs to be taken in from the side vent seams, kind of "rotating" the front quarters of the jacket. Any advice?
    [​IMG]

10. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

guys--

Can you give me your impressions on this one? the side vents and other basting stitching still in, but the store didn't want to touch anything but stitch the buttonholes on this one. I can't tell if the middle is X-ing at the button or not? they are happy to do more alterations if need be, but hard to trust the sales reps all the time.

thoughts on fit? thank you!
    [​IMG]

11. forbritisheyes

forbritisheyes Well-Known Member

Hope the tailors can comment. I always like your stuff. Seems bit tight in the waist.

12. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

Chest is too small

13. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

Thanks for the look! Yep, I guess it is a trade off for me with most brands these days-- to get the nice trim fit under the arms, waist, etc i lose a bit in the chest fit. Other brands have a bit more room sometimes but when I size up to 40, stuff requires too many alterations and still doesn't look as good on sides and under arms

14. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Hi tailors, @Despos

The chest and shoulders on this suit fit well, but there's wrinkling in the sleeves. Can that be fixed? Does it require rotating the sleeves?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. DjangoV

DjangoV Well-Known Member

I am not a tailor nor a fit expert, but it seems you also have an issue with the waist fit. Notice the wrinkle running from the closed button below the pockets (and also the lower button flaring out a bit)? Seems a bit tight to me (could be wrong though).

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  16. Dipty

Dipty Member

Hey guys.

Sorry if the photos aren't to the best standard, but I had this thought running through my mind this evening when I had run out of things to do and thought I should get the thoughts of this great forum on it. :)

Recently, I purchased a suit which I believe fits me quite well (apart from the pants). Anyway, I'll cut to the chase - I am not satisfied with the way the trousers are fitting me, and was wondering what I can do to reduce the break and make them flow better so I can perfect these pants as best I can. Willing to listen to any recommendations, and it would be strongly appreciated.
    Just to be clear, this was an OTR suit I purchased from Country Road (http://www.countryroad.com.au/shop/man/the-suit-store/the-modern-tailored-suit) and I haven't tailored it one bit so far.
    I've also included an extra photo of the full suit, but please note that the pants look a lot more crinkled in that photo because at that point they weren't fully ironed and my mother really wanted to get a photo at that point, lol.
    Oh! I should add that I wear the pants fairly high to try and reduce this wrinkled look, obviously only as a temporary resort.

Cheers,
    Sky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. AdamWill

amateur opinion (not tailor): They just need hemming (shortening). Any alterations tailor you can find will do it for like ten bucks. They look a little tight in the top half to me, but workable. edit: it's also super-easy to see how hemming will look - just roll up the legs of the pants (to the inside).

Also, learn to do your own damn ironing, but you don't iron suit cloth (unless it's really cheap or 'washable' stuff, which you shouldn't buy anyway). Take it to the dry cleaners to have it pressed.

18. Dipty

Dipty Member

Thanks for your reply.

I figured they probably needed to be hemmed.
    As for the ironing part, it is honestly a small area of wrinkles (lower legs) and an iron on cool over a medium sized cloth covering the fabric does not damage wool.
    If it needs to be done, it is safe to iron suit pants this way, if not, pressing is needed.

But a trip to the dry cleaners on its first day? Nope.
    Enough of that, I'll take it in tomorrow to see what my local tailor thinks.
    Sky

19. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

Hello all, first post in this thread. Got my first pair of pants from Luxire for which I used measurements of another pair of pants. I have about a 35 waist, but much bigger hips/thighs/butt, so RTW can be difficult for me which is why I am hoping that MTO can be the answer..

Looking for what I can ask for next time to get a better fit. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks in advance:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. NeedForTweed123

NeedForTweed123 Well-Known Member

Do suit/jacket shoulder seams need to be the exact measurement of your actual shoulder? If I bought a suit with an 18.5 inch shoulder to shoulder measurement, would it be too large for my 18 inch shoulders?