• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks very much, Despos. That's sorta what I thought. I'll weigh whether it's worth it. I would be going from about 8.5" across the leg opening to about 7.75"
unsolicited opinion. I wouldn't wear a tuxedo with an overly tapered leg. Would consider the shoe style worn and want the trouser to sit nicely on top of the shoe. You would want to shorten the trouser more at 7.75 to look right than with the opening at 8.5, but you know what you like and want.

Last edited:

timbugtoo

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is a suit I ordered from Black Lapel, in the hope of getting a suit that actually fits me. It's a Light Gray Slim Fit suit.

I did discover that, in terms of the tailoring at the stomach and in the width of the pants, the Slim Fit was a tad more aggressive than I was wanting. But that's personal preference. And I understand I could adjust both of those things a bit with tailoring.

Could you guys let me know what you think about the overall fit? (I haven't gotten the suit steamed or anything yet, so maybe that makes it harder to judge?) I know the pant legs are too short, and I noticed wrinkles/folds on the back of the coat just behind the armpits. Also, my dress shirt sleeves aren't showing at all, but I think the problem is probably that my dress shirt sleeves are just a tad too short.

My biggest question is regarding the shoulders. Are they too wide? I'm wondering if I'll need to have the coat remade, or if it can just be tailored.

Thanks for any input you have! I don't really know what I'm doing.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hey guys, this is a suit I ordered from Black Lapel, in the hope of getting a suit that actually fits me. It's a Light Gray Slim Fit suit.

I did discover that, in terms of the tailoring at the stomach and in the width of the pants, the Slim Fit was a tad more aggressive than I was wanting. But that's personal preference. And I understand I could adjust both of those things a bit with tailoring.

Could you guys let me know what you think about the overall fit? (I haven't gotten the suit steamed or anything yet, so maybe that makes it harder to judge?) I know the pant legs are too short, and I noticed wrinkles/folds on the back of the coat just behind the armpits. Also, my dress shirt sleeves aren't showing at all, but I think the problem is probably that my dress shirt sleeves are just a tad too short.

My biggest question is regarding the shoulders. Are they too wide? I'm wondering if I'll need to have the coat remade, or if it can just be tailored.

I think the shoulders look fine. There is a little space opening between the suit and shirt collars, but it still looks pretty good.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

first check the trousers. they may be shaded or it may just be the lighting.
but it looks like the wrong trousers.

if you decide on a jacket remake.
you have a right low shoulder, and a high right hip.
the waist and seat circumferences an inch larger.
the shoulders look just a bit wide, but not being able
to put a hand on the jacket its a guess. 1/4" 1/2" ?
the sleeves need to be shorter about 1/2"
your erect posture wants the back to be 1/2" shorter
at the top.
you should send these pictures to them along with
the instructions. draw arrows at the points you describe.

you might go to the tutorials. there is information on the
changes above. it will help you understand what is happening.

rs232

Reaction score

Just the major issues. Chest is too large but the fronts are also short. Would move the neck point on the front part towards the shoulder 3/8" and raise this point 1/4" . Extend the shoulder width 3/8" to maintain the same width. This will move the breakline and reduce some of the extra cloth in the chest area and help to make the front edge hang straight.It will also bring the collar closer on your neck. One change and three results. That's why you don't really want to mess around with the front neck point as it effects so much of the jacket but we are experimenting here.
Let out the underarm panel at the top of the armhole 3/8" to nothing at the waist.
Shorten the back from the top 1/2". Do another basted fitting to see how much effect these adjustments create.
How much fullness do you add to the back shoulder ? How much fullness do you baste into the under collar? Could better judge your collar issues better from seeing the pattern and not the jacket.
Some of you lingo is hard to interpret.

Click for large size

The difference the 1cm change in neckpoint makes is amazing. Suddenly, the collar hugs tightly, but almost all the other seams need to find a different natural position, and the scye needs a lot of work after that. It's taken me ages to understand most of the implications of changing the neck point, and it's been very instructive. (And time consuming. I've done heaps of rebastes that looked rubbish.)

I'm pretty much out of inlay at the side of the fronts (there is no separate sidebody), and at the shoulder on the fronts, which is a shame, because I think that letting out the front side and taking in the back side could result in a cleaner looking back. I'll make as much adjustment as I can there with what seam allowance is left.

The back still has a little work to go. I take it I need to take in the back at the lats a little, and stretch the upper back over the blades more to reduce the pulling at the top CB seam?

THe backs are about 8mm longer than the front at the shoulder seams, and there is about 1cm of fullness in the backs basted at the undercollar. It really needs a pressing - it's been pulled and tugged a lot over the last week.

Here is the pattern of the original jacket:

4hW67.jpg

I basted a sleeve in, to test the adjusted sleeve cap. I'll also need to take note of the natural hang of the sleeve vs the stripe orientation for next time, given that the stripes are not vertical. This is the first time I've cut for stripes. I'll probably shorten the sleeve 5-7mm.

Are there other adjustments I could make that would improve the appearance of the coat, within the limits of what I have to work with

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Click for large size
The difference the 1cm change in neckpoint makes is amazing. Suddenly, the collar hugs tightly, but almost all the other seams need to find a different natural position, and the scye needs a lot of work after that. It's taken me ages to understand most of the implications of changing the neck point, and it's been very instructive. (And time consuming. I've done heaps of rebastes that looked rubbish.)

I'm pretty much out of inlay at the side of the fronts (there is no separate sidebody), and at the shoulder on the fronts, which is a shame, because I think that letting out the front side and taking in the back side could result in a cleaner looking back. I'll make as much adjustment as I can there with what seam allowance is left.

The back still has a little work to go. I take it I need to take in the back at the lats a little, and stretch the upper back over the blades more to reduce the pulling at the top CB seam?

THe backs are about 8mm longer than the front at the shoulder seams, and there is about 1cm of fullness in the backs basted at the undercollar. It really needs a pressing - it's been pulled and tugged a lot over the last week.

4hW67.jpg

I basted a sleeve in, to test the adjusted sleeve cap. I'll also need to take note of the natural hang of the sleeve vs the stripe orientation for next time, given that the stripes are not vertical. This is the first time I've cut for stripes. I'll probably shorten the sleeve 5-7mm.

Are there other adjustments I could make that would improve the appearance of the coat, within the limits of what I have to work with

Thank you for showing the pattern. There are things to change about the pattern, don't use this pattern as it is again. Correct the pattern before the next jacket and you won't have as many issues. Biggest issue is the shape/curve of the underarm panel. The top back part of the curve needs to be much higher. There is no roundness in the armhole shape

The shoulder seam sits too far back. That's why the collar sits so low in back. You want the collar about 2 cm higher at the center back point. On the pattern, Is the neck curve on the back where you baste the collar? Do you add an outlet above the curve or cut the cloth on the curve of the pattern? Sorry, not sure how to phrase the question.

there is about 1cm of fullness in the backs basted at the undercollar
not sure what you mean by this

Another experiment. Open shoulders, take off the back part. Lower the front shoulder line 2 cm at the neck and 3 cm at the end of the shoulder point at the armhole. At the bottom hem of the front, lengthen the jacket fronts 4.5 cm. at the front edge and 3.5 cm at the back where you join the side seams. After you mark the jacket this way, take a picture of the jacket while it is open. Want to see the armhole shape.

Don't change the back length. Baste the sides and baste about 1.5 cm of fullness into the back shoulder.

Lower the button position on the waist 2 cm.

A general comment and question. You do use a thimble, right? On your basting stitches, try to go under the cloth less and make the stitches more equal in length. Not short ones and long ones. Your basting thread will look more like 3 cm of white thread and 1/2 cm or less of space between the stitches. If you have trouble going under the cloth in smaller amounts, hold the needle closer to the point of the needle.

Last edited:

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some help here guys - I'm trying a new MTM suit where the company sends a sample suit of a standard size, you try it on and give measurement changes that will be applied to your MTM suit. I'm usually a 40L, and this is a 40R, so I assumed I would need some extra length, lower the buttoning point, etc. However, this suit is cut pretty small in almost every dimension - I wonder if I should return it and try the 42R and then make adjustments based on that? I would need to make pretty many changes to this pattern, and I'm a little nervous the finished product may still have some problems

The jacket fits tight in the shoulders and the armholes also feel too snug as well. The chest feels pretty good though - it's not pulling across the front and the lapels aren't bowing out at all. The trousers are good in the waist, but the seat and thigh are definitely too tight. Any thoughts/criticisms are appreciated. And remember this suit is just a sample - I can change any measurements and a new suit will be completely recut for me. Thanks!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Need some help here guys - I'm trying a new MTM suit where the company sends a sample suit of a standard size, you try it on and give measurement changes that will be applied to your MTM suit. I'm usually a 40L, and this is a 40R, so I assumed I would need some extra length, lower the buttoning point, etc. However, this suit is cut pretty small in almost every dimension - I wonder if I should return it and try the 42R and then make adjustments based on that? I would need to make pretty many changes to this pattern, and I'm a little nervous the finished product may still have some problems

The jacket fits tight in the shoulders and the armholes also feel too snug as well. The chest feels pretty good though - it's not pulling across the front and the lapels aren't bowing out at all. The trousers are good in the waist, but the seat and thigh are definitely too tight. Any thoughts/criticisms are appreciated. And remember this suit is just a sample - I can change any measurements and a new suit will be completely recut for me. Thanks!

The pictures are too dark on my screen to see much close up detail, get a larger size and see if it is better. You don't need a long. May have to adjust for erect posture. Post pictures when you get the next size up.

The trouser is very tight , definitely need a bigger size and a fuller leg so you don't look bow legged.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Here are some things to play with. Your sleeve is looking better than a majority of sleeves coming from people who should really know better. Good work so far.

7976319546_8ce77e2267.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jeffery's changes are what I was trying to explain but easier to understand the visual of his pattern changes than my explanation.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The pictures are too dark on my screen to see much close up detail, get a larger size and see if it is better. You don't need a long. May have to adjust for erect posture. Post pictures when you get the next size up.
The trouser is very tight , definitely need a bigger size and a fuller leg so you don't look bow legged.

thanks Despos...I'll see if I can get some better pictures up. The suit is a pretty standard charcoal but I agree it is showing up much darker in the photos. Agreed about the trouser, it feels uncomfortably tight and definitely needs some more room all around.

vovve

Reaction score
As you can see I'm new to the forum and I think this is a truly great thread. This is a MTM suit, navy flannel no shoulder padding. Considering order another - this time slightly longer with light shoulder padding. Any ideas how to improve from this would be much appreciated. Ideas on having this one altered are of course also welcome. My main concerns are the pulling at waist button and the bowlegged trousers. I also wonder if armholes should be higher? Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics