1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

2. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Charliebrown, that looks like a lost cause to me. Shoulders are way way way too tight, which throws everything off. My guess is you also made the chest and waist measurements too tight, though it is impossible to tell given the shoulders. Button point also way too high.

3. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

May not be the best place for this, but i have a coat ( like overcoat ) construction question.

Backing buttons, rules for when they should be there or when they are unessecary?

4. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

That is very unfortunate to hear :( Thanks for your honesty.

I don't like how high the button stance is either, but figured I can live with it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  5. Jaggs

Jaggs Senior member

Tailors,

I haven't worn this suit very much this year, however I have intended on taking it to the tailor to bring in the thighs for a while now. I took some pictures today to get a full view of what else may need to be adjusted. I'd like some high level comments on other areas, like the shoulder blades for example, so I can fully understand what's going on with this suit on my body.

Thanks for the comments and help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: I will add that I had the jacket and waist taken in about 18 months ago, so some of the wrinkles could have been caused by sloppy work in the past.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

From the front, this looks better than 98% of the suits posted on StyFo. Interested in the tailors' feedback

7. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Yup, it might not follow his body contours perfectly, but it has smooth lines, which is rather unusual...

8. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

You could clean up the back blades by reducing the back from the top of the shoulder to the waist. You have to open the seam and reduce the back parts only. Some might want to take the side and back in together at one time but that is not the way to do it. Can't tell if you need to slope the shoulder a little. You want a tailor who knows how to work in the armholes to clean up the blades and not change the shape of the armhole. That's what happens if you take in the sides on the double and not reduce the back part alone.

Be careful reducing the thigh on the trouser. You don't want the trouser to look flared at the bottom. need to reduce the leg all the way to the hem with a clean line.

9. Jaggs

Jaggs Senior member

Thanks Despos - I'll go over everything with my man regarding the blades/back and will be sure to take care of the full length of the leg.

Appreciate the feedback and will be sure to post again with a couple of other tweaks I may need advice on.

10. Playlife

Playlife Member

I got my first tailored suit in October - I got it made in Hong Kong by Sammys Tailor on Mody Road. Any comments about the fit?

PS: Shirt is also tailormade - any comments on that too?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Just purchased two sportcoats. Need some feedback as to which size I should keep. Ignore the shirt under. I just threw the jacket on top.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. theclipper

theclipper Senior member

Hi all,

I posted earlier but only had a front shot of the jacket. Here are a few different angles of a size 36. I am very new to this so I was hoping to get some feedback as to whether I'm even in the ballpark with this jacket. Off the bat I know the sleeves would need to be shortened. Any suggestion/feedback helps.

Thanks much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

DIESELMAN
    keep the 38.

14. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

your right low shoulder is causing that gap by the collar on the right.
    they did the right job lowering the shoulder but the coat collar needs
    to be brought in c;loser to the shirt collar.

15. MASTERTAILOR

MASTERTAILOR Member

What are the fibers of the suit? it does not seem to be hanging correctly on you. unless the suit is all natural I wouldn't count on it loosening up with body heat. many of the suits today that are marketed as "wrinkle resistant" actually are coated with a sprayed on then baked on plastic. Bad for your skin, health, and body temperature.

16. kischi

kischi Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An old blazer that I had lent to my brother. Will probably sell it, as it feels very wide in the shoulders. I assume, this can't be fix at moderate cost? Also, the coat is rather long. What do you think?

17. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

I bought a Suitsupply DB suit in 48 Short (24). The thing is that 46 would be too tight, 48 too long and 48 Short (24) too wide since it's wider than a regular 38, but since I'm not very tall (172cm) a regular 48 would be too long on the sleeves and with functional buttonholes it would just look weird since I would need to shorten the sleeves much. So I figured that a 48 Short (24) would be easiest to do alterations with.

I know it's too big now, but my question is if I should take it to the tailor or send it back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I don't think it need that much alteration?
    [​IMG]

Also, the shape of the right shoulder on the suit is different than the left shoulder, and when I take a picture of me from the sides, with the arms hanging, you can see that the stance of the right shoulder is not correct, as it's extra fabric that creases, so there is something wrong with the suit?

[​IMG]

18. tomkd

tomkd New Member

New blazer and slacks for me - would love feedback on the fit of both items. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Playlife

Playlife Member

a tailor: Thanks for the comments - this point I didn't even notice [​IMG] Seems like the rest is fitting pretty well right? Personally I wouldn't mind that the sleeves on jacket was cut a little slimmer.

20. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Any other feedback regarding which size to keep would be appreciated. Already been instructed o keep the 38,