• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got the pics from my fitting with Richard Anderson back - light blue pants are bespoke and darker blue pants and jacket is a MTM suit. Any feedback on fit and potenital alterations greatly appreciated. Jacket felt tight in the chest and shoulders for sure. And bespoke pants felt tight in the thigh area. Obviously length of pants and jacket sleeves will be adjusted. Feedback welcome.

Bespoke pants:

MTM suit

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably just the angle, these are RTW in any case.

The cuffs are 2” - maybe reduce to 1.5” and increase the length 0.5” ?

Think that would help. How tall are you? My tailor does 2" cuffs only for people around 6'2" and up. The rest get 1.5".

I also think a fuller pant would do wonders for you. Alan Bee is now going to pop into the thread like the Kool Aid man. I'm convinced that he has an alert for the term fuller pants :)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd like to have these irregular wide wale trousers let out about an inch. See photos for closeups of the material and how it meets at the waist. Is this inadvisable to do with this kind of corduroy? I do not want unsightly creases/scarting or which clearly still shows the original line of the seat. Thanks for any advice.

If this is the wrong forum to ask this type of question, please just let me know. It seemed a good fit (no pun intended)
Will probably leave a trace of the old seam. The nap and being cotton are the reasons.

Lots of water, steam and heat, press only on the back side not on the face. If you aren't happy with it you can have it sewn again to the original.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Think that would help. How tall are you? My tailor does 2" cuffs only for people around 6'2" and up. The rest get 1.5".

I also think a fuller pant would do wonders for you. Alan Bee is now going to pop into the thread like the Kool Aid man. I'm convinced that he has an alert for the term fuller pants :)
Most cuffs we make are 1 5/8" or 1 3/4". Rarely anyone asks for 2" cuffs.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
I have asked this question before but have forgotten the response unfortunately.

I have narrow hips and a ‘flat seat’, so all pants tend to have excess cloth around the rear. Would it be preferable to ask for this to be altered by being taken in along the centre seam or for the back part to be taken in along each of the outseams? From past experience I suspect the outseams are better, especially if a significant adjustment is required (I often need to take in 0.5" at each seam, from waistband down to a few inches below where the pocket ends, level with the crotch) but I have no idea if this is correct or not.

Last edited:

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm 5'10 - and will change them to 1.5" cuffs like all my other pants! Not sure why I tried 2".

And yes, progressively moving towards fuller pants - in due time..

lfd75

Reaction score
Quick question for the experts; what is the maximum number of sizes that pants can be taken in without needing a recut? My searche showed numbers ranging from 2"-6". I think 6" is too much but how about 4"?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have asked this question before but have forgotten the response unfortunately.

I have narrow hips and a ‘flat seat’, so all pants tend to have excess cloth around the rear. Would it be preferable to ask for this to be altered by being taken in along the centre seam or for the back part to be taken in along each of the outseams? From past experience I suspect the outseams are better, especially if a significant adjustment is required (I often need to take in 0.5" at each seam, from waistband down to a few inches below where the pocket ends, level with the crotch) but I have no idea if this is correct or not.
Depends. The angle of the waist/seat seam is relative to your body type/shape. If the angle is correct you want to reduce on the side seams. If the angle of the waist/seat seam needs to be adjusted to the shape of the seat, do that first. For a flat seat the angle of the waist/seat seam needs to be more vertical and less of an angle like this /.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Quick question for the experts; what is the maximum number of sizes that pants can be taken in without needing a recut? My searche showed numbers ranging from 2"-6". I think 6" is too much but how about 4"?
Depends on the waist size. if you have a 46" waist you can reduce more than if you have a 32" waist. Smaller sizes 2" is max before the side seams and front pockets move too far to the back. The issue is all the taking in is done at the center back seam and doesn't take away cloth across the front panels. Will always be baggy fullness on the fronts.
Recutting involves reducing the front panel which means you either have to remake the fly or remake the pocket and both of these adjustments require removing the waistband. Usually not worth the effort for the expense of doing the work.

lfd75

Reaction score
Depends on the waist size. if you have a 46" waist you can reduce more than if you have a 32" waist. Smaller sizes 2" is max before the side seams and front pockets move too far to the back. The issue is all the taking in is done at the center back seam and doesn't take away cloth across the front panels. Will always be baggy fullness on the fronts.
Recutting involves reducing the front panel which means you either have to remake the fly or remake the pocket and both of these adjustments require removing the waistband. Usually not worth the effort for the expense of doing the work.
Thank you very much for your reply! Basically I was wondering if size 40 pants (that would be free) could be easily converted to size 36 but I think I'll pass.

4r36

Reaction score
Dear all, I would like to know your opinion about a shoulder issue I have with my blazer. The left shoulder shows some dimples (no divots with arm at rest) close to the sleeve-head, exactly where my natural shoulder ends. Do you think the reason is that the jacket shoulder is too much extended? What annoys me a bit, it is that because of the dimples the shoulder seems to collapse. Here some pictures:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So just got my trial shirt from Vanacore through Steve from Gentlemen ‘s Footwear back, any suggestions?

Attachments

• C09D3076-6F2D-4E75-8A4A-E3775C12C5A1.jpeg
    C09D3076-6F2D-4E75-8A4A-E3775C12C5A1.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 5EACCB70-D56B-4E6B-9D04-C3C6D1679507.jpeg
    5EACCB70-D56B-4E6B-9D04-C3C6D1679507.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 56
  • B93FB03B-C1FF-4C3C-A325-CDE1A3E545A0.jpeg
    B93FB03B-C1FF-4C3C-A325-CDE1A3E545A0.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 71
  • FC14EF8D-1BAA-4E6E-89F6-5358F28FBC96.jpeg
    FC14EF8D-1BAA-4E6E-89F6-5358F28FBC96.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 68

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads