• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely get another sleeve.
lol yes will do... my wife was in shock we she saw it because she thought it was the finished product.

Does anybody have an idea how to take into account my "fat" belly when I sit down but at the same don't have a lot of excess fabric when I stand?

Canadianguy

Reaction score
Would appreciate some others’ opinions on this women’s camel coat I got for my wife. Is it possible to clean up the fit a bit with alterations or is it simply too large?

This is a size 0, the smallest available but she loves the style and quality.

Would appreciate any feedback!

D2F5A691-8994-46C5-9785-696650D14573.jpeg
49D00024-DC33-4560-AF25-3235F317D0C8.jpeg

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
100% possible. The coat is designed to be fuller, though. Don't go too slim with the suppression or you'll lose the plot.

papado

Reaction score
So just got my trial shirt from Vanacore through Steve from Gentlemen ‘s Footwear back, any suggestions?

I think you're getting a bump in the back of the collar--I know some shirt makers can adjust the neck (neck back) so that it's minimized. I don't really see the issue you talked about in your other post about the midsection as I think it's good.

It would be better if it was pressed so we could see it without the boxed wrinkles though :)

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the tailor and they said to fix this rip they can either pull the fabric together and sew it or take another piece of fabric behind it and “zig zag” it. The first option would be less secure and could rip again but the repair wouldn’t be as noticeable. What would you choose?

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to the tailor and they said to fix this rip they can either pull the fabric together and sew it or take another piece of fabric behind it and “zig zag” it. The first option would be less secure and could rip again but the repair wouldn’t be as noticeable. What would you choose?
Here was the original post. Maybe @Despos would know the answer? BAE79CBB-FC47-404B-A4E8-85B52212AB50.png

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Send a picture of the tear to a Reweaver and the cost estimate will tell you if it's worth it. Recently paid 125.00 to fix a hole that was barely 1/4" in size.
Taking in and sewing a seam as the tailor suggested is the best idea. If you had access to the same cloth (cut off from the hem or left over if the trouser was made for you) you could make a pocket flap and insert it on the pocket to cover the seam.
The zig zag not a good look.
Would tell you to put any repair money towards a new pair.

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Send a picture of the tear to a Reweaver and the cost estimate will tell you if it's worth it. Recently paid 125.00 to fix a hole that was barely 1/4" in size.
Taking in and sewing a seam as the tailor suggested is the best idea. If you had access to the same cloth (cut off from the hem or left over if the trouser was made for you) you could make a pocket flap and insert it on the pocket to cover the seam.
The zig zag not a good look.
Would tell you to put any repair money towards a new pair.
Thanks. I’ll just ask the what it will cost at the local tailor/dry cleaners. It’s a great workhorse grey tropical wool pants from hertling/epaulet. I think I spent about $75 for them. The rise is a little short for my liking though so I might just put it to a new pair.

bt-watzke

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just received my MTM suit from Lanieri, and I can't help but feel that the back is pretty messy. I know I probably need a sleeve pitch adjustment, but how would you recommend fixing the shoulder divots/wrinkles from the back?

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Moose22

Reaction score
I’d be more focus

I’d be more focused on the trousers. They appear quite short, the crotch area baggy and no drape.
Agree.

Though that entire suit is a trainwreck. The sleeves and the back are nowhere close.It's like they did massive waist suppression on a pattern that was made for someone without broad shoulders. I don't know that sleeve pitch will do anything for this.

Also, for op, it might help to try the thing on with shoes and a proper dress shirt, buttoned and tucked in. The sleeve length may be suspect, too, though it might just be how the coat sleeve doesn't end the same way as the shirt cuff that's fooling me. Or maybe you wear all your shirts shorter than I do.

bt-watzke

Reaction score
@DFWWingnut Oh I totally agree. The pants are the main reason why I'm going to ask for a straight up remake rather than waste time at the tailor. They were too short, too tight, and the rise was so short it was cutting into my nuts. I've attached pictures, in case you wanted to see that mess those were.

@Moose22 Yeah, these online MTM guys keep messing up my shoulder measurements. I always give them a measurement of 18", but then they hand me a jacket that's an inch or so smaller in the shoulders. I guess they don't trust me since I'm only 5'4"? But anyways, do you think that the pattern just doesn't suit my build at all? I agree with your assessment that perhaps their pattern is suited for someone who is slimmer and more rectangular.

Anyways, thank you two for the feedback. I'm slowly realizing I should just stop messing around with online MTM and should instead take my dumbass to a nearby tailor.

Attachments

• Pants Front.jpg
    Pants Front.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 149
  • Pants Side.jpg
    Pants Side.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Pants Back.jpg
    Pants Back.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 182

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads