The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Thanks gambit. Today's my tailor is coming to make some extra adjustments to this jacket, I would liked to see a tailor response on weather it could be shortened 1" or not, so I'll have to talk that with him. Also I will talk this that you commented me. Thanks again!

2. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

You can shorten it 1". No more

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Thanks OTC, it's going to be shorten by 0.5".

4. Shen

Shen Senior member

Is it possible to fix the problem in the unfortunately bad picture? I would describe it as a result of excess material connected to the bottom of the armhole and under it.

[​IMG]

5. jboy718727

jboy718727 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Newbie here. Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

6. NeedStyleHelp

NeedStyleHelp Senior member

Hey guys, as I promised, here are some better quality pictures. I hope this helps and please help me :)

7. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

This is either from sloping shoulders causing the cloth to collapse or it's from prominent chest. Does the fold of cloth go diagonal under your arm connecting to a similar fold under your blade? Is it just on one side or both?

8. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

since you're a newbie, try going back and reading the very first post on how to post proper pics. Other than that, what is very obvious about your jacket is the sleeves are too short.
    It's all we can tell without better pics.

9. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

sleeve shortening and waist suppression on the canali. Would avoid the cuff unless your style confidence is there. You look a little short for a cuff that high. This is purely based on proportions, though. I agree with little to no break, though.

On the CK, looks like the sleeves could be lengthened a bit and the pants could be hemmed to no break as well.

10. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

And start saving for good MTM...
    You have a very broad full back with prominent blades along with strong standing erect posture. You are an alterations tailor's nightmare and you will almost always have a hard time fitting into OTR

11. JimC

JimC Member

Please pardon the gratuitous bump. I'm really keen to hear people's thoughts. For what it's worth, I sent this back to the tailor for adjustment and it seems to fit much better now. The shoulders look more natural, there is less bunching behind the arms, and the trousers are a little less full. Unfortunately however, I have no photos available. But if anyone is willing to spare a moment I would love to hear your comments.

12. NeedStyleHelp

NeedStyleHelp Senior member

Thank you for the response OTCtailor. For reference, I am 5'8". What would an appropriate cuff height be, in your opinion?
    Are there any other glaring alterations that I should focus on that could fix the back of the jacket in either the Canali or CK?

Much appreciated, I'm always happy to learn.

13. Shen

Shen Senior member

Thank you for replying! I do have slightly sloping shoulders and prominent chest. But I'd say that the chest on the jacket is slightly too big, 1cm on the right and ½cm on the left (asymmetrical chect, barley noticeable folding on the left).The fold does not connect to a similar fold on the back, but it goes diagonally. Is it possible for a tailor to reduce the chest?

14. jboy718727

jboy718727 Well-Known Member

Hello once again and thank you for the help. I've taken new pictures and hopefully these new ones are acceptable. Please don't mind the iPhone adds on some of the pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ICantDress

ICantDress New Member

Hi there, I recently got this suit and was wondering how the fit was. Obviously the pants need to be hemmed, but I was also wondering what other alternations may have to be done. I am no expert in fit, but to a normal joe blow like me the suit looks like it fits fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]