1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by emptym, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Hendricks433

Hendricks433 Member

I've been looking for a cheaper first suit for a while(wear one maybe 2 times a year). I was browsing a Jcrew Factory store yesterday to kill time and some how found a navy suit and they had one pair of pants in a 30/30 that fit me(Felt like a miracle, need to get them slim'd down though). I got it for $153 with discounts. How does this fit? Its a 38S and the body of the jacket seems on the short side but they didnt have a 38R. Also I see an issue with my left should and I have that with virtually every jacket I've tried on in my search for a suit. If I keep it what I should I get done?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

The second one is too short, and I don't like the closed quarters. The first one looks nice though.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Hendrick's433, that looks pretty good to me for OTR. The sleeves look like they need to be shortened a bit. My only criticism of it would be stylistic: the lapels are skinny and the length looks a little short. But you may like those details, which are trendy now.
    Sorry I missed this earlier, S. JD and CD know much, much, much, more about tailoring than I do. The only thing I know about your question is that generally it's more time-consuming to do it with the side seam than the center seam, since it involves twice the cutting and sewing. In fact, some places charge twice the amount to do the alteration w/ the side seams. I'm not sure which is best. Variables in one's physique and the jacket's cut may determine that. It could even be that at times it's best to have all three done.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

thanks for the reply, m.

interesting stuff. i learned that with waist suppression you should go side seam or you throw off the vents. i have a jacket i need to take out, and there is no extra fabric in the side, only the back, and i am hoping that doing it that way will be ok. my tailor seemed fine with it, but i was looking for any and all opinions. also, if i dont like how it looks/feels, i can always have her take it back to the way it was.

5. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

Fat tends to accumulate toward the sides of the waist , not in the middle of your back, so that is where adjustments for girth should really be done. Alteration tailors who mess with the center back seam to adjust the waist are generally being lazy, except in the case of sway back.

2 people like this.
  6. in stitches

thanks, jeffery! that is a great point.

this tailor has done adjustments from the side for me before, and i was hoping to that again. but in this case it turns out there is just no extra fabric there, only about and inch of excess fabric in the center back seam. any reason to think this wont at all be effective or that it would mess up the jacket?

7. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

Depends on the original shape of the CB seam. Will it be effective in increasing the girth? Yes. Is it ideal? Not really, but it is better than the opposite, that is to say, suppressing the waist at CB which tends to create a mess. It's also better than not being able to wear it at all.

1 person likes this.
  8. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

If I may contribute here. If you need more across the front to comfortably button the jacket, letting out the center back is as far from where you need the cloth as you can get. If the center back seam is the only cloth available, you don't have much choice. Sometimes I will square the front shoulder at the neck to pull the cloth over the stomach and only if it doesn't effect the balance.
    It helps move the cloth where you need it but doesn't always work since if you have a belly you need more length over the fronts.

2 people like this.
  9. in stitches

you guys are awesome. seriously. its stuff like this that makes SF so great. i really appreciate the answers, JD and CD. thank you both very much.

10. iLLmAtiCiAn

iLLmAtiCiAn Senior member

Wondering if it is possible to make a dress shirt slightly larger in the body? Maybe like half an inch or maybe an inch?

11. Despos

^
    Nope. No outlet of extra cloth to work from in shirts

12. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

If you have darts, you can let them out.

Otherwise, no.

13. iLLmAtiCiAn

iLLmAtiCiAn Senior member

would moving the buttons a small amount work?

14. Despos

Depends where you need the extra room and how much extra room you need. Try, nothing to lose

moving the buttons on the front will create an awkward looking shirt as everything is centered.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  15. hombreingwar

hombreingwar Member

Happy New Year!
    My winter coat flares out at the bottom, I guess it's not normal? but fixable?
    Size smaller still flares out but in a less pronounced way. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    http://i.imgur.com/IHCcspd.jpg

16. Despos

Not much to go on from one side view that doesn't reveal much. Most often flaring of the skirt is related to balance issues but I think this one would improve by reducing the hip area of the coat. Coat balance looks like it has both a short front and back balance. Not 100% certain from the one picture provided

17. hombreingwar

hombreingwar Member

Thank you, I updated the photo (added frontal and the other side photo)

18. OTCtailor

OTCtailor Senior member

What does the jacket do when it's unbuttoned? Can you get pics of that?

19. Despos

Very short front balance. Proper fix is to open side seams, drop the back (shortening it) about 1 1/2" (maybe more). Reducing the front only at the side seams to take out excess cloth. If you only reduce the fronts and not shift the side seams the front will fly away more than it does already. You have a very low right shoulder that is contributing to the flare. That's why the left flares more than the right side.

20. aspasp

aspasp Senior member

anyone know a good tailor in NYC for a peacoat. Billy reid Bond Peacoat