• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

doctorman

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to make a suit purchase in the next few weeks or months and was wondering what everyone thought was the best bet under $1000. I've been looking at Benjamin Sartorial, Howard Yount and Kent Wang. I really would like to find one with the most natural shoulder possible. Any thoughts?

that's a great question. i'd like to know too. for the sake of discussion, i would really like to know what one can get for $1000 without waiting for a christmas/sample/once-a-lifetime sale. for the sake of the discussion, maybe we can exclude tax/tailoring, just to keep things simple. also, maybe we can avoid the "well, you know, for $200 more dollars, you can get this" recs...

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While your experience seems vast Riva, allow me to expand. In corporate America 99% of people will not actively care about the brand or fabric of the suit you wear and most will gauge it by the fit. While that may be important for superficial individuals who dress solely for the purpose of impressing others, that doesn't really matter around here. Additionally, most people can notice the quality of a higher end suit. While they may be unable to express why it looks nicer, many people can see the movement and fabric in a high quality canvassed garment wears superior to a Zara suit. It looks organic and lively, moves with the wearer like his suit whereas a Zara fused suit looks flat, something high school kids wear too short to clubs with loud house music.

Cut is essential, you're spot on there. That is why we listing these by quality, because cut is subjective and also differ greatly across brands. A 20 something like me likes a slimmer fit while an middle aged gentleman may prefer a more classic fit. We can both get the same quality in a silhouette that flatters our bodies and preferences. The idea of listing these by a less subjective matter allows any man to pick out the right suit (from the quality they can afford in the cut they prefer). Obviously, Oxxford fits very different than an Attolini but they will meet the needs of different people. Bringing cut into this discussion is a moot point.

Image is the reason we all wear a specific style, yes, however I do it because I want to match the image I have for myself, not necessarily because it projects outward for others (example: I work in marketing and most people take business casual way too far. I dress up and often get derided by coworkers for being a "suit" which is negative. I also live in Minnesota, where rugged work wear is strong and a man wearing a suit to the bar gets quizzical looks at best. I am doing it for me because I like it, not because my immediate connections also approve).

Comfort is definitely a factor, however for myself (and I think nearly every human being) you'd find that a canvased garment is infinitely more comfortable than a fused one. Fusing doesn't breathe, making you overheat more and it doesn't move, resulting in a stiff look and feel. I own a fused Hugo Boss suit and a Luciano Barbera by Attolini suit. They're both navy, cut very similar and get about the same amount of comments (the Attolini gets more even though people don't ever know LB). The Attolini is significantly more comfortable and moves a million times better. I never wear the Boss anymore. A cheap MTM suit will never have that and will never make the wearer feel as good, regardless of how many compliments it garners.

Also, wearing an Isaia coral pin on a Zara suit is the same as wearing a fake Rolex. You do it for only the most superficial reasons and not because you have any real appreciation of what makes the authentic product valuable. That's fine if you do that but for me it would be unacceptable.

MZhammer, have we ever get regular folks to rate which suit that's the same plain black color looks nicer on a person? I bet they choose the nicer one based on which one fits better on the person wearing it. They won't notice why one may drape better due to the full canvas. This is why I mention cut because the person asking the question was looking for the best deal as a first suit. Obviously we look for other qualities as we already know which brands, models, lines fit us best.

Right now I'm in a tropical country where it's almost as hot as a desert, so the most comfortable jackets are unlined. Having said that a person buying a first suit is budget conscious and unless he's willing to spend some more to get a Benjamin Sartorial I'm not sure where you can get full canvassed suit for less than $525. Though I recommend him to spend that much and get a Benjamin with all the acceptable elements of a true suit.

I know billionaires who wear fake watches because people don't care what they wear, their names alone are worth much more. But don't be fooled that they don't know what good quality stuffs are. I personally have 1 Zara suit for going to the factories where it's hell and a bunch of Isaias, Cornelianis, etc etc so yes being on this forum I truly give a damn about what's good but we're talking about image and that's all that matters when talking about a first suit. Heck it's all that's important when getting an OTR or MTM suit be it an Armani or Canali as you can spend a bit more for a no-name bespoke that's way more badass looking. Let's face it, this thread exists solely for the purpose of helping people looking for the best deals off the net.

tonylamer

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to make a suit purchase in the next few weeks or months and was wondering what everyone thought was the best bet under $1000. I've been looking at Benjamin Sartorial, Howard Yount and Kent Wang. I really would like to find one with the most natural shoulder possible. Any thoughts?

Sartorio suits on eBay can be had for under $1,000. Their natural shoulder is excellent, as is the drape and fabric.

McKriss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shopping under 1000$
Seller "sartoriale" on eBay always has exceptional suits in very competitive prices. We're talking Stile Latino, Sartorio, Caruso, Sartoria Partenopea and even Isaia for well under a grand. Seller "rosymimmo" offers Sartoria Parma and Ma.Co suits without reserve every week. "spenceclothing-italy" offers mainline Corneliani, PRL and more in very low prices, and they offer even more in their website spence.it (haven't bought anything from it, would appreciate any feedback). Finally, you can always resort to Yoox for Belvest, Sartoria Partenopea, Ravazzolo (my favourite), MP di Massimo Piombo (made by Kiton AFAIK), mainline Corneliani, Caruso, Canali, Cantarelli, Luciano Barbera and Sartorio, and many many diffusion lines. I like them as they come through with their refunds on time. Hope this helps, at least as a start.

tonylamer

Reaction score
Yes $500, full canvas, made in italy. But where are the selections?
frown.gif

As of today, you can choose from 38 listed on eBay. Just keep checking because new stuff pops up daily.

MDeKelver

Reaction score
I've looked at Yoox, but the details are not there, plus you cannot get any customer service to measure or give me codes on a suit before you buy it.

I like Ebay sellers 'Frieshskys' and 'topshelfapparel'. Get to know one or two brands. I know all of the Canali codes and bodies and know what I'm getting. Isaia should be easy to follow too. There are a bunch of 19 and 14 series Canali suits out now, which are the drop 8 bodies. 19 is extra slim.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Sartorio is Sartorio Napoli by Kiton. Whoever made the list just shortened the name.

I don't see anything under $595 even haggled probably down to $500 for jacket only. This goes back to the argument of "if you can spend a bit more". Any full canvas full suit alternative for $525 max?

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't see anything under $595 even haggled probably down to $500 for jacket only. This goes back to the argument of "if you can spend a bit more". Any full canvas full suit alternative for $525 max?

Nsuited has some belvests for 500 or so. EHaberdasher is close too.

tonylamer

Reaction score

What happened to $1,000?

I know from vast experience that you can buy those sportcoats for $500. You can pair them with a pair of Banana Republic flannels (<$100) and you'll get the look you want.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Benjamin is full canvas full suit at $525 so we're looking at that range now as to some people anything other than full canvas is crap (regardless of other properties like fabric, stitching, made in italy etc) and should be avoided. If jacket only I'd say there should be a new benchmark like for example $350? Bespoke starts at $1000.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads