• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

dirnelli

Reaction score
For anyone that is size EU56R/UK46R reading this thread and trying to find awesome deals online, and doesn't mind the idea of buying excellent quality second hand, then you should know that I'm selling every suit pictured on my WIWT blog, having now lost nearly 20 kgs.

Check out http://dirnelli.tumblr.com and send me a PM if you want to know more about a particular item.

My prices range from 50€ to 800€, and everywhere in between. Much of what I own is fully canvassed, with lots of handmade, and even some bespoke. I own just about every high end brand you could want to buy, as you will see from my comprehensive review: http://dirnelli.tumblr.com/search/review

PS. Before anyone asks, no, I'm not selling my Camps de Luca or my LVSN for 800€, those would be the only 2 exceptions. Everything else falls in the price range I mentionned.

Last edited:

McKriss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hi,Kriss
i wonder the MP quality is equal to kiton or sartorio?
Thanks!

I'm afraid I can't answer as I've never even seen them up close. One would imagine they would be on par, though. If you live in Europe, you could always order somethin from Yoox, examine it and send it back for a refund. Have tried it, works :satisfied:

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've looked at Yoox, but the details are not there, plus you cannot get any customer service to measure or give me codes on a suit before you buy it.

I like Ebay sellers 'Frieshskys' and 'topshelfapparel'. Get to know one or two brands. I know all of the Canali codes and bodies and know what I'm getting. Isaia should be easy to follow too. There are a bunch of 19 and 14 series Canali suits out now, which are the drop 8 bodies. 19 is extra slim.
I like them too, there was a write up on Noble Custom as well as a 10% off code for shopping at their website.

http://noblecustom.com/brand-highlights/frieschkys-the-best-menswear-store-that-doesnt-exist/

Excerpt by Mods request:
Frieschskys – The Best Menswear Store That Doesn’t Exist (Part 1)

OK, it does exist, but not in a traditional brick and mortar location. It may seem strange to buy your next Brioni suit over the internet but in this digital age why can’t your trusted haberdasher actually be online? Frieschskys has built a reputation, and a devout following on eBay, by offering guys the best of both worlds: great selection and prices they can stomach.
Think of it as T.J. Maxx’s cooler, older brother; the one in the leather jacket who looks like he could kick your ass. They do virtually the same thing as sites like Gilt or Yoox, they buy last season’s fashions or even entire stores that are closing down, but the difference is the selection. You don’t have to wade through a sea Greg Norman polos to find the good stuff, “we buy value” says owner Tim Friesch. A quick glance shows he buys value… and brands like Brioni, Ferragamo, Belvest, Canali, Zegna and Borrelli.

One of the great things about them is their constantly changing inventory. When they first started out, Friesch says he had to travel 3 days a week just to keep stock up but now he only has to travel once or twice a month, “word gets out, the clothing industry is pretty tight-knit.” Most items displayed for sale are in very limited quantity, giving you a constantly changing rotation of options. Don’t see exactly what you want today? Come back in a week or two and check again...

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm afraid I can't answer as I've never even seen them up close. One would imagine they would be on par, though. If you live in Europe, you could always order somethin from Yoox, examine it and send it back for a refund. Have tried it, works :satisfied:

I would take this statement with a grain of salt. Its true that when high end makers; Zegna, Isaia make for other brands the quality is usually at least on par. But Isaia for example which makes for the phineas cole line of Paul Stuart and is roughly the same or higher, also has made for collarosso or whatever its called, and those were of a lower quality. Basically my point is just because its made by a maker doesnt necessarily mean its gonna be on par

DoggieDay

Reaction score
As well as some other users I'm also real interested how anyone wd rank the Benjamin suits. As well as Kent Wang. A comparison between those two wd be exhilarating.

Furthermore - thank you everybody who has been contributing to this list. It has so far been very helpful on my endless road to wisdom.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As well as some other users I'm also real interested how anyone wd rank the Benjamin suits. As well as Kent Wang. A comparison between those two wd be exhilarating.

Furthermore - thank you everybody who has been contributing to this list. It has so far been very helpful on my endless road to wisdom.

I have a Kent Wang MTM and would rank it in the same group quality-wise as my Corneliani jackets.

I purchased (and returned) a Benjamin suit and it's hard to put it in one of the categories for this thread. It's full canvas and the fabric is nice, but it seems to fit some individuals (like me) in a very wonky way. Based on reading similar complaints from some, I think it is cut in a manner where there is little allowance/accommodation for fit issues. For example, the jacket I tried on had a very low collar, extreme collar gap, balance issues and the top button was pulling to the side. I'm not the easiest fit for an OTR jacket, but I've never trried on an OTR jacket and had a comparable fit disaster.

wsupjs

Reaction score
I have heard of people having those issues with the Benjamin suit.

However, I am one of those people that it fits extremely well OTR. I own two of them, and they are by far the best suit available in that price range. I cannot compare it to the highest level suits because my pockets aren't deep enough to have any of them at my disposal, but I can say it's the best suit I've experienced.

Personally, I'd rank it a 3.5 on the scale. It's definitely better than the 3 star suits I've owned or tried on, but I don't have enough experience with the 4 and 5 stars to say whether it meets their criteria.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard of people having those issues with the Benjamin suit.

However, I am one of those people that it fits extremely well OTR. I own two of them, and they are by far the best suit available in that price range. I cannot compare it to the highest level suits because my pockets aren't deep enough to have any of them at my disposal, but I can say it's the best suit I've experienced.

Personally, I'd rank it a 3.5 on the scale. It's definitely better than the 3 star suits I've owned or tried on, but I don't have enough experience with the 4 and 5 stars to say whether it meets their criteria.

It's a great suit for $500, but it's not in the same league quality-wise as Corneliani, Canali, E. Zegna, Samuelsohn and the other 3 star suits. Nor does it need to be as some of those suits retail for close to $2,000. When it fits, the Benjamin suit is a good value for $500.

wsupjs

Reaction score
It's a great suit for $500, but it's not in the same league quality-wise as Corneliani, Canali, E. Zegna, Samuelsohn and the other 3 star suits. Nor does it need to be as some of those suits retail for close to $2,000. When it fits, the Benjamin suit is a good value for $500.

That's fair.

My experience from the 3 star category was with Brooks Brothers (both lines), RLBL, and J Press. I personally thought it was better than those, but I do not have any experience with the other suits in the category.

XFactor

Reaction score
I know the above is for wool suits in general.

Are there any DECENT/ GOOD brands for Linen Suits? Value for Money - Starter v/s the ultra high expensive ones.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know the above is for wool suits in general. 

Are there any DECENT/ GOOD brands for Linen Suits? Value for Money - Starter v/s the ultra high expensive ones. 

Well this isnt really for "wool suits" specifically but more so on the quality of the brand itself. Most makers on this list make linen suits as well, so you can pretty much just follow it for those as well. Now if you are talking about makers who just do linen suits then i can't really help you there

XFactor

Reaction score
Tommy Hilfiger suits? Reviews/ Ratings? Have some on sale online.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads