1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

+ The Streetwear Suits and Blazers Thread +

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Parker, Oct 23, 2012.

1. johnsams

johnsams Member

There are many people who hardly know the difference between a blazer and a suit jacket. A blazer refers to a solid colored jacket with metal buttons, whereas a suit jacket is a jacket of a suit which has matching trousers.

For youngsters and graduates who have just finished college, a transition from the college jeans, t-shirt, hoodie rut to the streetwear suits can really make one look transformed for better. A fresh graduate needs to reevaluate his clothing choices and find himself a nice blazer prior to commencing his professional journey. I did the same as well…

2. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Regular readers of this thread however would surely already have read Arcane Details: Sidebar 1:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    9 people like this.
  3. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

Not sure where to post this so posting here again.

I did a quick photoshop mockup of some modifications to my Epaulet jacket:

- wider lapels
    - longer length (and correspondingly slightly lower buttoning point
    - 2-button (instead of 3-roll-2)
    - hacking pockets

my questions are (1) would lapels this wide (approximately 9cm) be too out of proportion with my frame, and (2) slanted/hacking pockets, yes/no?

Original:
    [​IMG]

Photoshop:

[​IMG]

4. Parker

Both look good to me. Personal preference. I prefer a thin lapel and maybe slightly thinner tie, no slant flaps. (Unless it's a more military English cut suit). Looking good dude!

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

uncertain of where to post, so..

I have a 2 button sports jacket in Harris tweed. Given the weight of the fabric, i´ve mostly worn it as outerwear, which makes the 2 button situation weird - i would like to cover up more when its cold. Would it be possible/adviceable to turn it into a 3 button jacket, sort of a 3-2 roll thing? So i could button the added top button and "pop the collar" when cold? Or is it just stupid?

6. Parker

good place to post!

It kinda depends how stiff/heavy the canvas is inside the lapels -- or if there is any interlining at all. If the the jacket has a heavier canvas, it might look bad if you added a higher button -- and tried to button it. Canvas (or whatever interlining is used) is cut so that the lapel roll stays in place. It has "memory" so it wants to roll to the same spot, usually to the middle button on a 3 button jacket or the top button on a 2. Additionally, the jacket collar is typically cut to match the angle/roll of the lapel.

So, if you buttoned the top button on a "3-roll-2" you basically force the lapel to roll up higher against its will, which can create weird pulls or bowing out of the lapels or make the collar gap. If the canvas and/or cloth is super light or there's none at all, like on a Barena or Boglioli K-jacket, it will be a easier to force close since there is no canvas structure trying to stay in place. Dry cleaners sometimes mistakenly press the lapels up to the top button. You can always try to press the lapels higher and see how it looks. Also, if you want to wear your tweed jacket like outerwear... pop the collar! and add a button to go in the lapel hole, that will keep out the chill.

a "3-roll-2" jacket buttoned the way up, courtesy of Yoox:

[​IMG][​IMG]

a true 3 button. lapels already rolled/pressed to the top button.

[​IMG]

caveat: this mostly applies to 'classic' type jackets. also, the above may not be technically or, for that matter, grammatically correct. :)

edited for clarity.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
    3 people like this.
  7. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Thanks for dropping some knowledge. Now I am less hesitant about ordering jackets off Yoox, or at least know how to better spot a 3-roll-2

8. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Thanks Parker!

I think i´ll try, or at least hear what "my" tailor says about it. The jacket is very classical, so I am sure it applies. As I intend to wear it more as outerwear, im no too worried about the forced lapels (but I agree it looks better in the second image).

9. lineate

lineate Senior member

I tried to do exactly this with a heavy corduroy jacket once. I had, I think, three different tailors tell me it wouldn't work and eventually backed down.

Parker's suggestion of the lapel hole button sounds really great though.

10. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

If you're mostly wearing it as outerwear, like popping your collar and want to keep warm, why not open up the top button hole in the lapel and add a button or throat latch to the underside of the other one, so you can close it all the way up?

1 person likes this.
  11. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^ I though about that as well, but if I keept it as a 2 button, there will be alot of "unbottoned" space in between the top button and the throat latch.

12. XGHXXN

XGHXXN New Member

Spring Summer is coming up in this hemisphere so the hunt for a light and decent blazer is def on.

13. eljimberino

eljimberino Senior member

@XGHXXN

I'm in the same boat. Hopsack or linen seems to be best material for summer.

14. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

True, though I've seen it done well. I guess it depends on the fit of the blazer.

15. lineate

lineate Senior member

You're right - and it can look weird.

I have a 2 button overcoat that has a top lapel button, but I've only ever used it on an obscenely cold day where I forgot a scarf.

Please ignore that fact that this is an ugly jacket, but the first and second pics show what a jacket that uses the top lapel button looks like done all the way up: http://oliverspencer.co.uk/lounge-jacket-navy-oskmp16

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  16. XGHXXN

XGHXXN New Member

the nanamica harbor jacket looks good but a bit heavy so I guess it's back to hunting the classic EG Bedford in navy twill

17. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

Sorry I'm new to blazers and know very little about them. My question is, would the waist feel the same on a 36S and a 36R? Or is the only difference the sleeve length and bottom length? Thanks.

18. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

technically, the chance from R to S should only be about the length, but I would think that there's some 'scaling' so even if the waist is the same measurement, it's going to sit higher or lower on the body. That's my hunch

19. oulipien

oulipien Senior member

This thread seems to be pretty dead but maybe someone knows—I'm looking at some Devoa suits; does anyone know if they're fused or canvased or what? Fascinate refers to an "interlining" but I don't know what the significance of that is.

20. happyriverz

happyriverz Senior member

Interlining can refer both to canvas and fusing, so that alone doesn't tell you whether it's fused or canvassed.