1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

+ The Streetwear Suits and Blazers Thread +

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Parker, Oct 23, 2012.

1. thats.mana

thats.mana Senior member

A friends wedding is coming up, although not soon would like to get a head start and check out some suits. Any yoox brands worth checking out? Looking for gray or navy and something light and breezy enough for South East Asia.

2. matt1985

matt1985 Senior member

Love that top jacket, any info on the brand? Would love to track it down, or something similar.

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I think those are all Engineered Garments....and the top one is possibly a....puffy wool Baker model jacket?

The fabrics vary from season to season, so particular iterations can be hard to track down.

4. matt1985

matt1985 Senior member

Thank you for the info, I'll start browsing around. Also is yoox the best place to find blazers similar to the ones in this thread? Will have to work my way through, some pretty awesome stuff here!

5. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I have this memory that it's a United Arrows jacket from a few years ago...

6. matt1985

matt1985 Senior member

Thank you! Will search when I get home. Really digging the engineered garments jackets, how have I gone so long without looking into them!

7. Matsa

Matsa Well-Known Member

Bumping this because it's a really good thread and because I recently bought this Ann D blazer from Yoox.

http://www.yoox.com/us/41447603VC/item?dept=men#sts=sr_men80&cod10=41447603VC&sizeId=6

Sadly I had to return it because it's too small. I know Ann is often large in the sizes so I took a chance and ordered a L but nope, tight over the chest and I couldn't lift my arms. It's a nice blazer though, I like that it's casual without going as much into workwear territory as for example EG Bedford (not that there's anything wrong with that, I like Bedford but it's a different style). Material and construction seemed pretty good although I have little previous experience with Ann D so I'm not sure what to compare with.

I would like to ask for some tips on similar jackets. I'm looking for a casual blazer for spring and maybe some summer so not too heavy. Preferably grey. I've been looking at some Barena but haven't found anything that I really like yet (but some that I sort of like).

I might just wait for this one from W+H, it's pretty close to what I want.

http://shop.wingsandhorns.com/colle...ducts/melange-linen-field-blazer-heather-grey

I quite like the pants too: http://shop.wingsandhorns.com/products/melange-linen-field-pants-heather-grey

8. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

WH's hidden placket blazers actually look quite good. I was surprised (though maybe not completely sold on the enlarged flaps)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Synthese

Wings and horns isn't going to be anything like the ann, though. You might look for Forme d'Expression on sale, which, although less romantic, may have some of the drape that you're looking for. And they tend to be anonymously unstructured, too - you could probably wear one with just about anything. If you like that W+H version, you could also try a zip blazer from Robert Geller, which toes the line between blazer and outerwear.

10. Matsa

Matsa Well-Known Member

Thanks Synth! I know that the W+H won't be like the Ann but it's another style that I also like, and I think it would work with some of my stuff. If I could find a Bedford in an interesting color I'd consider that as well.

I will look into Forme and Geller. I think I've seen the zip blazer you mentioned on eBay but not in my size. That's actually a great suggestion, so thanks!

11. Synthese

No problem. If you're interested in the Geller, and are a size 50 or 52 (this piece fits true), No Man Walks Alone has a great deal on the grey/charcoal version from this fall.

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/index.php/zipper-blazer-in-dark-charcoal-melange.html

1 person likes this.
  12. Matsa

Matsa Well-Known Member

Sweet! I'll look into that!

13. Matsa

Matsa Well-Known Member

The Geller zip blazer is too small in size 52 according to NMWA. A pity, I really liked that, anyone know if they even make them in bigger sizes than 52?

Ive been looking at some Forme, Barena and Poeme Bohemien, looks pretty decent but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for yet (whatever that might be). I did buy a Poeme blazer from yoox, mostly to see how they fit me.

Also on the subject of zippered blazers, this from Ubi Sunt looks interesting:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  14. eljimberino

eljimberino Senior member

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

diff material, similar cut: here

16. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

various white/cream/offwhite suits and blazers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14 people like this.
  17. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

Hi.

I'm reviving this thread to talk about my ongoing suit quest. I'm moving the discussion here because I'm trying to be sensitive to the other posters in WAYWT who may not want pages upon pages of suit talk in between space pirate and sand ninja fits, but I want to keep the discussion on this side of the wall because -- and I really need to make this clear from the beginning -- I am not looking to achieve "conservative business dress" or follow any other current CM trends. Which is not to say some won't sneak in but I don't want that to be the starting point.

So my stated objective at this point is to achieve a 70s/80s look minus the extreme trends that would border on anachronism (ie flared pants, 4"+ ties, etc). One of my sources of inspiration is the suits Roger Moore wore in his early Bond films. I've been thoroughly reading all the posts on Suits of James Bond to learn about the details. At times the pants were too flared, the lapels were a little too wide, and details like the "link cuff" where the jacket sleeves are buttoned at the end like a french cuff can probably be left aside, but the overall cut features a lot of elements that I think would work well for me; a lower buttoning point, longer jackets, fuller chests, trim waists, and full-cut pants.

[​IMG]
    medium-wide lapels, buttoning point at true waist just above belt, lower button just below belt, jacket length is on the longer side

[​IMG]
    full-cut pants, full break

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    deep vents

Tall, point (or moderate spread) shirt collars:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So anyway, with all that in mind, I purchased a used YSL suit I found on ebay for a steal because it appeared to incorporate a lot of these elements. It has the longer length, lower buttoning point, deep vents, and relatively trim waist. The pants are full-cut but stop short of being flared. The lapels are a pretty moderate 3 inches (which if I have copied I would probably increase to 3.5"). Here is the latest on how it is looking:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will probably skip the pocket square from now on.

I also grabbed a navy blazer. Lapels are 3.75":

[​IMG]

And on the shirt front, I'm working on a point/moderate spread collar with long/long-ish points to wear with these looks, but the first round has turned out too narrow, I think. I'm going to see if Luxire can widen the spread on this going forward, but what do you guys think so far?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here it is with the navy blazer and a 3.5" wide tie:
    [​IMG]

I don't think the height is quite right but I'm not sure how to fix this other than by increasing the collar band, which is already pretty large. I asked for 1 5/8 inch front collar band height, 1 13/16 rear collar band height, 2 inch rear collar height. Larger than that and the collar band starts to look too large. This is what the shirt looks like from the photos Luxire provided me before they shipped it:

[​IMG]

Anyway, thoughts/suggestions welcome; more on this as it progresses.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    2 people like this.
  18. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

Looks to me as though you have hit the intended mark pretty well, so perhaps one of the shorter quests one may undertake. I can't see anything in particular that needs changing to approach Roger's look.

you never expressed the intention (at least not as specifically as you have here) in the CM threads, so the advice given was in terms of how to improve the look, not how to make it look like an 80's suit. Like it or not, when you ask a group, that his its own norms, what to change they will encourage changes towards the norm - that is not a CM-specific phenomena.

19. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

I followed that discussion quite closely. I understood CM classical proportions but I agree they tend to have that sort of myopia, which I'm starting to get sick of seeing in the Pitti pics and some of the waywt (no padding at all! even though my shoulders are sloping 45'!). This has much more attitude than your epaulet suit, though that suit also works for what it is.

Especially in your frame I think the Roger Moore influence works. The lower V and buttoning point, the length, everything. Probably you could experiment with waist supression; just a little bit will already affect the look. Just pin the two back panel seams yourself and see how it looks in the mirror- adjusting the amount of surpression according to your taste. Definitely no spread collar; long narrow spear collar looks much better, button down or not. The pants are also fine; probably a bit of slimming in the thigh to get a subtle flare will do good, but it has to be just the right amount and probably take a few tries.

Oh, and go tieless but fully buttoned up with the tall point collar for that Basquiat awesomeness.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. Synthese

This is neither here nor there but Moore is the worse Bond ever and I have no idea why you would want to be like him in anything

(Roger if you're reading this it's just jealousy)

6 people like this.