• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

gimpwiz

Reaction score
From reading this thread I thought no back pockets on formal trousers is standard. Though most of the ones seen RTW have either one or two back pockets.

I might go pocketless on the rear from here on out as well. Not very useful. I mean it's a nice bit of visual decoration I guess but why bother? I only use front/side pockets in nice pants anyways. Jeans end up with random crap stuck back there, though.

eddyroxx

Reaction score
Hello gents, I have a general question I suppose regarding trousers.
Will I get any stretching-out from a 85/15 wool/mohair blend trouser after wearing?
I have an event this month requiring a tuxedo and i've put on some pounds in addition to about a years worth of cycling. The fit is tight around the thighs, especially when sitting.
I was 12 lbs lighter when I was fitted for it, I'm having my tailor pull out every millimeter he possibly can (How close can one get to the overlock stitching?)
I've only worn it twice, will wearing it some more possibly loosen up the fibers a bit?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gents, I have a general question I suppose regarding trousers.
Will I get any stretching-out from a 85/15 wool/mohair blend trouser after wearing?
I have an event this month requiring a tuxedo and i've put on some pounds in addition to about a years worth of cycling. The fit is tight around the thighs, especially when sitting.
I was 12 lbs lighter when I was fitted for it, I'm having my tailor pull out every millimeter he possibly can (How close can one get to the overlock stitching?)
I've only worn it twice, will wearing it some more possibly loosen up the fibers a bit?
No...mohair has no give at all. I had to give away most of my mohair suits.

cedarlake23

Reaction score
Apologies if this is not the place to post this question, but I'm a complete black tie novice and am getting married in August. I want to wear a shawl collar tuxedo for it. I want something classically styled like The Armoury's Model 101 but can't stomach paying that much for a garment I'll maybe wear once a year going forward. I've looked online and can't seem to find anything similar. Could anyone offer advice?

Going vintage seems like a great way to get something reasonably priced and classically styled, but I live in DC and can't find any shops that offer it. Does anyone know of a place in NYC that does? Also, if anyone could link a primer on traditional tuxedo do's and don'ts I'd appreciate it. For example, I know it should be a single button with jetted pockets, but stuff like fabric composition and color, back vents, etc. I have no clue about. Thanks in advance!

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this is not the place to post this question, but I'm a complete black tie novice and am getting married in August. I want to wear a shawl collar tuxedo for it. I want something classically styled like The Armoury's Model 101 but can't stomach paying that much for a garment I'll maybe wear once a year going forward. I've looked online and can't seem to find anything similar. Could anyone offer advice?

Going vintage seems like a great way to get something reasonably priced and classically styled, but I live in DC and can't find any shops that offer it. Does anyone know of a place in NYC that does? Also, if anyone could link a primer on traditional tuxedo do's and don'ts I'd appreciate it. For example, I know it should be a single button with jetted pockets, but stuff like fabric composition and color, back vents, etc. I have no clue about. Thanks in advance!
I agree, almost $4K is pretty steep. So what is your actual budget?

There are a decent amount of options, (MTO, MTM) and you have time…..Spier and Mackay, Proper Cloth on the lower end, No Man Walks Alone or Ring Jacket a bit pricier (but not Model 101 pricey)

As far as the dos and donts, just read through this thread, it really is the best place to find all your answers. If you have specific questions, list them out.

Persephone

Reaction score

Might you be willing to consider a British tailor? If you want good quality, and reasonable prices, perhaps have a look at Ede & Ravenscroft. They do offer online shopping and international P&P, but if you can combine it with a trip to London, they can certainly provide MTM services or even bespoke. https://shop.edeandravenscroft.com/...ere-tf-sb-shawl-dinner-jacket-m00220281301114
The trousers, shirt, and other accessories will have to be purchased separately, but with a bit of luck you can probably acquire everything for around £1,200 ($1,500).

symphvaria

Reaction score

You could just go to the Armoury and ask for a Ring Jacket Model 1 in the same configuration as their tuxedo Model 101. Literally the exact same thing but made by Ring Jacket instead of made in Italy.

acconrad

Reaction score

You've got time between now and August. If you're willing to get your measurements down squarely, you can find something on eBay. That's what I did - twice. I started with a RLPL tux and then ended up trading it in for a DB Kiton that fit me perfectly (literally, I went to the tailor just to have the pants hemmed, he said "I wouldn't touch anything else").

As long as you know your measurements (both sides), you can find fantastic deals that are impeccably styled. It just requires patience and perseverance.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got time between now and August. If you're willing to get your measurements down squarely, you can find something on eBay. That's what I did - twice. I started with a RLPL tux and then ended up trading it in for a DB Kiton that fit me perfectly (literally, I went to the tailor just to have the pants hemmed, he said "I wouldn't touch anything else").

As long as you know your measurements (both sides), you can find fantastic deals that are impeccably styled. It just requires patience and perseverance.
Just curious what does “measurements (both sides)” mean??

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I played a holiday pops matinee concert yesterday, with a local community orchestra. We wear black tie for performances, but for this concert, colored accents are suggested, so I wore red studs, links, socks, and laces, and a dark green bowtie. That evening some old friends and former bandmates were playing Neil Young, Dead, and other jamband fare at a small brewpub/divebar. Needless to say, I was conspicuous. The band was in T-shirts, jeans, knit beanies, etc ... with a guest trumpet player in a tux.

Wearing black tie in the most innapropriate situations can be exactly the right thing to do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads