• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do enjoy lurking in this thread, it's one of my favourites on SF.

I'd be interested to hear some opinions on knitwear with black tie, specifically substituting in a roll neck?

To a proper black tie event i would always stick to black bow, SB black dinner suit, proper marcella or pleated shirt, cuffs & studs, cummerbund for the waist, and patent opera pumps / patent oxfords.

However these events are rare for me, it is much more common that I attend events where black tie is appropriate or 'encouraged', however i know people will be wearing suits of all shapes, sizes, and colours. For example some charity events and boxing events. Classic black tie just feels a little overdone on these occasions, so i'm considering switching in a nice fine black rollback with a bit of lustre to it and perhaps my evening wear Rake x B&L Sagans (patent with a small bow up top, suede down below) to soften things up a bit.

A bit confused about a waist covering though, if there is no white shirt to peep out and look untidy I'd think it wouldn't be required? Also my trousers are set for suspenders, i usually wear white moire ones and would probably switch those out for black moire with black leather loops.

I personally like the look, in my minds eye at least. What are your thoughts? Any good pictures?

What is a roll-neck?

cweeks91

Reaction score
I think if you’re going to wear a tuxedo (Or any jacket with different facing on the lapels like velvet or grosgrain) a roll neck might look out of place. With a dinner jacket, maybe not but it still seems odd to me.

If you are going with a roll-neck, I’d go with a black suit instead

Perhaps you're right, I would like to avoid looking like i was going black on black on black to be all Hollywood and edgy (see black tux, BLACK SHIRT, black bow monstrosities ?).

cweeks91

Reaction score
...I do occasionally wear my leather pumps with a grosgrain bow with this as they are my dancing shoes but I think a black suede or leather loafer/slippers would be more sf orthodoxy

Never conform mate, I would never sacrifice the ability to really move for some stuffy rules. Plus your feet will be going so fast nobody will see.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you're right, I would like to avoid looking like i was going black on black on black to be all Hollywood and edgy (see black tux, BLACK SHIRT, black bow monstrosities ?).
go navy/midnight/charcoal suit...preferably with mohair sheen with black or midnight turtleneck for that minimalist scadinavian architect look...that's my going out for the night default if I can't decide what to wear...put a madder or polka dot silk scarf for a pop of color

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never conform mate, I would never sacrifice the ability to really move for some stuffy rules. Plus your feet will be going so fast nobody will see.
yeah my opera pumps are probably my favourite shoes apart from my chelseas...my shouldn't I wear them wherever I want and bend the rules abit

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a black tie event at our club that is last night. It’s an annual thing, and the crowd is mostly doctors and finance guys so all of them – especially the doctors – participate in multiple black tie events per year. Most of them seem to own their own tuxedos, not that that makes a huge difference when it comes to fit, etc. Plenty of dudes wearing something they found on the discount rack at Men’s Wearhouse.

This year I was struck by the number of guys wearing black bit loafers and the number of guys who didn’t seem to understand that the regular button on your formal-ish shirt is supposed to be covered by a cummerbund or vest. How can you look in the mirror, see four studs and one conventional button, and think that is the correct state of affairs?

Those pheasant feather bowties were also ubiquitous this year, but I’m in NC so that kind of **** happens.

Anyway, society is clearly ending. Eat trash, be free.

pickergc

Reaction score
From the Endymion Extravaganza last weekend. Same rig (read: issues), different year. I had bought some vintage pumps, but didn’t end up fitting unfortunately. So any of y’all US9/9.5 in need of some vintage pumps, dm me.

CF635828-DD43-4BC3-BE7B-3F55D40BA29B.jpeg

AD6E4171-5A5F-4FE0-AEAC-044FBFA49BFE.jpeg

5879EF69-3918-4CB4-865B-DD7972A381DA.jpeg

69E118FF-9523-4AD6-96AB-99F2926E280F.jpeg

9F2BD36C-EEE4-43E6-933B-9172FB7ABDDC.jpeg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that your personal wine cellar?

If so, I am very jealous. I figured it was the cellar of some restaurant you frequent.
I'm sorry, no, it is not my personal wine cellar. It is the wine cellar (or part of it, at least) of a restaurant in Saratoga, California.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw an ad for these this morning. Any takers?

View attachment 1343291
You know I would. Well, rather, I wouldn't buy it from Ralph Lauren. I'd have it made. But, my next jacket will veer in the opposite direction. I will be commissioning a Black Watch dinner jacket in a muted pattern from Caroline Andrew when I'm in London next week.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's what I thought. Nice cellar anyway!
?

It's a good cellar and an excellent restaurant. We use it for most of our birthdays/anniversary/celebratory dinners.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You know I would. Well, rather, I wouldn't buy it from Ralph Lauren. I'd have it made. But, my next jacket will veer in the opposite direction. I will be commissioning a Black Watch dinner jacket in a muted pattern from Caroline Andrew when I'm in London next week.
How did you decide to give her a try? What is the attraction?

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the Endymion Extravaganza last weekend. Same rig (read: issues), different year. I had bought some vintage pumps, but didn’t end up fitting unfortunately. So any of y’all US9/9.5 in need of some vintage pumps, dm me.
Are all those photos taken with an iPhone? Because it puts mine to shame.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

well I was asking for a 4 x 1 with roping RTW, guess RL has my answer, but I assume at a price that doesn't make any sense (and I want a more normal sports coat or suit)

p.s. I'm short and I think 4 x 1 would work better for me, on a side note I have a 4 x 2 I kind sometimes wear it as 4 x 1, wasn't as bad as I thought it might be (it lined up flat reasonably, so not like I try to mis align buttons...)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads