• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Reaction score
Have a midnight blue tuxedo (almost black) coming, and I ordered a bow tie in matching midnight satin. If I wanted to change it up, I'm assuming black satin bow tie would be ok. How about black velvet? Would it be weird to swap in a dark burgundy or bottle green? Event is black tie but not strictly traditional. thank you :)
Velvet bow ties are quite common, especially with velvet and other less formal jackets. Do stick to black, it is black tie, after all. Not dark burgundy tie. If you want to incorporate dark burgundy, bottle-green, or other very subdued colours, try some velvet or smocking jackets paired with black trousers.

jrdadbod

Reaction score
Velvet bow ties are quite common, especially with velvet and other less formal jackets. Do stick to black, it is black tie, after all. Not dark burgundy tie. If you want to incorporate dark burgundy, bottle-green, or other very subdued colours, try some velvet or smocking jackets paired with black trousers.
Sounds great, thank you!

Big Phil

Reaction score
Thoughts on black velvet slippers with a black tuxedo? I’ve heard they’re uncomfortable, but not sure. Was thinking of going with the black Plain Albert slippers from Crockett & Jones. But would also consider other brands / shoe options.

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
Thoughts on black velvet slippers with a black tuxedo? I’ve heard they’re uncomfortable, but not sure. Was thinking of going with the black Plain Albert slippers from Crockett & Jones. But would also consider other brands / shoe options.
My thoughts are that enough people do it that you won’t look out of place. If it’s a black tie party at a home or in a relaxed environment, I don’t see anything wrong with velvet slippers. However, if the event calls for a more rigid adherence to formality and a more traditional black tie ensemble, go with shiny oxfords or pumps.

Last edited:

archie824

Reaction score

@gimpwiz I called a few tailors mentioned and either there wasn't a solid availability or they said they didn't do alterations and gave me recommendations. I ended up just going with one of the recommendation provided.

How is this fit now? I feel like this looks and feels great, but wanted to get some expert eyes on it!
I saw some horizontal back wrinkling but it goes away if I'm not looking over my shoulder.

6'1 165lbs 38R Slim @ Spier & Mackay

Last edited:

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Yeah, there's definitely irony in that to see if your back looks good you look over your shoulder, which makes the back wrinkle ;) but you look much better, man. Way better. Carry on with confidence.

There's always room to improve a bit, but at this point and after all the back-and-forth, I suspect it's probably not worth worrying about. You're gonna look great for your big day.

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score

@gimpwiz I called a few tailors mentioned and either there wasn't a solid availability or they said they didn't do alterations and gave me recommendations. I ended up just going with one of the recommendation provided.

How is this fit now? I feel like this looks and feels great, but wanted to get some expert eyes on it!
I saw some horizontal back wrinkling but it goes away if I'm not looking over my shoulder.

6'1 165lbs 38R Slim @ Spier & Mackay

I’m no expert but I think that looks very good. I think it was worth the effort to get to where you are now.

I think you mentioned that this is for a wedding, right? If so, do me a favor and don’t let them pin a little tree branch on your lapel like so many wedding florists do, especially in the US. Get yourself a proper boutonnière that threads through the button hole on your lapel. It can even coordinate with your wedding flower colors and, if applicable, your partners bouquet.

04952F7C-A7F3-43BC-AD2A-8525A500A78C.jpeg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a midnight blue tuxedo (almost black) coming, and I ordered a bow tie in matching midnight satin. If I wanted to change it up, I'm assuming black satin bow tie would be ok. How about black velvet? Would it be weird to swap in a dark burgundy or bottle green? Event is black tie but not strictly traditional. thank you :)
If the event is not something like a gala or a very formal function I think you have some latitude. My advice would be, first time wearing your new dinner jacket, to stick with the midnight blue tie or a black satin one. If the facings on the jacket are not black (and I hope they are midnight), then the midnight tie will look good with the jacket.

Once you're comfortable wearing the dinner jacket, you can experiment with other looks. Personally, I don't like bottle green with midnight blue, but burgundy might look good. I think a black jacket gives you a bit more leeway with different color ties, and beige or ivory jackets more leeway still.
Once again, if the event is not formal, then velvet slippers are fine. Like any shoe, some makes will be more comfortable for your feet than others. For example, I've found Stubbs and Wooten to be rather narrow and hence less comfortable than some others. I like Mount Street Shoe Company, which fit me much better.

archie824

Reaction score
I’m no expert but I think that looks very good. I think it was worth the effort to get to where you are now.

I think you mentioned that this is for a wedding, right? If so, do me a favor and don’t let them pin a little tree branch on your lapel like so many wedding florists do, especially in the US. Get yourself a proper boutonnière that threads through the button hole on your lapel. It can even coordinate with your wedding flower colors and, if applicable, your partners bouquet.

View attachment 1937703
Are they not actual flowers? Where is a good place to get one?

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
Are they not actual flowers? Where is a good place to get one?
You can find a silk boutonnière from many shops that sell menswear items. Or, have your florist prepare something similar from a real flower. Those mini-bouquets that florists often pin to grooms seem to engulf the lapel and look a bit tacky to me. They draw the eye away from your face and sometimes weigh the lapel down. You see them all over Pinterest and florist websites.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife and I will be attending a wedding in Lake Como during the first week of September. It is a destination wedding which will be attended exclusively by Americans (present company excluded). It will be Black Tie beginning at 5:00. Dusk will be around 8:30. Average lows will be 62 degrees and average highs will be 72 degrees. My options:

1. Wear my Despos midnight blue SBPL dinner jacket that adheres to all of the rules.

2. Wear my Zegna black OTR tuxedo that deviates slightly from the rules (vest uses different fabric) and fits well but is certainly not at Despos level.

3. Commission a double vested ivory shawl lapel jacket (with black tuxedo trousers of course).

Thoughts?

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
My wife and I will be attending a wedding in Lake Como during the first week of September. It is a destination wedding which will be attended exclusively by Americans (present company excluded). It will be Black Tie beginning at 5:00. Dusk will be around 8:30. Average lows will be 62 degrees and average highs will be 72 degrees. My options:

1. Wear my Despos midnight blue SBPL dinner jacket that adheres to all of the rules.

2. Wear my Zegna black OTR tuxedo that deviates slightly from the rules (vest uses different fabric) and fits well but is certainly not at Despos level.

3. Commission a double vested ivory shawl lapel jacket (with black tuxedo trousers of course).

Thoughts?
If you’ve got an excuse to get a double-breasted ivory shawl jacket, take advantage of the opportunity!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?
Option 3 obviously. Any chance to commission new stuff, you have to take it.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts?
Option 3, but we are bad influences & we aren’t paying the bill / dont have to deal with a wife that sees money disappear from the bank account.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics