• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Big Phil

Reaction score
Hey all - first time posting here.

I’m looking to buy my first tuxedo and was wondering if anyone had suggestions of places to go in NYC. I’m considering RLPL and The Armoury but would be great to get other suggestions (in the $3500 and below range).

And I was thinking of going with a midnight blue instead of black.

Thanks!

Faux Brummell

Reaction score

I’m looking to buy my first tuxedo and was wondering if anyone had suggestions of places to go in NYC. I’m considering RLPL and The Armoury but would be great to get other suggestions (in the $3500 and below range).

Thanks!
100% yes on the midnight blue.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!
You won’t get proper purple label in that price range. the Armoury would be your best bet for your price range or you could try b&tailor‘s Or no man walks alone’s mtm. Maybe Vestucci / bemer mtm

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You won’t get proper purple label in that price range. the Armoury would be your best bet for your price range or you could try b&tailor‘s Or no man walks alone’s mtm. Maybe Vestucci / bemer mtm

FWIW, The Armoury hundred series MTM suits are made by the same factory as RLPL and are about $3500

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s good to know, thanks.

Yeah I’m leaning towards The Armoury hundred series MTM. It’s $4200, so I’m just trying to decide if I want to spend that.

When is your wedding/how much lead time do you have? I have had great experiences with Divij Bespoke, he visits NYC quarterly and you would need at least a couple months lead time but its under your $3500 price point and a quality product

Almost all of @Andy57's black tie rigs are Divij...plenty of pics of his stuff in this thread

Big Phil

Reaction score
When is your wedding/how much lead time do you have? I have had great experiences with Divij Bespoke, he visits NYC quarterly and you would need at least a couple months lead time but its under your $3500 price point and a quality product

Almost all of @Andy57's black tie rigs are Divij...plenty of pics of his stuff in this thread
It’s end of September so I have a decent amount of time.

Thanks for the tip - I’ll check out Divij Bespoke and @Andy57 ’s thread!

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All but my red jacket.

Other options, perhaps: Sartoria Gallo NY, Angel Ramos. I have no information on prices, but both places do good work (disclosure: I have a couple of pieces underway with Angel Ramos).

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Anyone have anything good to say about Wazin since you're in NYC? IIRC, prices would be closer to half that, and you'd get all the fixin's. I can't speak to handwork where it matters, though. I'm not sure I'd pay what RLPL is charging.

jrdadbod

Reaction score
Question about cufflinks…. Do they need to match my shirt studs? Wearing midnight blue tuxedo, which pique front shirt. Traditional and not flashy. I’m curious about cufflinks/other ways to personalize my outfit in a subtle way. Also looking for a matching gift for my best man. Thanks!

papado

Reaction score
Anyone have anything good to say about Wazin since you're in NYC? IIRC, prices would be closer to half that, and you'd get all the fixin's. I can't speak to handwork where it matters, though. I'm not sure I'd pay what RLPL is charging.

My tux is from Wazin and I have nothing but positive things to say. I'm a long time client from an alterations perspective and had some pieces made before, but dropped 40lbs+ since when they were made a couple years ago so we started anew for my tux last year for a friend's wedding.

The higher level custom ran around ~1800 for a basic tux fabric (I went with Midnight Navy; shawl lapel; cocktail/gauntlet cuffs). Solid value for the price and quality and I think turnaround time was 8-12 weeks but I know this is busy season for wedding orders so it may be longer (but still good if I read correctly someone is looking for September).

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question about cufflinks…. Do they need to match my shirt studs? Wearing midnight blue tuxedo, which pique front shirt. Traditional and not flashy. I’m curious about cufflinks/other ways to personalize my outfit in a subtle way. Also looking for a matching gift for my best man. Thanks!
Cufflinks and studs don't need to match, especially if there is something special or meaningful about one or the other set. I suppose they typically do, but I don't think it's required.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lavalier microphone is the latest must-have black tie accessory.
IMG_4519.jpeg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cufflinks and studs don't need to match, especially if there is something special or meaningful about one or the other set. I suppose they typically do, but I don't think it's required.

Agree. I don't think they have to match. They certainly can. I do think they should be consistent. For example I have a set of lapis studs - I generally wear these with a pair of navy crystal cufflinks. I wear sterling cufflinks with sterling studs, but they aren't a matched set (studs gift from parents, cufflinks from my grandfather).

I wouldn't, for example, wear lapis studs with red cufflinks or something.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree. I don't think they have to match. They certainly can. I do think they should be consistent. For example I have a set of lapis studs - I generally wear these with a pair of navy crystal cufflinks. I wear sterling cufflinks with sterling studs, but they aren't a matched set (studs gift from parents, cufflinks from my grandfather).

I wouldn't, for example, wear lapis studs with red cufflinks or something.
Yes, exactly. Or, if, let's say, I had a pair of cufflinks that were of sentimental value and that were colorful or eye-catching in some way, I would seek to use a set of studs that were as simple as possible. And vice-versa.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads