The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

I'm not sure why the staff getting black tie right annoys you. Back when people actually followed the rules for formal dress by and large so too would the staff (albeit sometimes with the shorter coats specifically designed for food service).

Oh, and the burgundy tie, according to Black Tie Guide, is specifically only correct when paired with a burgundy cummerbund and used with a white/off-white DJ so either they really knew what they were doing or just got really lucky that the chosen tie was acceptable only with the chosen jacket and would have been considered incorrect with a black DJ.

2. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

My hesitation with the white jacket would be that it is something typically used in tropical, warm-weather environments. It is also less formal than the matching dinner jacket. So while the groom is differentiated from the groomsmen, he ends up being the least formal of the bunch. My recommendation would be to just wear the black matching dinner jacket for the entire evening.

The suggestion that someone else made about the vest (not one of those high ones) for the groom and cummerbunds for the groomsmen is a good one. The groomsmen could also do shawl collars. You could also have the groom wear a white pocket square while the groomsmen go without.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I like dopey's suggestion, but I'd like to see a madras jacket like this:

[​IMG]

4. TimelesStyle

What about something less formal but also less "tropical" such as a velvet shawl collar DJ? I don't honestly think anyone would notice the slippers, hence they wouldn't achieve the desired impact.

5. denning

denning Senior member

I just picked up this jacket. Need to nip and tuck and shorten the sleeves, but I'm looking forward to next year's holiday season.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The slippers were more for his benefit and enjoyment than for show.
    A velvet, shawl collar DJ would be kind of cool. Get one with frogging and you basically have a smoking jacket, which is what I was suggesting. It is a bit OTT and pointless, but if that is what he wants, that is what I would suggest. The madras/tartan ones posted don't seem right for a wedding.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013

7. TimelesStyle

I don't think I'd go with a smoking jacket and would prefer a sleeker design. Single button, shawl lapel, most likely in black (could be talked into liking burgundy or a dark forest green, though). I would not, however, do the jacket swap if wearing a waistcoat. For some reason I think a cummerbund is better suited to anything other than a SB PL black/midnight DJ.

8. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

He is going the cummerbund route, so I suppose a switch would still work. I think that the black velvet dinner jacket idea (shawl collar, one button) seems pretty good, I'll pass that one along to him.

Velvet slippers seems interesting (and maybe along with the velvet DJ switch?), so I'll mention that too and see what he thinks.

9. TimelesStyle

Not sure what his financial situation is, but Suit Supply has one for under $400, may be worth pointing out to him. For some reason velvet jackets that are actually appropriate as dinner jackets aren't the easiest to find.

Still doesn't necessarily solve the other issue. Tell me, are the groomsmen all doing the same exact tux, or is each simply responsible for getting a tux (which will dictate whether something about the suit can be the differentiating factor)?

Particularly if each is procuring his own, I would suggest going the fly-front shirt route with the hidden placket. The vast majority of formal shirts come with either a removable placket or really cheap/crappy studs and this will save them from having to purchase a real set.

10. OTM

OTM Senior member

I am hereafter looking for opportunities to somehow justify a deep-red smoking jacket.

11. TimelesStyle

H&M sells one for $129? Seems good enough to me...

12. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I think we all need to start posting pics of our dinner jackets...

13. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

Subtle, Variation I: groom wears flower to match bride, groomsmen wear same flower in a color that matches bridesmaids
    Subtle, Variation II: groom wears flower to match bride, groomsmen wear a different flower in the same color (calla lily/tulip for example)
    Unsubtle: groom wears tailcoat, groomsmen wear tuxedos

Mine was at 6:30 I had everyone in tailcoats with "Subtle II" flowers.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

14. TimelesStyle

If the wedding calls for black tie, I'm curious what's so inappropriate about the groom in white tie and the groomsmen in black? I thought I remember reading in a thread here that it's always acceptable to wear white tie attire to an event calling for black tie but not vice versa.

It's not a solution I'd personally go for (were I the groom), but I don't know that it's "incorrect" per se.

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I think it's slightly offensive to wear white tie and force everyone else to be underdressed by wearing black.